Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Year out

• 24-04-2011 2:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I am thinking of taking a year out of school after the L.C for a few reasons.
    1.To concentrate on bodybuilding for the year
    2.Dont want to be juggling my passion and school work around in college and ease up on one or the other at some stage and i can imagine it would be the latter.
    3.Dont really know what i would like to pursue career wise and also the main course i would like would be something to do with exercise and health and because i only realized my interest late 2009 and had my subjects picked for the senior cycle it has left me wanting to do course to do with physical activity and health and not even doing one science subject in school

Is anyone else doing a course in exercise and health or something similar or thinking about it, also is there anyone thinking of taking a year out and if so is it to try make funds for college or for what other reason, Thoughts. . . .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I think you should go for it if theres something else you want to do for the year, and especially if you don't know fully what you want to apply for. What you could do is just use the year to repeat 1 science subject if you were going to apply for a science course. You could still use the points from this year and then just get the requirement next year, and only doing 1 subject would still leave time for anything else you wanted to do? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Dilsheen

I think you should go for it if theres something else you want to do for the year, and especially if you don't know fully what you want to apply for. What you could do is just use the year to repeat 1 science subject if you were going to apply for a science course. You could still use the points from this year and then just get the requirement next year, and only doing 1 subject would still leave time for anything else you wanted to do? :)

Thats a very good idea, i wonder would i have to take two years out though to get the full senior cycle biology course done or what would be the story there, i should enquire about this in school, very good info thanks very much QueenOfLeon!

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Dilsheen wrote: »
    Thats a very good idea, i wonder would i have to take two years out though to get the full senior cycle biology course done or what would be the story there,
    I'd say you could do it easily in a year.You would have plenty of time if that was the only subject you were doing.I know a few people who went back to school for a year to take up a new subject for entry requirements.Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Dilsheen

I'd say you could do it easily in a year.You would have plenty of time if that was the only subject you were doing.I know a few people who went back to school for a year to take up a new subject for entry requirements.Best of luck!

Thanks man, yeah it could well be done in a year but im just wondering would i have to go for night classes aswell as during the school day.Its such a pity i didnt pick one at the time but i had my priorities messed up and hadnt met sense at that stage either so its just unfortunate but i will definatly check out with the school and possibly my career guidance teacher about routes i could take, she hasnt really been helpful this year thus far.

Ill check out careersportal and some of them websites aswell and see if i can get any light shed on the matter also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Well put it this way. For our option subjects we get 5 classes a week. Thats 5x40 mins a week which gives us 3hrs and 20 mins a week. If you did your science subject for an hour everyday, 5 days a week you would definitely cover the course with plenty of time for revision! Doing one subject in one year is very doable. Some students do a subject on their own in a year along with the leaving cert. If you just do something on it every week you'll be well on your way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭FredBaby!

I took a year out this year because I felt way too young to be going to college (also I didn't have a fig about what I wanted to do!). I'd say it's one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Like you said OP, you want to concentrate on your bodybuilding. I did a load of creative writing classes this year and I don't think I would have had the chance to improve my writing had I been juggling course work, a social life and moving away from home.

So, from my experience, I'd say go for it!

Advertisement