Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exercising with a Hernia??

Options
  • 24-04-2011 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Im doing the leaving Cert at the mo and i play a lot of GAA as a release from studying aswell as everything else. but recently iv developed a femoral hernia (underneath my groin rather than sticking out). i cant run due to a strained groin but i want to keep in shape. Any ideas of some sort of gym work, exercises or weights i Could possibly try?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Im doing the leaving Cert at the mo and i play a lot of GAA as a release from studying aswell as everything else. but recently iv developed a femoral hernia (underneath my groin rather than sticking out). i cant run due to a strained groin but i want to keep in shape. Any ideas of some sort of gym work, exercises or weights i Could possibly try?

go to a physio and see how serious the groin strain is i.e is it a grade 1, 2 or 3, i badly strained my groin in October a grade 2 where i tore something like 50 per cent of the muscle fibers and im only back running this month so it ruined my season because i was out 7 months with it, i started back lifting weights on the groin machine gradually going up in weight to strenghtin the muscle and im back running this month its coming along good but i still cant open up 100 per cent and sprint to my max.

in all bud get a professional opinion otherwise you will regret it i turned a minor strain into a serious strain because i taught i could handle it myself, learn from my mistake:D

if your looking for other exercises to do just focus on your upper body till you get rid of your groin strain, dont go and try strength-ting the groin up until you get medical advice because it might need rest first before you build it up again, avoid all leg work until it passes and until you see a physio.

there's loads of upper body stuff you could do just ask your gym instructor to help you out on that, if you want to maintain your cardio fitness just use the bikes or a normal push bike as the movement involved in that doesn't effect the groin.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

+1 to the above post: get a professional opinion OP. There is nothing we can advise you on here, as that is technically a medical matter and not allowed on Boards. A physio or sports therapist would be the qualified professionals you should be seeking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

you need to get professional advice

thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement