Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy spot to catch Mackerel

Options
  • 24-04-2011 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I rarely go fishing at all but seemingly all the signs are good for plenty of mackerel this summer. I'd love to catch a few and learn ways to cook them myself.

Where's a good spot to have a good chance of catching one or two without having to spend hours and hours waiting?

I know theres the usual spots like the rocks in Dunmore but they're always packed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

In Boatstrand would be good too, i remember been down there before with the old man and we got heaps of mackerel. had buckets of them coming home.
    Wouldnt mind a fried one now!! nom nom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Lil bit of salt n pepper....

Just off the slip there at Boatstrand at high tide?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Yeah that right IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

Yeh there's rocks beyond boatstrand as well just before Bunmahon there's a headland there. Very good for em. The further out the headland the deeper the water off it. Can be more lightly to catch em there. Failin that, A good pair of arms off any of the beaches, West of garrus (including Garrus).

Failing that, your lightly to catch a few in Hartleys in tramore while using a fiver as bait.

Yeh there's rocks beyond boatstrand as well just before Bunmahon there's a headland there. Very good for em. The further out the headland the deeper the water off it. Can be more lightly to catch em there. Failin that, A good pair of arms off any of the beaches, West of garrus (including Garrus).

Failing that, your lightly to catch a few in Hartleys in tramore while using a fiver as bait.

A couple of years ago, I caught a load of them on Woodstown Beach without casting the bait out. I had mirrored lures on the hooks and just reached out and dipped them into the water with the rod at arms length where the tiny bait fish were bubbling around the surface. The mackerel followed them in and I have to say it was the weirdest fishing experience ever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

is it browns town head out past the saleens,,found that a great spot to catch them,,,5 on the rod every cast when its a good day,,its fair dodgy getting up and down from there tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

+1 For browns town head far as i know August if the best time to fish them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

There is a great spot near Bonmahon Trotter but it's a little dangerous to get to as you have to navigate yourself down the rocks of a cliff but back when I used to fish like honeybadger said you can catch a few every cast if you catch it on a good day.

ziedth wrote: »
    There is a great spot near Bonmahon Trotter but it's a little dangerous to get to as you have to navigate yourself down the rocks of a cliff but back when I used to fish like honeybadger said you can catch a few every cast if you catch it on a good day.

Cheers! Any relatively easy places to have a go?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DaleB91

Coming from someone who fishes all year round, i hate when i hear people asking wheres the easiest place to catch a few mackeral, you can catch em off nearly beach, rock, pier. Dunmore flat rocks, gillameens in tramore, woodstown beach, tramore beach, boatstrand, bunmahon, annestown. Anywhere really

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭rugerman

when i cry when will they be in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭tiny-nioclas

Catching a few Makeral and Pollock off the pier in An Rinn the last few nights, the mackeral arent fit for eating yet though, their still very soft and lave from the winter!

Advertisement