Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SRAM gear lever repair

• 24-04-2011 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi, I have a Boardman road bike and the SRAM gear lever for the rear gears has stopped working and I'm stuck in the highest gear. It's like the cable has snapped. Does anyone know the best place in Dublin where I could get it repaired?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

You should have got a years warranty from Halfords with your new Boardman. I think the problem is sram, I got a new Boardman hybrid this week and the front gearchange lever doesn't work.

They might be open today.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 pbyrneirl

Thanks, the bike is almost 2 years old now. I was hoping for an alternative to Halfords, they didn't seem great when I brought it in for a tune-up soon after I got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Exact same thing happened my SRAM Rival shifter lately. My LBS said the indexing mech had completely worn down.

As far a I know SRAM have a 2 year warranty period but you would still need to go through where you bought the bike.

I was lucky in that Planet X just posted me a new shifter, no problems. Would have cost €200+ for my LBS to fit a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Hi there,

I'm not allowed to advertise on here, but if you Google the address on my page my facebook page will come up, most shops won't re-build shifters these days but I will, if it's possible of course, SRAM shifters are great and very rarely break but Boardman have fitted a three speed indexed shifter to their flat bar double ringed road bikes which annoys me!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Sram is ****ing ****, I wouldnt put it on any of my bikes, when you repair bikes over time you notice parts that constantly fail, and Sram is a disaster, their shifters and rear mechs, particularly their mid to low range is dire. Compare that to shimano, where you get bikes with 20 year old stx on it and its still working like a dream. Sram works grand, its the Durability thats abit of a joke.

Boardman bikes offer 1 year guarantee on labour and manufacturing defects(its in the manual) Bit of a crap guarantee for a bike you could have spent 2k on. OP bring it to a mechanic and hell tell you exactley the story. I wouldnt expect much off Halfords. Sometimes you can fix them up if you know how to sort them out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Cables can and do break. If that's the cause, it's easy enough to fix.

I'd recommend replacing them once a year if you're doing decent mileage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

kona wrote: »
    Sram is ****ing ****, I wouldnt put it on any of my bikes, when you repair bikes over time you notice parts that constantly fail, and Sram is a disaster, their shifters and rear mechs, particularly their mid to low range is dire. Compare that to shimano, where you get bikes with 20 year old stx on it and its still working like a dream. Sram works grand, its the Durability thats abit of a joke.

Boardman bikes offer 1 year guarantee on labour and manufacturing defects(its in the manual) Bit of a crap guarantee for a bike you could have spent 2k on. OP bring it to a mechanic and hell tell you exactley the story. I wouldnt expect much off Halfords. Sometimes you can fix them up if you know how to sort them out.
    I really have to disagree,this country has some kind of aversion to SRAM and Campag' for some reason, Sram twist grip shifters are 10 times better than Shimano, much less complicated and very rarely break, their trigger shifters are great too and all parts are available if you need to rebuild them, unlike Shimano, before I lived in London I thought the same about SRAM and Campag' but I recon it's brain washing from Irish suppliers, Sram also make THE best chains in the world, no contest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Holyboy wrote: »
    I really have to disagree,this country has some kind of aversion to SRAM and Campag' for some reason, Sram twist grip shifters are 10 times better than Shimano, much less complicated and very rarely break, their trigger shifters are great too and all parts are available if you need to rebuild them, unlike Shimano, before I lived in London I thought the same about SRAM and Campag' but I recon it's brain washing from Irish suppliers, Sram also make THE best chains in the world, no contest!

Its nothing got to do with being brainwashed, from Sram X-4 to X-9 rear mechs, they have a plastic body, this has a Plastic stop to stop the metal cage hyper extending.....guess what happens?:rolleyes: 90% of the time this is what goes on their rear mechs.
    Sram X-4 Trigger shifters are very vague, if you open them up, the gears and rachets are plastic, again, very easy to break and leave you with a "floppy" lever.
    Sram MRX Gripshift is ****e, they work, just about, the ratchet goes quite quickley on them. They are easy to fix if you get the ratchet, as there are like 3 or 4 parts to them.

Havn't worked on enough campag to make a judgement. Shimano is far superior to Sram durability wise, as for function there isn't much in it, they both perform fine, I prefer the Double tap Sram on the Racers and the Dual pull on the Deore range. Plus teh shimano gear looks better :)

I did time in a bike shop in canada, same issues with Sram, same opinions, same problems, They are made of cheese.

I agree with the chains, wouldnt touch a shimano chain again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Holyboy wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm not allowed to advertise on here, but if you Google the address on my page my facebook page will come up, most shops won't re-build shifters these days but I will, if it's possible of course, SRAM shifters are great and very rarely break but Boardman have fitted a three speed indexed shifter to their flat bar double ringed road bikes which annoys me!!

pbyrneirl

you wont go wrong with holyboy!!!

he fixed a tricky front shifting issue on my rotor Q rings (oval shaped rings) without any fuss, when i had already them with 2 different mechanics.

he'll be your man for the job!

Advertisement