Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Let me know how it goes. For what it's worth, I don't hate Meltzer at all, I think he's the most reputable wrestling news source in the world and an incredible work ethic. He's got the personality of a plank though. His opinion seems to be derived by business. What's your favourite match Dave? The one that drew the most. Did you enjoy that storyline? It didn't draw, so no.

*awaits countering diatribes & shoes being thrown* :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Let me know how it goes. For what it's worth, I don't hate Meltzer at all, I think he's the most reputable wrestling news source in the world and an incredible work ethic. He's got the personality of a plank though. His opinion seems to be derived by business. What's your favourite match Dave? The one that drew the most. Did you enjoy that storyline? It didn't draw, so no.

Alot of what he focuses on is the business side alright and i am sure others like rovert who have been following the radio shows and newsletter longer then i have can provide more insight,but since i joined up in January i have found any really good wrestling or good storylines he will say are great regardless of business he gave Bryan vs Rollins ****1/4 in the latest observer and a match i really liked between Kushida/Omega the same mark so i don't think he is totally draw to the business side and can really enjoy a match regardless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

He shows plenty of personality on the Art of Wrestling podcast. I don't think I can remember someone calling a Dave a dickhead after meeting him. All the veterans who entered the business being told Dave was ruining the business with only rare exceptions get won over by how nice he is upon meeting him. He's a fecking charmer.

I don't think he rates matches based on business unless you are talking about when considers whether something is 5 stars. Even then he will wave that consideration if it was exceptional bell to bell or moved the artform forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Twas one of the better AoW's, he came across really well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

He's got the personality of a plank though. His opinion seems to be derived by business. What's your favourite match Dave? The one that drew the most. Did you enjoy that storyline? It didn't draw, so no.

I dunno would I call him a plank at all TBH. As a subscriber I only hear about the business aspect of wrestling but isn't that why we're all as into wrestling to the degree we are? We want to know the goings on but the goings on are affected by how well ratings are going/PPV buyrates etc. If I was talking to you about buyrates I'd come across as an absolute dullard (probably am in this post anyways).

To make my point clearer we don't get to hear a lot of his stories from his life like on this podcast. We just hear news. That's not really an avenue you that emits toxic amounts of personality.

And BTW my original post ins't a dig at you personally. Just kinda a Boards.ie trend from down the years where people dislike Meltzer's work despite him being the source that keeps the internet wrestling bubble going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Is a wierd expectation to put on a journalist, to expect him to have some kind of larger than life personality. To me he always has come across as a decent guy with a lot of integrity who is immersed in what he does.

I don't really know what he's like when he's more relaxed so hopefully the Colt Podcast allows that to shine through.

Is a wierd expectation to put on a journalist, to expect him to have some kind of larger than life personality.

I've no idea where you got that idea! If anything I'd expect the opposite. From hearing him on podcasts, he's got a personality that matches his reams of intricately written, formal newsletters. Besides stripping out his personal opinions (i.e. cutting out sounding like a fan of pro-wrestling instead of exclusively a journalist), I can't listen to his podcasts with Alvarez, because often I'd hear him automatically disagree/shoot down any thoughts/colour Bryan'd try inject into the show. It sounds like Meltzer's trying his damnedest to make sure he comes across as smarter than him, and I find that absolutely petty & grating. There's no denying he's got incredible knowledge though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

He's definitely the most reliable source in wrestling, but he is dull as dishwater in any interview I have ever heard with him. Will check it out and see what he's like.

I have stopped listening to to the AoW most weeks because of the terrible guests. Way too many nobodies (Indie wrestlers) with the personality of a plank of wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I kind of like the fact that Colt has a fair amount of people on that are involved in the business who I don't really have any clue about.

I'd never heard guys like Kevin Steen,PAC,Truth Martini,Tomasso Ciampa and Kyle O'Reilly etc interviewed before,but found them all really interesting to listen to.Would be fairly boring if he just interviewed WWE jobbers moaning about FCW and stuff every week.

Finished the Meltzer/Colt podcast - great to hear Meltzer more relaxed and not in 'work mode', just having a friendly chat. Nice to hear him talk about things like getting into wrestling after seeing other kids play wrestling. It'd be cool to hear more of a not-tightly-strung Meltzer. It struck me as odd how he's working much harder these days than in the Attitude Era. I guess it's difficult to make a good profit so he can't delineate work to other people. Like having 4 reporters giving him news as opposed to chasing down direct contacts himself.

• Advertisement

I've no idea where you got that idea! If anything I'd expect the opposite. From hearing him on podcasts, he's got a personality that matches his reams of intricately written, formal newsletters. Besides stripping out his personal opinions (i.e. cutting out sounding like a fan of pro-wrestling instead of exclusively a journalist), I can't listen to his podcasts with Alvarez, because often I'd hear him automatically disagree/shoot down any thoughts/colour Bryan'd try inject into the show. It sounds like Meltzer's trying his damnedest to make sure he comes
    across as smarter than him, and I find that absolutely petty & grating. There's no denying he's got incredible
    knowledge though.
    I think Id find it hard to not disagree or get or be argumentative with Bryan tbh. If anyone makes their audio hard to sit through its him. His voice grates on me and he comes across as Dave's thick little brother most of the time. Him regular DAVEing Bryan is a highlight of their shows for me.

Dave did a great podcast a while back where he chatted about being at the great All Japan shows of the early 90's. Was a real treat. When you get him relaxed and animated like that he's a great listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

B+V show, the LAW and MLW are all great.

Him regular DAVEing Bryan is a highlight of their shows for me.

