Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going solo to Austrailia?!?!

Options
  • 24-04-2011 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

I booked my flights to Austrailia around two months ago and was due to go with my best friend. I was originally only going for 3months but as my employer wouldnt give me time off, I made the decision to resign and go for a year to travel / work. My "best friend" has now changed her mind and has decided to go at the end of the year instead.

Im quite annoyed as it means if I go in July, i'll be going solo. Im a quiet person when around people I don't know so worry about making friends. Everyone is telling me to go for it and go in July but should I wait for my friend and go at the end of the year? I may not have a job after June so I might have to go away in July but I find the thoughts of it scary :eek:

Is there any backpacker societies I can join before I go??
    Thank you :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I booked my flights to Austrailia around two months ago and was due to go with my best friend. I was originally only going for 3months but as my employer wouldnt give me time off, I made the decision to resign and go for a year to travel / work. My "best friend" has now changed her mind and has decided to go at the end of the year instead.

Im quite annoyed as it means if I go in July, i'll be going solo. Im a quiet person when around people I don't know so worry about making friends. Everyone is telling me to go for it and go in July but should I wait for my friend and go at the end of the year? I may not have a job after June so I might have to go away in July but I find the thoughts of it scary :eek:

Is there any backpacker societies I can join before I go??
    Thank you :confused:

I don't know of any sites but maybe give google a try?

Do you know anyone out there already or anyone who has spent time out there? Maybe they will have some contacts or advice as to what is the best way of meeting people.

Chin up! :)

Edit - Google has produced these:
    http://www.backpacker-forum.com.au/
    http://www.australianbackpackers.net/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭whatsyourquota

You will find loads of people heading to Australia on
    http://www.gapyear.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

Hey,

I'm going solo in July, done it before too, it's grand! you meet people all over the place, the problem is trying to get away from people if you don't feel like seeing anyone, e.g if you are tired etc.

I joined Travbuddy, it's like fb but for travelers, it has great reviews of places too

(If you join, pm me and I'll send you my profile link)

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Do some tours stay in hostels and just say hi to people and you will be fine. Actually a lot more then fine you will have a better time then you would going with someone else and feel like you have accomplished something by doing it yourself. Trust me I did it and am so glad that I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 kevrr

Yeah go for it! It may certainly be a little bit more difficult, initially coming over on your own and all that, but you'll ultimately have a much better time.

Traveling somewhere on your own compared to going somewhere with a friend or in a group, the bad times are a bit worse but the good times are so much better, and you get that sense of achivement plus a hell of a lot more life experience.

Ah and you'll meet lots of people, there's tonnes of travelers just like yourself in Oz.

Also check out www.couchsurfing.org
    .....a great website

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 hollyday

Hey Starburst

That sucks about your friend letting you down. I'm heading to Aus in August alone for a year too, and like Lima I joined Travbuddy and met a girl who arrives to the same city, same day as me :)
    If you join pm me too if you like! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭blondie82

Have nothing to add except I agree with all the advice everyone gave you above & just wanted to wish you the best of luck, I bet if you go you won't regret it. Am heading over there on my own in August & it's nerve wracking, scariest thing I've ever done, so i understand how you feel. But like others said above it will be so satisfying to have done that all on your own and can only be great for you in the long term. I think the best part is being totally in charge of your own time & not having to spend a single cent or minute on anything you don't really want to do.

Best of luck & let us know how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

All I say is go for it. I came over on my own 5 months ago heading into my 6th month now. Loving it. Its very easy to meet people there will be other people in the same situation as you when u 1st arrive. Just , hi to people as if u know them and start a converstaion. If you land in a hostel full of Irish the Irish will always look out for each other. Thats what Ive discovered anyways. Go for it you'll regreat it if u don't

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Do it you will have no regrets.
    As always (even when traveling with others) look after yourself and be careful but also go with the flow and enjoy!
    If you search this forum you will find many other solo travellers asking the same questions as yourself and getting loads of advise and support!
    I know I mentioned it before that I left a small town in NZ imigrated to Oz for two years then onto Ireland all on my own. Been here 9 years now! Have made some one in a life time friends! Some I actually count as family now! (I would trust my Irish Bro futher than I would trust my full blooded NZ Bro!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Laurz858

Starburst.... me thinks ur gonna have an amazin time!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭LittleT

In terms of meeting Irish and other solo travellers in general, which city centre hostels would people recommend? I see Wake Up seems to be pretty popular...I'm looking for somewhere to stay for about a week initially

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Im going on my own to Perth in September, wasnt gonna let going solo put me off!!
    Go for it OP!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Im heading over to birsbane in july on my own :) but meetin 3 people over their. The flights going to be a killer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

ASOT wrote: »
    Im heading over to birsbane in july on my own :) but meetin 3 people over their. The flights going to be a killer

Dont like long flights?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

STIG83 wrote: »
    Dont like long flights?

