Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning the fiddle : biting off more than I can chew?

Options
  • 24-04-2011 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just thinking about possibly taking up the fiddle. Here's my musical background,
    been playing the guitar for over 20 years, been playing the mandolin for about 6 years now, and can play the piano and banjo too.
    I found the learning curve on the mandolin quite easy when it came to chords, basic melodies, and accompanying people, and I was surprised as to how quickly I picked it up. But I suppose playing the guitar, it wasn't going to be much of a jump.
    I taught myself the guitar and the mandolin.
    I have been messing around on a cello, just for the craic, as of late, but find it very difficult to knock anything basic out of it that sounds ok.
    However, I have always been a fan of the fiddle, not classical fiddle, but every other type, from trad, to warren ellis in the bad seeds, to the frames and so on.

What's the learning curve like for learning basic fiddle where it doesn't sound like a mangled cat? I know you only get out what you put in.

Would the fact that I play the mandolin stand to me, or is it all about the feel in the bowing hand, is that were the key to making it sound good will lie?

I would take lessons, as it's something i think would be too much for me to try and teach myself, but I am very much "by the ear" when it comes to learning an instrument. I would pick everything up by ear, from guitar, to mandolin, to piano....

Any tips or advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭tarbolton

The fiddle is a technically challenging instrument. Your mandolin experience will certainly be of some assistance as it will give you an idea of where the notes are. But its a lot more to it than that. There are technical considerations about even the most basic aspects - how to hold the instrument, how to hold the bow, proper intonation, etc. Then when you get going there are bowing styles, ornamentation, etc. to consider.

It's a great instrument! Go for it! But I think it would be too much to do it by yourself. My advice is to find a good teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

oh yeah, Id get lessons for sure to help me with the bowing, intonation etc, but I wonder usually, even when people get lessons, is the learning curve steep.........

It all depends on yourself - on your own aptitude I suppose. And where you want to go with it. But in general terms I would say yes. It is one of the most challenging instruments with a steeper learning curve than most others.

So I had a go of a fiddle yesterday. Spent an hour messing around on it.
    I would agree, the bowing and intonation is the hardest bit. Thing is, I know where my fingers should be going from what I know on the mandolin, so I think it's going to be practice practice practice in a quiet room away from the public so they can't hear the mangled cat sounds...
    It's just a case of tracking down a beginners fiddle now.

I'll tip away at it myself, then line up some lessons, though my sister said she would show me the basics....

Once you have the basics under your belt (holding the bow etc), is it just a case of practice practice practice?

I could easily sit down and repeat scales now until I could play them fluidly and cleanly. Repetition repetition !

ordered the starter fiddle, so should have it later today..... yikes.......:eek:

• Advertisement

Find yourself a good teacher and you'll be grand! Good luck!

Advertisement