Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog in heat - breeding her

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭transit260

No need for that--did you even read my comment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

I don't see how you can construe it that way. I was simply saying that the OP should only breed if her dog is a healthy, sound example of the breed.
    The Irish Red and White Setter is classified as a vulnerable breed so it is imperative that the OP takes every precaution in order to determine if breeding is the appropriate thing to do

As for the hunting comment, that was not directed at the OP, but at someone who engages in certain pursuits who came onto API advocating irresponsible breeding practices, and who continued to be very rude to everybody here. I know I shouldn't feed trolls but sometimes one can hope that they will choke.

Edited in error--feel free to repost.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Mosi--seems to me like you were anti breeding in this case.Maybe Im wrong and if so I can only apologise.

Also as for the attitude to hunters and them choking-Id appreciate it if you could please leave that attitude outside the forum.We have banned users for comments like that in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Reading all the additional comments put on this trheat since last night and I'm wondering to myself are you all adults commenting here... seriously??:rolleyes:

Its gone so tit for tat and as you all seem to keep saying it has gone off the original post/question!

Comments like that last one about hoping someone will choke... seriously??? Both of you should leave your arguements outside other peoples threads.

After this comment, I think that this thread should be locked or let the OP start a new thread with the same question asked again considering this one has now a few pages with no help or advice which lets not forget is all she wanted!!! :D

Thats my thoughts on it anyway and now I'm off to work for the night :(

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Mosi--seems to me like you were anti breeding in this case.Maybe Im wrong and if so I can only apologise.

Apology accepted
    Also as for the attitude to hunters and them choking-Id appreciate it if you could please leave that attitude outside the forum.We have banned users for comments like that in the past.

Comments like that last one about hoping someone will choke... seriously??? Both of you should leave your arguements outside other peoples threads.

A play on words, about trolls choking after they've been fed :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

I followed this thread from the beginning as I too have a Bitch i will breed from a couple of times,unfortunatley ive learned **** all from it as it was derailed with the very first post.:(

Best of luck to you caroline whatever you choose to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I followed this thread from the beginning as I too have a Bitch i will breed from a couple of times,unfortunatley ive learned **** all from it as it was derailed with the very first post.:(

Best of luck to you caroline whatever you choose to do

Em, no it wasnt. Seriously, im beginning to think my posts are invisible to certain posters or something??

Please read my posts on the first page, you will find all the info you need. I outlined exactly what needs to be done if you are considering breeding your bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I followed this thread from the beginning as I too have a Bitch i will breed from a couple of times,unfortunatley ive learned **** all
    1. Buy your dog from a reputable breeder.
    2. Bring your dog to ring craft classes.
    3. Show and/or work your dog to see if your dog will add anything benefical to the breed as a whole and to also uncover your dogs flaws and strengths.
    4. After the age of 2 have the relevent health checks done on your dog to make sure there is little chance of them passing on genetic faults.
    5. Find a mate for your dog that will compliament it's flaws and enhances it's strength. So just because a dog might be a top stud doesn't automatically mean he is right for your bitch. Research bloodlines, know what your dog is likely to throw and what the mate you find for your dog is likely to throw to give you an idea of how the pups will turn out.
    6. Be prepared to take some time off work around the whelping time and the weeks that follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

andreac wrote: »
    Seriously, im beginning to think my posts are invisible to certain posters or something??
    They're not andrea, but there's something you need to be aware of in your posting style. Your first post was very informative as are most of your posts, but your second one wasnt. You have a tendency to start off really well but descend into a type of condescending and presumptive manner that puts people off. Eg.
    Sorry to be blunt, but if you arent prepared to do what i have mentioned then you shouldnt even consider breeding.

Its the bluntness of your response that riles i think. You generally post fantastic information but you can be very black and white on a lot of issues (such as this). The OP never said that she wasnt prepared to take on board what you'd mentioned and it set a tone for a defensive attitude from then on.

The OP asked a valid question and should be commended at least for being responsible enough to ask those questions, without the thread descending into a "back yard breeder" or "puppy farmer" antagonostic response.The facts alone if presented in an unbiased manner should be enough to help people make up their minds, because if they're decent enough to come looking for answers they should be given them in a fair and objective manner if possible. Yes, some of us are aware of the unreal amount of unwanted puppies/dogs in this country but not all are. Its always my opinion that "its not a stupid question, if you dont know the answer!"

Its constructive criticism on my behalf thats all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭pitbull_fanatic

ISDW wrote: »
    But again, exactly what advice have you given the OP to answer her questions? Absolutely none, all you have done is come on and attack other posters, and 'gang up' on certain people. You've thanked people on this thread that you agree with, so are you honestly saying that only you and your friends are allowed to do that?:confused: Clannish? well if so, you're part of one clan with your mates.

You really need to reread the thread, advice was given, the thread only went off at a tangent when someone started attacking other posters.

i dont have any "mates" on here. as i said in a previous post i know nothing about breeding. if i did i'd tell her. if you want i'll go back a few pages and quote it for you if you're too lazy too read full threads. i'd like to know myself but as i say it looks like i wont be finding out so better find out the hard way...
    Em, no it wasnt. Seriously, im beginning to think my posts are invisible to certain posters or something??

Please read my posts on the first page, you will find all the info you need. I outlined exactly what needs to be done if you are considering breeding your bitch.

your posts are not invisible. nobody pays attention to them because as i said...again....good cop bad cop. you say one thing which is helpfull but then in the next line you say something else to throw them off. make up your mind. help of not. help if you can/will. if you dont want to/dont agree then dont post.

i havent seen the OP here in a while and who can blame her. she's either going to do her own thing with no proper info or get info somewhere else and might be bad info. and who can blame her. she tried to get advice and she got nothing. her pups myt end up in the same rescue now as the setter with inverted eyelids or watever he had.

