Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat mat installation

• 24-04-2011 2:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Installation of a heat mat is this ok
    new house built 2008 so insulation in concrete floor to standard
    1.lay mat onto concrete floor
    2.apply tile adhesive over it and set tile onto it.
    using flexible adhesive and grout.
    Is this ok??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

i put some of this down recently in a small bathroom. i was a bit concerned about damaging it with the trowel when laying down the tile adhesive so after i laid the mat i put self leveling compound on top then laid the tiles on top of that. i also had to bring up the level of the floor so using the compound was a must. which mat did you go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭pod2011

Looking at this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VYSAL-Electric-Underfloor-Heating-Mat-10m-Conc-Floor-/120703944978?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item1c1a840912

for hall and kitchen, might be expensive to run tho,
    Is it ok tho to just tile on top of the mat without selflevelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

the type in the link looks very similar to the one i used. got mine up in atc in tallaght. the size of the mat will effect the power consumption, ie the larger it is the more it will cost to run.
    i was worried about damaging the element with the trowel but according to the instructions tiling straight onto it is ok.
    it looks like the stat and the controler is not included and you will have to buy them seperately. you can usually buy a controler with a built in clock, its more exspensive but gives you the option of having it timed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

Advertisement