Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Decobuzz

jaykhunter wrote: »
    aha ok. I thought it was like before talking about this week's impact or something :p Sounds like a personal lives podcast.

Any other madness from MLW? I've decreasing time for Court on the LAW so I'd rather hear it from ye.

Let's just say he likes the sound of his own voice. Most of the podcast these days consists of him making "in jokes" to MSL that aren't in the slightest bit funny. You can tell even Jim Cornette sees him as a bit of a joke. Court will mention Google Chrome, his "uncle" Gary Hart and his "mentors" the Wild Samoans at least once on every podcast.

Jay.. You seem to have all your e-mails read out by Pollock and the lads! What do you think of them? Personally i could listen to them all day. They don't take themselves too seriously whereas Court sees himself as the main man in wrestling podcasts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

entertaining 50,000 people at Madison Square Garden.

Oh come on and I get stick for saying that there was 93,173 at Mania 3 :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Solid production I enjoyed that RTE documentary.

I know the piece needed an anchor or point of interest buthe endless Sheamus worship and documenting WWE's refusal to grant an interview for documentary with Sheamus could have been reduced significantly.

Bam Katrazz and Kazza G came across really well. Both are credits to the local scene.

Relatively well researched and cringe free overall for a mainstream outlet covering Pro Wrestling.
    Charisteas wrote: »
    Oh come on and I get stick for saying that there was 93,173 at Mania 3 :pac:

Reminds me the first minute or so of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chb8DjmjnCY

That one mistake isn't representative of the whole yoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Cornette is fine when he's talking about the past and stuff like that, especially if it's with some other old timer guy but the guy talks some amount of ****e and is a bit of an imbecile sometimes.

Bauer's really arrogant and self serving, he seems to have some good inside knowledge a lot of the time though so I put up with him sometimes.

MSL is irrelevant, unsure what his purpose is.

Konnan is amicable but can be tiresome.

John Pollock is pretty bloody great imo; the guy's very passionate, capable of being objective even when he's not in the mood at all, dedicated to a fault and very modest. Wai complements him brilliantly too, I think it helps that it seems like he was never crazily in love with wrestling to the level a lot of others once were, stops him from hitting a level of cynicism that seems rampant with most places.
    The other LAW guys are okay but not my cup of tea really.

Meltzer's Meltzer but he's jaded as hell and quite Rain Man-like on the air too.

Alvarez is pretty goofy, find it hard to get past that.

Keller's a good interviewer and seems pretty competent at the journalism side of things but he's a terrible producer. Powell always comes across well too but I don't really know him.

Wait, why am I listing all these out?

Meltzer's Meltzer but he's jaded as hell and quite Rain Man-like on the air too.

Ah here you can't call Melty jaded the eve of

Bcg48kpCIAA_X6y.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Decobuzz wrote: »
    Jay.. You seem to have all your e-mails read out by Pollock and the lads! What do you think of them? Personally i could listen to them all day. They don't take themselves too seriously whereas Court sees himself as the main man in wrestling podcasts

Aha, today I learnt MSL is a person and not a podcast! Is his name actually Mister? I'll pass on MLW so. I'm a big fan of John & Wai. They're the reason I started my own show! They've tremendous chemistry, they're friends, good guys and have such fantastic discussion & break down of the various feuds/news of the week. John's quite polished as a host as well, how he can off-the-cuff discuss things and naturally bring in information and tie it all together/give you a good grounding (especially on review-a-wai dealing with old PPVs) is really impressive. Lovely guys too. No idea how you can do that stuff in one take so easily. They even recorded a video liner for our show which was one of my goals :o

On a side note I quite like Mouth, and love his taste in music & frame of reference is usually 80s or earlier! I've stopped listening to the LAW because Jason Agnew's "I'm a heel character" to drive interest is just frustrating. I don't want to listen to someone playing an internet character has to say.

I have a lot of time for Bryan & Vinny. There's some really interesting points and fun recaps (although not the best information-wise, you'd need to watch the TV show to fully get what happened) but you can tell the two are longtime friends, and it really benefits the show. So many shows don't have that (it's more two people who separately wanted to start a podcast) so it's great when you have it.

Definitely regular podcasts, you've really got to like the person or value the show to keep listening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Agree with a lot of what has been said in the last few pages..

John Pollock and Wai Ting are the only two guys that have never become tiresome to me and I have been listening to them longer than anybody else.

Have also subscribed to MLW VIP.. Have never liked Mr Saint Laurent but he's become unbearable recently.

Court Bauer - not really sure about him, he seems to know a lot of people in the industry which I guess gives him a certain credibility. He also has as much backstage info as any of the journalists as far as I can see (Meltzer is probably the only exception). Comes across like a complete w*nker a lot of the time though, not funny and way too sure of himself, despite having done f*ck all as far as I can see. MLW? Wasn't it a handful of Ring of Honor level shows? You'd think he took on Vince McMahon the way he talks about it.