Nah not atal but itl be worth it in the end i supose.

Doing my RSA atm online. Pretty interesting course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mollydee

OP You could check out this site.They have meet ups for loads of different interests and hobbies, meeting new people etc

http://www.meetup.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Starburst85

Hey all,

Thanks a mill for all your replies and advice, really do appreciate it. After much consideration, I have decided to wait until October to go when I have another friend to go with me, hopefully things will work out this time plus I'll have more money saved and am hoping to travel to Thailand first for a month in October.

If there is anyone heading out alone to Thailand in October or Oz in November, pm me as you are more than welcome to meet up with me and my friend over there, the more the merrier :)

Thanks again, Starburst *** :)

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

I'm heading to Melbourne on my tobler in september, it does seem fairly daunting i have to admit, my mate is following me over 3 months later(once everything is nice and set-up:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I'm heading over in a fortnight to Melbourne, not sure if there's space in the house of a few of my friends so may have to branch out on my own. Bit apprehensive over this myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭niva*sis

Im going on my own in October, cant wait :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

niva*sis wrote: »
    Im going on my own in October, cant wait :D

Ms too, yay. Counting down the days especially in work.

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Ms too, yay. Counting down the days especially in work.

what part u going to??
    i must finish enjoying canada first :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

niva*sis wrote: »
    what part u going to??
    i must finish enjoying canada first :)

Flying into cairns then making my way down the east coast to Melbourne. I'll be travelling for 8 weeks.

How about you? Where are you flying into?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Ian Mac

Leaving myself on the 19th August , flying into Melbourne then onto Brisbane.... safe to say I'm very nervous about the whole ordeal!!

Thankfully interviews lined up , apartment sorted so that's some bit of a relief!

Money is a bit of an issue but sure we make do with what we can.

All the best to others travelling alone , will update on arrival as to how it all went!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭blondie82

Heading myself on Aug 15th :)
    Hong Kong 2 nights, Adelaide, then Great Ocean Rd & hopefully working in Melbourne from Sept-end Nov.

Ian Mac, how did you go about setting up ur apt? I've been looking at gumtree & plenty available but am not sure if I should contact well in advance or wait till I get there

Best of luck to all, enjoy!

blondie82 wrote: »
    Heading myself on Aug 15th :)
    Hong Kong 2 nights, Adelaide, then Great Ocean Rd & hopefully working in Melbourne from Sept-end Nov.

Ian Mac, how did you go about setting up ur apt? I've been looking at gumtree & plenty available but am not sure if I should contact well in advance or wait till I get there

Best of luck to all, enjoy!

I went through realestate.com.au.... I found alot of people weren't too keen on giving an apartment to a single Irish male but thankfully I sorted one out.

I paid $1000 for him to hold it for me , and must pay $1000 deposit when I get over there ( get that back of course once the lease is up and the place is in good shape). All sounds a bit mad but that would be the expected price to pay bang in the middle of Brisbane. I would prefer to secure a place and have peace of mind but that's just me.

Best of luck with your travels :D

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Flying into cairns then making my way down the east coast to Melbourne. I'll be travelling for 8 weeks.

How about you? Where are you flying into?

im gonna head straight or perth and leave my travelling until the end as i wanna earn a few bucks first. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Ian Mac wrote: »
    Leaving myself on the 19th August , flying into Melbourne then onto Brisbane.... safe to say I'm very nervous about the whole ordeal!!

Thankfully interviews lined up , apartment sorted so that's some bit of a relief!

Money is a bit of an issue but sure we make do with what we can.

All the best to others travelling alone , will update on arrival as to how it all went!

Mind me asking what sites you used to sort interviews? I assume it's the mines since it's Brisbane.

Mind me asking what sites you used to sort interviews? I assume it's the mines since it's Brisbane.

Variety Of Jobs
    http://mycareer.com.au/
    http://www.seek.com.au/
    http://employment.byron.com.au/

Mine Jobs

http://www.sandvik.com/
    http://www.riotinto.com/

I applied for 2 jobs with Rio Tinto as a computer analyst and another working in the office (completely bluffed it)

Sandvik I hear are a good company for employment

I was told to search for Entry Level jobs also (they train you basically)

The sites for the variety of jobs are good aswell.

If I can help anymore let me know :D

• Advertisement

so would ye recommend going into a hostel for a few nites first or trying to get a house straight away?? basically i wana start working asap!!

Advertisement