Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem weaning calf off milk

• 24-04-2011 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

We have weaned our current batch of calves off milk and they were all doing well on meal and free access to barley straw and hay added occasionally..

However one calf refused to take anything only meal, now he has a scour..
    Had to put him back on milk and reduced meal ration but still not interested in anything only milk & meal... Scour is easing but he's got thin

Put some hay in his mouth and he chewed it up and swallowed it so I know he can..he just won't.. Have him isolated and he's sulking now too:rolleyes:

They're due to go out to grass next week, he will pick at grass if I bring it to him but I reckon if he went to grass it would run through him as I feel he hasn't eaten enough roughage..

Currently mixing hay through his meal to encourage him but I don't really know what to do next ??
    Any suggestions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

You might be better off leaving him on milk and meal until he gets a bit of condition back and try him again:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Well i tried him out with the rest...
    No go... as I thought he scoured badly on and off.. No bother taking meal or grass but just scoured..

Have him back in on the milk again, scour already drying up..
    Me thinks maybe he didn't get much beastings in the first 24 hours, the other 13 in the group are all fine and thriving..

Have him in with a 7 week old HEX heifer we bought (€200) so they'll be on milk for 2-3 weeks and then we'll see...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

what type of a scour is it... did he get vecoxan or similar ?

whelan1 wrote: »
    what type of a scour is it... did he get vecoxan or similar ?
    Didn't get vecoxan, vet saw him and recommended Stimulex which definitely helped cleared it up for a time..
    When on milk it looks like a nutritional scour, no blood, no temperature. On grass he's dirtying right from the tail down the legs, green of course..

Has a savage hunger for milk and meal but he doesn't even pick at hay or straw, even when he isn't scouring, I've never seen that in a suck before :confused:

Well the calf is doing great again.. no scour at all for a week now :D
    Has been back on the milk and for the first few days I gave him natural youghert as well.. He's finally eating hay/straw and have been slowly building back up the meal, now on .5kg a day.
    Reckon next weekend will see one milk feed cut out and we'll see how it goes..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Have you a paddock near the yard that you can let him out to and still feed him milk? Is he on a teat or bucket? If he is on a teat you could hang one on a gate for him, eventually he will start eating. He should be eating 2kg meal/day before weaning.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭zetorman

Going off on a tangent here ......but how do ye actually wean the bucket fed calves ???? I gradually decrease the amount of milk fed and increase the amount of nuts fed ??? How much nuts should they be eating before you withdraw the milk completely ??????

zetorman wrote: »
    Going off on a tangent here ......but how do ye actually wean the bucket fed calves ???? I gradually decrease the amount of milk fed and increase the amount of nuts fed ??? How much nuts should they be eating before you withdraw the milk completely ??????

We make sure there is plenty of barley straw in the manger, some hay too but not much, this is from they arrive.. fresh water all the time even though the just nose through it..
    About 4 weeks into feeding we introduce pencils, again not much or the crows take over :rolleyes:
    By 8 weeks of milk they are on 1kg meal and we half one of the daily feeds for a week, then stop it. Half the remaining feed for a week and then stop it...
    Keep them on 1kg meal and lots of barley straw/hay/silage...
    Train them loose in the yard with the electric fence..
    Then to grass with the 1kg meal all the time..

bbam wrote: »
    Well the calf is doing great again.. no scour at all for a week now :D
    Has been back on the milk and for the first few days I gave him natural youghert as well.. He's finally eating hay/straw and have been slowly building back up the meal, now on .5kg a day.
    Reckon next weekend will see one milk feed cut out and we'll see how it goes..

Well, this calf has been off the milk now and out with others on grass, eating 1kg meal/daily and dunging like a trooper:D
    While he has been stunted growth wise he has a good appetite and will hopefully come into something at some stage..
    As the father used to say, "if he lives he might cover his costs at least, a dead calf is dead money"

Advertisement