Konnan - Still a fan but he needs to shut the f*ck up about Juventud and handjobs.. In fairness I thought Dexter was a great name for Meltzer. I guess it's just inevitable that you run out of things to talk about when you're talking to the same people for hours on end every week.

Interviewing/Reviewing is a better format in that sense.

Cornette - Can also be a bit irritating, but found his show with Kenny Bolin hilarious so giving him a pass for the moment. It's putting him with MSL, Bauer and that incredibly annoying bird that drags him down mostly. If Cornette honestly thinks her voice is 'sexy' he needs to see an ENT!! So grating and false. Also her stories about the weirdo in Scotland and Atheism have pretty much guaranteed that I will never listen to anything she is on again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Man, everyone's making me super curious about this Scottish guy, what's the deal?

IIRC, MLW was always a loss making exercise bankrolled by his parents or some ****? Very few of the former writers come across that well in general though, do they?

A short as possible summation..

She has her own wrestling podcast.. Got hooked up with MLW some how.

Her ex-husband is a multi millionaire who has agreed to look after her for the rest of her life. Fair enough.

She met a Scottish fella on Facebook about a year ago and they cyber dated, talked on Skype etc. he's 10 years younger apparently.

She agreed to move to Glasgow to live with him without having met him in person. Arrived in Glasgow. He didn't have enough money for a taxi from the airport? They got back to his apartment, she realised he was a weirdo and left within a couple of hours and returned to LA.

She came across as bad if not worse..

Find it hard to believe Konnan/Cornette take her seriously behind it all..

jaykhunter wrote: »
    John's quite polished as a host as well, how he can off-the-cuff discuss things and naturally bring in information and tie it all together/give you a good grounding (especially on review-a-wai dealing with old PPVs) is really impressive.

+1

This is an under appreciated part of the shows. JP is a walking MMA/Wrestling Encyclopaedia. His MMA Report show is brilliant and as good as anything I've heard sports radio wise.

Given his work ethic it wouldn't surprise me if he records each show ten times over, but he does a great job either way. He's a natural talker.

• Advertisement

A short as possible summation..

She has her own wrestling podcast.. Got hooked up with MLW some how.

Her ex-husband is a multi millionaire who has agreed to look after her for the rest of her life. Fair enough.

She met a Scottish fella on Facebook about a year ago and they cyber dated, talked on Skype etc. he's 10 years younger apparently.

She agreed to move to Glasgow to live with him without having met him in person. Arrived in Glasgow. He didn't have enough money for a taxi from the airport? They got back to his apartment, she realised he was a weirdo and left within a couple of hours and returned to LA.

She came across as bad if not worse..

Find it hard to believe Konnan/Cornette take her seriously behind it all..

Yeah I find it hard to believe that Konnan in particular takes her seriously.
    Cornette keeps saying she has a "sexy voice" Personally I find her voice so false and put on. From reading the MLW forum and on Twitter a lot of people seem to dislike her yet MLW have increased the amount of podcasts she's on. They're driving away listeners.

Nothing of interest on Austin's newest show unless you like RV talk.

Working on the Undertaker as a guest - he doesn't have Taker's contact info!

"It is what it is" with the Rock and the Rock being busy.

He hopes to interview Triple H this week.

Austin says Bret and Flair are coming back. Bret wants to discuss Wrestlemania 13.

After my looonnnng exchange with Konnan and Court Baurer on Twitter on Thursday the MLW podcast released this statement:
    The feedback pertaining to Konnan's conversation about a past domestic issue from episode 109 is appreciated as are the concerns regarding homophobic comments.

No one at MLW condones violence towards women and homophobia or derogatory terms targeted the L/G/B/T community.

We strive for a comfortable, honest conversation on the podcasts but never at the cost of targeting one's sexual orientation or promoting violence towards women. Domestic abuse and homophobia are two very real issues that unfortunately too many are subjected to on a daily basis. We will not contribute to those efforts. We want MLW to be an enjoyable experience for everyone and not a place where hate or violence towards women is gratified.

We will internally discuss how to better demonstrate this in the shows we put out and apologize but also thank you the candid talk on the board about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Best thing about Cornette (who I really like) is that if yer one is annoying him (I imagine she is) or anyone else associated with the podcast he will eventually explode and give us an epic rant like he did about Greg the office boy on the breaking kayfabe interview recently

rovert wrote: »
    After my looonnnng exchange with Konnan and Court Baurer on Twitter on Thursday the MLW podcast released this statement:

What did they say to you?

Decobuzz wrote: »
    What did they say to you?

Essentially Konnan said he wasn't going to change how talks because he is street yo. Court acted a maggot via his various Twitter accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Links?

I wont listen to the pods with Konnan anymore. He is a very unpleasant individual.

gimmick wrote: »
    Links?

I wont listen to the pods with Konnan anymore. He is a very unpleasant individual.

Agreed. I used to be a big MLW fan but with Alice Radley there and Konnan becoming increasingly arrogant i'm switching off.

gimmick wrote: »
    Links?

