Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun disposal

Options
  • 24-04-2011 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

Im hoping to be applying for a new rifle now shortly.. but I just realised that Im at my limit before going up a notch in security.

I have an old single barrel lying in the safe that hasnt being shot in god knows how many years. So time for it to go.

Whats the fastest way to get rid off it, I need it gone by this coming wednesday if at all possible- and the bloody weekend thats in it and all :eek: :rolleyes:

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Two options for immediate disposal:
    1. Go to your local RFD and ask him to either store or destroy the gun, and provide you with a letter stating the gun has been surrended for destruction due to non-use/poor condition, etc. Or if he will he can list the gun as part of his "stock" and sell it for you, but as its stored in his shop it will not affect your security level.
    2. Go to local Garda station and surrender the firearm directly to them for the same reasons as listed above. They may request you give it to a dealer as they are more equiped for taking in firearms.
    Either way get an FCA2 from your local station and fill in the details and have the license cancelled. Thats about the only two "quick" ways i can think off.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Gerry.L

Thats great Ezridax, thanks for the advice :)

I'll be on the phone at 9:00am exactly on tuesday morning :D

BTW: You wouldnt know just off the top of your head (roughly) how much a dealer would/should charge for a decommissiing/disposal..?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Get a grinder or hack saw and cut it up into pieces, make sure to cut through the action but don't cut through the serial number, then hand it into the Garda station in a plastic bag.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

How would an RFD dispose if a firearm? Would he have to show it to the Guards in pieces aswell?

Get a grinder or hack saw and cut it up into pieces, make sure to cut through the action but don't cut through the serial number, then hand it into the Garda station in a plastic bag.

Im sure the super would love that... hed probably try and arrest me for modifying the gun (we dont get on so well) :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Gerry.L wrote: »
    Im sure the super would love that... hed probably try and arrest me for modifying the gun (we dont get on so well) :L

You'ld give him a headache and probably break pulse too!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 shane32819

bring it into your local station and bring your licence. tell them you want to hand it in for destruction and cancel your licence on fca2. wont cost a penny!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Im hoping to be applying for a new rifle now shortly.. but I just realised that Im at my limit before going up a notch in security.

I have an old single barrel lying in the safe that hasnt being shot in god knows how many years. So time for it to go.

Whats the fastest way to get rid off it, I need it gone by this coming wednesday if at all possible- and the bloody weekend thats in it and all :eek: :rolleyes:

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Why not "trade" it in against your new rifle, the rfd then can dispose of it without any fuss or bother or delay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

BTW: You wouldnt know just off the top of your head (roughly) how much a dealer would/should charge for a decommissiing/disposal..?

Think it was €50 for Dad's .22lr. Can't be 100% sure on that.

bring it into your local station and bring your licence. tell them you want to hand it in for destruction and cancel your licence on fca2. wont cost a penny!

Are you sure about that? I thought I heard one time that the guards cant take guns, and any they seize go straight to an RFD for storage or sale (or destruction at the states expense) Must give them a call on Tueday before I call the RFD. It would be handy if they did.

Why not "trade" it in against your new rifle, the rfd then can dispose of it without any fuss or bother or delay

Its actually a chap on boards Im hoping to buy from.. not an rfd..... so i cant see him wanting to take it as a trade in.

Think it was €50 for Dad's .22lr. Can't be 100% sure on that.

Thanks for that John. Its not badly priced either. I was half expecting to hear something in the region of 150-200 euros.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, appreciate it.

• Advertisement

Do not try and destroy the gun yourself. You bring a bag of pieces into a Garda station and he will ask what it is. When you tell him the first comment will be, "How do i know thats the gun in question or all of it?". There is a reason the Gardai are getting RFDs to destroy any surrended guns.

Not sure on the price, but as johngalway said it will not be huge money and if an RFD tries to pull a fast one, simply walk out, go to the Garda station and give it in there. No charge at all. Let them bring it to an RFd to have it cut up.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Don't. It has to be witnessed by a Garda during destruction...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

cost me 50 euros couple of yrs ago...I had to notify garda after that..dealer disposed of gun

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Sparks wrote: »
    Don't. It has to be witnessed by a Garda during destruction...

You sure? So a Guard has to witness the destruction of every firearm an RFD cuts up? Seems like an awful waste of Guarda resources.

What about the chopped up metal, does he have to see that being delivered to the scrapyard or anything? How far does the Guards involvement go?

Yes the Garda has to witness the destruction of every firearm.

He does not do it on a one by one basis. Generally the RFD will contact the station and inform them he has X amount of firearms in for disposal. The Garda makes an appointment to meet up with the RFD and witness the destruction or inspect the firearms that have already been destroyed, by verifying serial number, license details, etc.

Then the bits are disposed off in an appropriate manner. If any firearm is licensed later that has matching part serial numbers etc, then the Garda can trace back where the gun was destroyed and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭ssl

I was in a similar situation last year. I rang my firearms officer who said bring in the gun and he'd do everything. He said bring it to him as the garda at the desk would not have access to the safe. I asked could I chop it up and bring it in a bag as at the time i would have to get a taxi. He said a few were being handed in because of the change of licences and one was in a Dunnes bag! So I took off the stock, halved the barrel, filled out the FCA2 to make it more convenient on the Garda(as he was saving me paying a RFD), put it in a bag and dropped it into him. Done and dusted. Since heard that the local RFD distroyed a load of guns for the gardai. Guess mine was somewhere the pile. Moral of the story is, make contact with your firearms officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 shane32819

Are you sure about that? I thought I heard one time that the guards cant take guns, and any they seize go straight to an RFD for storage or sale (or destruction at the states expense) Must give them a call on Tueday before I call the RFD. It would be handy if they did.

100% sure. better to make contact with your local firearms officer rather that just arriving and meeting a garda that wont know what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Our fella wouldn't take Dads gun. Reckoned at that time they had guns coming out their ears and didn't want any more. So dealer it was. If the cops will take it off you, all the better :)

Advertisement