I don't understand :confused:

I don't understand :confused:

When Dave intervenes and takes you to school on a point of pro wrestling/MMA knowledge you've been DAVE'd. Its both a crushing experience and quite the honour too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

Austin show is pretty awesome

When Dave intervenes and takes you to school on a point of pro wrestling/MMA knowledge you've been DAVE'd. Its both a crushing experience and quite the honour too.

Is that what the kids are calling it this days! This is probably what I mean as this need to prove how smart you are at every opportunity. Anyway his interview with Colt was great.

I'll have to try out Austin's next. I heard he tries to have the podcast a bit more formal but he's obviously an informal guy. Anyone?

Is that what the kids are calling it this days! This is probably what I mean as this need to prove how smart you are at every opportunity. Anyway his interview with Colt was great.

I'll have to try out Austin's next. I heard he tries to have the podcast a bit more formal but he's obviously an informal guy. Anyone?

Its not that he HAS to be right its just sometimes people are so wrong it can't not be corrected.

Austins is brilliant. I don't think he's capable of formality tbh. About 4/5 times per show Ill make a fool of myself by bursting out laughing in public at something he says.

The one where he wrestles a fly is genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

Its not that he HAS to be right its just sometimes people are so wrong it can't not be corrected.

Austins is brilliant. I don't think he's capable of formality tbh. About 4/5 times per show Ill make a fool of myself by bursting out laughing in public at something he says.

The one where he wrestles a fly is genius.
    Only bad bit about Austins is when he has fans call in - not his fault but the fans are just cringeworthy and quite a few are losers I just wanted to slap

Review a Wai review the documentary Gaea Girls:
    http://fightnetwork.com/news/39347:review-a-wai-gaea-girls-documentary/

Remember seeing it on BBC.

Meiko Satomura teaching her student a dropkick is one of the best vicious and cruel things I've seen:

Not work safe/I would advise against watching in mixed company due to the extent of the female on female violence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Wow that was tough to watch, you could see that last dropkick coming and that close up soon after.

• Advertisement

Only bad bit about Austins is when he has fans call in - not his fault but the fans are just cringeworthy and quite a few are losers I just wanted to slap

Very true. Same goes for most wrestling shows with call-ins. PWTorch probably has the worst of all - same guys every time. They make stereotypical wrestling fans look cool - absolute gimps.

Konnan had a call in show a while ago. It was pretty dire too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

I've only listened to the first 3 Austin show's,Nothing special for me so far tbh.His interview with HBK was a bit meh,But I imagine the like's of Nash and J.R shoot the **** a bit more than Michael's did.The 2nd show with the lad's in the studio annoyed me a bit,I presume they're with him for most show's?

Chael Sonnen next,That's surely decent.Hopefully he doesn't talk about how he's gonna beat up Jon Jone's too much on it.:pac:

bradlente wrote: »
    I've only listened to the first 3 Austin show's,Nothing special for me so far tbh.His interview with HBK was a bit meh,But I imagine the like's of Nash and J.R shoot the **** a bit more than Michael's did.The 2nd show with the lad's in the studio annoyed me a bit,I presume they're with him for most show's?

Chael Sonnen next,That's surely decent.Hopefully he doesn't talk about how he's gonna beat up Jon Jone's too much on it.:pac:

Those guys/producers etc. are only on occasionally. They add nothing.
    I think the Kurt Angle interview was my favourite. He tells a story about talking to Vince McMahon before signing which is hilarious.

Lance Storm was good too.

Maria Menounos was terrible. Not sure what that was about..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Terry Funk one was excellent too I thought.

Would love him to do one with his old pal William Regal or Scott Steiner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Eric Young is on with Austin tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Eric Young is on with Austin tomorrow!

Ah I was hoping for good ol Stone Cold Sharky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Listened to the Sonnen interview thought it was pretty good,Was expecting far more hype for his match which I didn't want to hear so that was good too.I think I'll probably just pick and choose a few instead of going through them all.Are any of the non-interview show's really worth a listen?

bradlente wrote: »
    Listened to the Sonnen interview thought it was pretty good,Was expecting far more hype for his match which I didn't want to hear so that was good too.I think I'll probably just pick and choose a few instead of going through them all.Are any of the non-interview show's really worth a listen?

If you are not enjoying Austins humor so far then probably not.

Learnt a pretty incredible thing this morning listening to the Interesting People Talk Wrestling podcast that part made me feel like a total dope and part made me drop my jaw. There's a really well respected indy Wrestling site called PWPonderings among the staff there is a podcaster/columnist by the name Des Delgadillo. He does a the week in Indy news type podcast. Always considered him very slick at radio and smart about Wrestling. We even follow each other on Twitter. Anyway just found out he is blind. :eek:

Hard to completely draw an equivalent but imagine if after all this time John Pollock revealed he was blind or something. Des doesn't advertise it at all really outside of his personal blog.

Link here
    http://martinhines.com/2013/06/21/interesting-people-talking-wrestling-10-des-delgadillo/

A special episode of Interesting People Talking Wrestling, as Des Delagdillo (@DesDelgadillo) , a professional wrestling enthusiast who has been blind since he was three years old joined the show to talk all about wrestling from his unique perspective.

Topics discussed included:

His memories of losing his vision
    How he first got into being a wrestling fan
    His perception of wrestling and its matches, and how he views matches in his dead
    The importance of good wrestling commentary
    How he goes to live wrestling events in person – and enjoys them
    His ambitions to work in wrestling in the future
    How he feels wrestling deals with minorities, both in story-line, and as fans
    His favourite matches of all time and appreciation of all wrestling from all over the world
    All that and so much more, in an incredibly informative and educational show, which also managed to contain a lot of intelligent and informed wrestling talk from a sensible and non cynical perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Yep. One of the best concepts for any podcast. Can't recommend them enough. Gab Marcotti is a great listen.

Advertisement