Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short term credit card.

Options
  • 24-04-2011 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭

Basically i need a credit card for holidays will be visiting a few cities etc so seems safest way at the moment.

Can i get a credit card use it for a month or whatever and then cancel it as long as there is no balance outstanding ?
    Is there any other options for bringing money aborad besides a wad of cash?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Theres no problem getting a credit card and then cancel it after one month. Although you would be liable for the goverment duty on the card which the bank will request you pay when closing the account. This is €30.

If you are woried that you will go mad on the card why not get one and get the limit reduced to something small like €500 and have the credit card there for future holidays and stuff when you need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

you could also get a debit card such as the one neteller offer that works just like a credit card abroad except you can only spend whats on the card.

or you could open a current account with permanent tsb or ulster bank as they both offer visa debit cards which are accepted worldwide

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I have started to open a account with Ulster bank i sent all the details and proof of address back to them almost 2 weeks ago at this stage, so a credit card is my back up plan if the card doesnt come through before start of june.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

I had my visa debit card from ulster bank in 7 days. you should definately have it by june

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I had my visa debit card from ulster bank in 7 days. you should definately have it by june
    did you join in branch or online/post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I have started to open a account with Ulster bank i sent all the details and proof of address back to them almost 2 weeks ago at this stage, so a credit card is my back up plan if the card doesnt come through before start of june.

If you've not applied for a credit card already then the chances are UB will send the visa debit long before you get approved and issued a credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

Have you seen the O2 Money Card? That's a prepaid Visa and you can pick one up in any O2 Store.

Advertisement