Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3D sculpture from image

Options
  • 24-04-2011 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place of the site, it just seemed to be the best place to ask for this. Mod's feel free to delete/move if it isn't.

Does anybody know if you can get a 3D sculpture made of an image, (i.e. my swimming club mascot - a devil)
    th_devil_logo_nuim_2007.jpg
    Would appreciate all/any help in this matter.

swimmer_hoop

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

Its very much possible to get it done by getting a 3d artist to model it for you. Alternatively you could try downloading a 30 day demo of something like 3ds Max or Maya from the Autodesk site and try to model it yourself. Be warned though, theres a reason people spend 3 - 4 years in college learning how to use these programs. They're extremely in depth and something as seemingly basic as the character in that logo would still a long long time to model accurately. Theres certainly no 1 click automatic program to do it for you anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Another option is to use blender (its free). But like the poster above said there is a lot of learning involved no matter which program you choose, I'm still trying to get to grips with it :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭swimmer_hoop

Cheers for that! I'm assuming then that it would be possible to get that made into a small statue for an award/presentation etc.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

I was under the impression you were game building or something :o as the forum is digital art and design. I think your after a trophy maker or someone who does castings.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

You're probably better off taking it to a real life sculptor or trophy maker first. That image isnt drawn with any sense of real world 3d depth ie things like, how far behind the character does the cloak actually flow? how long is his nose? If I was modelling it I could take a pretty reasonable estimate and Im sure I could get it quite accurate but you'd then be taking my interpretation to somebody else to model again. Ultimately you dont want to be playing chinese whispers with the character by adding in unecessary steps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭swimmer_hoop

To both of you thanks for the reply's/suggestions.

The reason I posted to this forum I suppose is that I wanted to see if it was possible to turn a 2D into a 3D before I brought the idea forward from here.

I will try some trophy makers and see what can be done.

Cheers again.

swimmer_hoop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

It's entirely possible and it's how most 3d images start off.

For the type of object you are creating I think most 3D artists would start with zBrush and then import to their main prog.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Scotty # wrote: »
    It's entirely possible and it's how most 3d images start off.

For the type of object you are creating I think most 3D artists would start with zBrush and then import to their main prog.

Not at all. If you start a model like that with zSpheres you end it in zBrush. To get a good result you're talking millions of polygons, which only really zBrush/mudbox can handle!

Imo model it in max from start to finish, then import it into zBrush for a polypaint.

Advertisement