Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refused Tesco Credit Card

Options
  • 24-04-2011 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I recently applied for a Tesco Credit Card and got denied.

When would it make sense for me to re-apply for it or any other credit card?

I'm not really sure whether this would be affected in my credit history and I'm not really sure whether I even have a credit history as I moved to Ireland Feb 2010 and I only have current accounts - no loans, no other credit cards.

I applied online and I think it said that if my application was successful they'll send me a paper form to fill in that authorises them to do a credit check. So I think that they haven't done a check because I just got an unapproved letter but not sure whether they have the authorisation to send a credit report of the denied card.

Any recommendations on what makes the biggest difference in credit card application as they wouldn't provide any details? Date started current job maybe?

I use mostly NIB but preferred to go to Tesco because of their rewards program that I have used already, NIB don't have rewards. I also have an Ulster Visa Debit for some online sites but it's mostly an idle card and an old BOI account that I will close soon as I moved all my direct debits to NIB. Didn't really like BOI as their online banking is so 90s.

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

NIB offer a MasterCard with Easy or Freedom. They also do Visa for non-package customers. I assume you're on a new Danske plan?

They don't offer rewards but they will consider an application based on your custom.

MBNA offer reward cards, so have a look at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mtsachev

I assume it's a new Danske plan since I opened it last Oct and it's still on the site. It's called Personal Access.

I didn't see any rewards listed for MBNA:
    http://mbna.ie/card-services-benefits/card-benefits/index.html

unless you mean their co-branded cards like sony but I don't want to marry sony.

I would guess based on the Tesco refusal though that my safest choice would be to stick to NIB if I apply for a card soon.

For the moment I plan to wait for 1 month + some extra time to make sure that if Tesco submit something to my credit history it's there and get a check on my credit score myself to see if this negatively affected my credit score. And I guess a phone call to NIB asking them about credit card pre-conditions rather than applying :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

Personal Access is the Danske package. Its their basic bank account and does not come with a MasterCard. You need to go to Freedom or Easy, anything above costs (easy plus + gold card 18.75 per quarter etc)

Tesco will already have left a footprint on your ICB record. When any institution accesses your credit report its recorded.

Best thing is to call NIB and see what they offer. The MasterCard is the best option, but the also offer Visa as a standalone product.

MBNA with their co-branded cards offer rewards like pigsback.com or AXA insurance etc.

If you want a really good reward card then look at AIB Platinum. That offers 0.5% on purchases. You need to spend over 5,000 before the rewards kick in. Say you spend 6,000 you will get .5% on the 1,000 - this adds up and is credited to your account each month.

The salary requirement though is €50,000.

Advertisement