Probably doesn't make the most sense:
    https://twitter.com/search?q=Konnan5150%20SoDuTw%20&src=typd&f=realtime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭LOTD

I've only started to listen to MLW recently so I'm not really bored or tiring of people's attitudes at the moment, though that story of Alice going to Scotland to hook up with the guy on a whim and returned to the States later that day. Then has the gall to call him a weirdo, give me a break . Listening to it today, all Konnan wanted Samoa Joe to do was talk smack about TNA, which I found it a bit disrespectful considering Joe is employed there at the moment. It came across as he was undermining Joe's career plus you can tell Joe takes a lot of pride in the work he does.

• Advertisement

Recap:
    TNA Star Samoa Joe was interviewed by MLW Radio on tons of subjects including comments made to Joe early in his career by Jim Ross,

On the Infamous Kidnapping angle and Vince Russo:

"You want me to break the silence on that? I don't like getting verbal spats with people who I don't think are worth my time or my effort and a dude in particular is Vince Russo. This cat, I don't have a problem with Vince Russo. When he left i just told him, It is what it is. He always had 22 million reasons for making the decisions that he made. But when Hogan and Bischoff came in they said 'Oh we have this great idea. We are going to do this thing and take you off of TV and re-brand you. Do all this other stuff. We do this kidnapping thing and you come back as a psychopath.' I was cool with it.

I sat at home for 3 months on a bitching ass vacation. I had one of the best vacations in the history of vacations. Paid vacation. Getting ready so i call them back Week after Week 'What do you guys need me to do'. They would say 'We are still coming up with something'. Vince Russo with his infinite ridiculousness just said, we are short on babyfaces and so i get a call saying 'Joe we need to bring you back to TV'.

So I asked him, So how is it that you are going to bring me back. He said, I don't know how just yet but we need to bring you in. So the dude couldn't write his way out of a kidnapping. The only reason why I bring this up is because he has the audacity to blame all of his silliness on other people. And by the way wrestlers, Pro wrestlers all over the world and people in the business. Stop whoring yourself out to shoot interviews. This man couldn't write his way out of a kidnapping. That's how much respect he had for the product, how much respect he had for the fans and that is indicative of his style of what he did. He was the head writer at the time and this is the way he felt that was admissible. Now i know this little bitch is going to go back on a shoot and talk all of this ****."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Joe enjoyed that vacation a bit too much aswell

I'm amazed Konnan bothers replying to you. He obviously has as much time on his hand as you do.

Woman beating and calling people fags.. The horror.

I'm amazed Konnan bothers replying to you. He obviously has as much time on his hand as you do.

Got out of the wrong side of the bed today, Mick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Yes actually.

Yes actually.

As mentioned on another thread I wasn't in the best of form this morning when I posted the above and regretted doing so afterwards.

If people are genuinely offended by it, I take it back. I read it as people trying to be offended.

He has been using the f word since the beginning, and this is the first complaint I have seen here. I don't think there is any maliciousness behind it.

I don't believe he is a homophobe - he has spoken at length on previous podcasts on the subject. Insults in general have little substance. It's not a word I would use personally, but I hear it all the time.

As for woman beating, at least he is honest. I personally think in a world of equals women shouldn't be treated differently to men.

It's all down to circumstances. In my opinion, hitting a man is no more acceptable than hitting a woman if the circumstances are the same.

I suppose that's not 'pc'.

I am not a violent person. I have never hit a woman in my life.

Konnan has become increasinly irritating recently though and the addition of yer wan isn't helping,

On my phone, it's Saturday night..

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭duuuaaaane

Hey lads,

I've relaunched Wrestling Voice Radio and kicked it off with an interview with Jim Cornette I conducted this week.

Going to be running shows more frequently now so make sure to subscribe on iTunes & Stitcher.

Got some cool interviews coming up: Bret Hart & DDP return and will also be talking to Hulk Hogan, Eric Bischoff, Scott Hall and hope to get the likes of Joey Ryan, Trent?, Chris Hero, The Young Bucks on soon also.

http://www.wrestlingvoiceradio.com/interview/jim-cornette-interview-january-2014/

Cheers!

Really enjoyed Part 2 of Austin's podcast with Roddy Piper. At parts it sounded like they were going to fall into each others arms and break down in tears.

Dean Ambrose is on the Art of Wrestling this week. Not sure what to make of it. It is largely him being grumpy about his time on the indies on a non-specfic basis with little if at all WWE/NXT talk. For a WWE contracted talent he swears up a storm too.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭duuuaaaane

Back again - not an interview but a Royal Rumble Preview Show + More! Have a listen and if you enjoy subscribe on iTunes or Stitcher please!

http://www.wrestlingvoiceradio.com/2014/01/wrestling-voice-radio-royal-rumble-preview-23rd-january-2014/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Steve Austin has Jim Johnston on his latest podcast,really fascinating chat with a guy who I've always wanted to hear interviewed.

Advertisement