ISDW...you think i come on here to attack other users??!! are you serious?? i came on here 2 years ago to make friends with people of a simular mind to myself. 2 years ago. and not one person here i can call my friend because its too hard too befriend any of ye because i dont have a shelter to my name. you dont have a clue what i have done for animals in my lifetime and ye dont care. yer too busy well done-ing each other for the work ye do. and trust me i have read this thread over and over.. and no proper advice was givin. practice what you preach and reread it yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

i dont have any "mates" on here. as i said in a previous post i know nothing about breeding. if i did i'd tell her. if you want i'll go back a few pages and quote it for you if you're too lazy too read full threads. i'd like to know myself but as i say it looks like i wont be finding out so better find out the hard way...

your posts are not invisible. nobody pays attention to them because as i said...again....good cop bad cop. you say one thing which is helpfull but then in the next line you say something else to throw them off. make up your mind. help of not. help if you can/will. if you dont want to/dont agree then dont post.

i havent seen the OP here in a while and who can blame her. she's either going to do her own thing with no proper info or get info somewhere else and might be bad info. and who can blame her. she tried to get advice and she got nothing. her pups myt end up in the same rescue now as the setter with inverted eyelids or watever he had.

ISDW...you think i come on here to attack other users??!! are you serious?? i came on here 2 years ago to make friends with people of a simular mind to myself. 2 years ago. and not one person here i can call my friend because its too hard too befriend any of ye because i dont have a shelter to my name. you dont have a clue what i have done for animals in my lifetime and ye dont care. yer too busy well done-ing each other for the work ye do. and trust me i have read this thread over and over.. and no proper advice was givin. practice what you preach and reread it yourself.

When and where was it said that the setter with entropic eyelids was in a rescue? He was bought from a breeder, which was the whole point - if health testing is done, these problems don't arise. But hey, you're obviously reading this thread properly.:rolleyes:

Funnily enough, I didn't join this forum to make friends, but to have discussions - I have enough friends thanks:D

ya very good comeback. jut because i didnt rememeber exactly where or what happened the setter...i didnt go back to look and i'm not going to remember because it was irreleveant to the topic. ya thats fair enough if you joined for "discussions". why didnt you join under a different name and not tell anyone who you were?? because you wouldnt have any praise coming your way and that would be terrible. i didnt come on for "discussions", and i'll proudly say i came on to make friends with people who have the same interests as myself. and trust me i have enough friends too. i just dont come online to boost my self esteem or morale. if i cant make friends with you lot i dont care. i'd rather i didnt with the attidude ye got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

From what i have seen in my very limited time looking in rescues,I beg you OP please really think before letting your lady have puppies.

Think of the wider picture, what if the bitch rejects the pups(which can happen a lot) are you prepared to hand raise half a dozen or so puppies?

Please think of the welfare of the animals involved.

If you do decide to breed,for gods sake do some serious research on ethical breeding.

I suggest you take a trip to some local pounds/rescues because it's heartbreaking with the litters of unwanted unloved puppies.

Lots of good advice was given. I'm not going to go through every post with advice but I thought this one summed up what a lot of people were saying
    Buy your dog from a reputable breeder.
    Bring your dog to ring craft classes.
    Show and/or work your dog to see if your dog will add anything benefical to the breed as a whole and to also uncover your dogs flaws and strengths.
    After the age of 2 have the relevent health checks done on your dog to make sure there is little chance of them passing on genetic faults.
    Find a mate for your dog that will compliament it's flaws and enhances it's strength. So just because a dog might be a top stud doesn't automatically mean he is right for your bitch. Research bloodlines, know what your dog is likely to throw and what the mate you find for your dog is likely to throw to give you an idea of how the pups will turn out.
    Be prepared to take some time off work around the whelping time and the weeks that follow.

You say that you have learned nothing on this thread, despite quite a lot of advice being shared. What specifically do you want to know that wasn't covered here?

mosi stop being an idiot now. that was posted up about. 6 posts ago. nearly 4 r 5 pages later. dont be silly please.

mosi stop being an idiot now. that was posted up about. 6 posts ago. nearly 4 r 5 pages later. dont be silly please.

Advice from page one. The other post I just quoted summed up what many others said throughout the thread.

Firstly, what breed is she?
    Have you had her health tested for the relevent health problems for the breed? This should be done before even contemplating breeding.

Vaccinated and registered is far from enough to be done if you are considering breeding.

Have you shown her, or has a breed expert seen her to see if shes suitable for breeding? Only excellent quality and examples of the breed should be bred from.

Have you considered how and where you will get homes for the potential pups?

I wouldnt even consider breeding until you have done a lot more research on your breed and breeding.

You need to get in touch with your breed club and get advice from them first and look up stud dogs or reputable kennels.

Most responsible breeders with stud dogs will not allow you to use their stud dog unless your bitch has been health tested first so you need to look up what tests are required for your breed and get this carried out first.

Anyway, calling me an idiot is not exactly helpful. You say that you have a problem with the information here, so I am just trying to work out what is it that you specifically want to know about breeding that was not addressed in this thread?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Thats enough.Thread locked.

Pitbull and mosi-Ive carded both of you.

Pitbull for calling someone an idiot and mosi for responding.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement