Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

NGPEP10.jpg

The New Generation project podcast covered a 'best TV matches of 1994' which is good as believe it or not there were some good TV matches in that period. Bret, Shawn and Kid heavily feature. It features one of the most underrated WWF matches of the 90s in Shawn/Diesel vs Kid/Razor.

http://www.piledriverwrestling.net/index.php/audiomain/new-generation-project/1507-the-new-generation-project-podcast-10-free-for-all-1994

I tried listening to one of the Ruthless Agression Era podcasts but I turned it off due to poor audio quality and poor banter.

There's a couple of WCW podcasts that have appeared. I use Stitcher and I think 'Podcast Unknown' is the only up there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

In the upcoming weeks guests who will be appearing on the Ross Report include: ESPN's Michelle Beadle, Lance Storm, MVP, Sting, Eric Bischoff and Ted DiBiase, Tony Schiavone and Cowboy Bill Watts, among others including Stan Hansen

Hyped

rovert wrote: »
    Hyped

But can you stay hyped?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

I enjoyed Austin's latest with referee Jim Korderas. Nice to see wrestling talked about from the referees point of view. He also talks about Owen Hart as he was the referee in the ring the night Owen died.

Jim Korderas is great on Twiter if you want to hunt him out.

Listened to Korderas on Austin's. Really enjoyed it, seems very nice and has a few stories. Didn't know/remember he was the one who was in the ring when Owen Hart fell :(

He's been on The Law radio a few times over the past few years. Worth seeking out them pods if you want more.

Figure 4 wrestling are playing a loop of shows from the past few months of Wrestling Observer radio for anyone curious what it's like http://www.f4wonline.com/component/content/article/34175

• Advertisement

Jericho interviewing Cesaro was class.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Austin's feud with the Broken Skull rats is one of his best feuds ever. :D He's such a good natural talker he can entertain just talking about rats. Someone sent in a question asking if he thinks he could stun one of these rats. :D

Jim Ross was on the PWTorch Livecast yesterday doing a 4 hour interview. One of the bigger things he noted was that Shawn Michaels will be his guest on Tuesday's podcast. Ross said that Michaels will drop a "bombshell" during the interview that has something to do with the finish to Undertaker/Lesnar, and noted that Michaels was sitting in Gorilla with HHH/Vince during that match. He swore that this wasn't just hype, calling it a "game-changing announcement" and then told Wade Keller that "you will be writing about this after you hear it".

It was a 4 1/2 interview with Jim Ross on PWTorch. It was really good.

Hyped to hear Shawn Michaels tell us that the ref didn't know the finish and Vince McMahon made the call to have Taker lose.

Part one of Ross' interview with Shawn is up http://PodcastOne.com/The-Ross-Report

Skip to 40 minutes passed the shïte about berries and hogs for the stuff about WrestleMania. No idea what the "bombshell" was supposed to be.
    He says the call for the Taker vs Lesnar match was made four hours beforehand and intimates it was Vince who made the decision.

• Advertisement

Haven't listened yet but a lot of people online seem to feel conned by all of JR's hype.

Haven't listened yet but a lot of people online seem to feel conned by all of JR's hype.

Don't waste your time on it as Shawn doesm't say anything we didn't already know as I expected. He even does the thing of "well I could find out more but I'm not going to because ya know".

I cringed in the last ten minutes of JR's podcast with Michaels when JR basically talked up the merits of being a yes-man, always do what the general says, and if you don't want to do what he says, stop cashing his cheques. Fairly ironic coming from such a big supporter of the Stone Cold character.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,640 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I cringed in the last ten minutes of JR's podcast with Michaels when JR basically talked up the merits of being a yes-man, always do what the general says, and if you don't want to do what he says, stop cashing his cheques. Fairly ironic coming from such a big supporter of the Stone Cold character.

There is a reason why Jim Ross is a member of the Kiss My Ass Club.:p

There is a reason why Jim Ross is a member of the Kiss
    My Ass Club.:p
    Oh but you see Jim was just playing a "character" there :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Wrestlers are awful for that to be fairness, Korderas was joking about it on Austin's podcast a while back how everyone used to fix the business in the car home from shows. Everyone wants to tell other people how to run their businesses (usually with the idea being to put themselves at the top) but don't actually do anything about it. It's always 'the business is ****ed' or 'the promoter doesn't know what he's doing' instead of 'maybe I need to up my own game...'

WWE is Vince's company, TNA is Dixie's. It's their money ultimately making it all work and their visions keeping people employed, for better or worse. So if people don't like it they should just leave, improve or keep their mouths shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

JR podcast with Michaels is sh!t

Pipers with DDP is good

leggo wrote: »
    Wrestlers are awful for that to be fairness, Korderas was joking about it on Austin's podcast a while back how everyone used to fix the business in the car home from shows. Everyone wants to tell other people how to run their businesses (usually with the idea being to put themselves at the top) but don't actually do anything about it. It's always 'the business is ****ed' or 'the promoter doesn't know what he's doing' instead of 'maybe I need to up my own game...'

WWE is Vince's company, TNA is Dixie's. It's their money ultimately making it all work and their visions keeping people employed, for better or worse. So if people don't like it they should just leave, improve or keep their mouths shut.

Don't agree with that at all. Innovative companies empower employees to challenge the status quo. If a wrestler doeson't like WWE's direction he should be able to challenge it without fearing for their job. In fact if you do challenge it the fans will love you for it. That's one of the things that made the Attitude era great. Guys knew they had the WCW option if they were sacked and Vince knew it too.

My favourite example is the ceo of Red Hat, generally considered one of the most innovative tech companies. He once talked about the fact that employees often come into his office and call him an asshole. :D

The old dictatorial style kills innovation. Instead it results in yes men who tell the boss what he wants to hear. This is a common complaint of ex-WWE writers about the culture there.

Don't agree with that at all. Innovative companies empower employees to challenge the status quo. If a wrestler doeson't like WWE's direction he should be able to challenge it without fearing for their job. In fact if you do challenge it the fans will love you for it. That's one of the things that made the Attitude era great. Guys knew they had the WCW option if they were sacked and Vince knew it too.

My favourite example is the ceo of Red Hat, generally considered one of the most innovative tech companies. He once talked about the fact that employees often come into his office and call him an asshole. :D

The old dictatorial style kills innovation. Instead it results in yes men who tell the boss what he wants to hear. This is a common complaint of ex-WWE writers about the culture there.

The idea of Stone Cold Steve Austin tell the boss to F-off has gotten to too many people as the way things should be.

I think it was Bruce Pritchard who told a great story about when he first started working with Vince and Patterson told him something like, "You'd get along a lot better if you added the words 'What if...' to your vocabulary," when disagreeing with him rather than outright calling BS. So we know Vince does listen to outside voices, indeed I'd view his reported indecisiveness on matters as a positive in that he seems to like to get as many voices on a topic before making the final call himself.

And, while it's good to be outspoken and have a vision for your own brand and career (indeed the best rely on that to get them to the top), at the end of the day you have to respect who's paying your bills and that their decision-making has kept the company in business for you to earn a wage doing a pretty sweet job. Otherwise we'd just have a company full of CM Punks walking out every time they're not 'the guy' for a period of time.

It's also been my experience, both in wrestling and outside, that most people who decry 'Yes men' are bitter people who aren't getting their own way and want the world to revolve around them without looking in the mirror at their own performance as a reason for their lack of success. They often aren't even in the room when they're allegedly getting 'screwed over' (which often isn't even the case, it's just a case of their performances not nearly matching the size of their ego and a lack of self-awareness or introspection). Ultimately from Vince McMahon right down to the depths of the indies, wrestling promoters just want to make money and won't hold down someone who can do so for them. So the entire concept of 'Yes men' spoiling their career trajectory is a total non-factor in wrestling and just a loud excuse used by those who don't take their chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

Enjoying Austins podcast with Bischoff. Looks like its a 3 parter.

• Advertisement

Think my interest in the podcastone podcast has peaked. Ross' interview with Michaels was bad but Austin and Bischoff talking about beer and hunting has me bored to tears. The ads suck too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Think my interest in the podcastone podcast has peaked. Ross' interview with Michaels was bad but Austin and Bischoff talking about beer and hunting has me bored to tears. The ads suck too.

You wanna talk about ads sucking, I saw some awful ads over on this website called DRAFT KINGS DOT COM. THAT'S DRAFT KINGS DOT COM.

The stuff of interest gets reported on away too.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Austins story about farting in the gym was hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

You wanna talk about ads sucking, I saw some awful ads over on this website called DRAFT KINGS DOT COM. THAT'S DRAFT KINGS DOT COM.
    He's obviously not taking his alphabrain

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

He's obviously not taking his alphabrain

I hear he gets it from onnit.com

The stuff of interest gets reported on away too.

Yup yup. The second part of the Bischoff one is alright when they get talking wrestling. He's on Jim Ross' show soon apparently, bit of overexposure there tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

Oh but you see Jim was just playing a "character" there :rolleyes:
    Although i don't really like him a lot anymore i don't think he was a yes man he seems to come across like that but a lot of reports from around the time of his sacking paint a different picture.

http://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2013/9/26/4775176/jim-ross-was-on-thin-ice-with-vince-mcmahon-since-wrestlemania-29
    The McMahon / Ross dynamic was weird throughout JR's run with the company, as he was one of the few insiders who told Vince how he really saw it and would make it be known when he disagreed with the WWE owner's decisions. Although this was always done in a diplomatic fashion and McMahon claims he likes differing opinions, of course, his actions speak otherwise.

Alan4L has a free podcast on the Wrestling Observer site looking at 2007 ROH
    DR. KEITH PRESENTS: Indy Good Ol' Days! ROH 2007!!!

It's the LONG awaited closing chapter of the Indy Good Ol' Days series on the DKP, and we hope it's worth the wait. THE LONGEST DKP EVER!!! Alan is joined by Matt Feuerstein to talk Morishima, Steen & Generico, Faction Warfare, Rebecca Bayless, Age Of The Fall and everything else that went down during the last full year of Gabe era Ring Of Honor. And oh, we haven't done a free show in a while so GUESS WHAT! It's Freeeee!!! Right here at http://www.f4wonline.com, your home for all things ProWres! CHECK IT!!!

http://www.f4wonline.com/component/content/article/105-dr-keith/36876-dr-keith-presents-indy-good-ol-days-roh-2007

All time great faction:
    No_Remorse_Corps.jpg

• Advertisement

BohsJohnny wrote: »
    Although i don't really like him a lot anymore i don't think he was a yes man he seems to come across like that but a lot of reports from around the time of his sacking paint a different picture.

http://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2013/9/26/4775176/jim-ross-was-on-thin-ice-with-vince-mcmahon-since-wrestlemania-29

Yeah I don't necessarily buy that he only covets the opinions of yes men at all, again who's the source there? People with egos who think he's an idiot for not giving them 7-year title reigns, $1m downsides and 100% merch deals?

Strong leaders, and leaders that last as long as he has, are those that don't mind being told that they're wrong because they understand that finding a better solution that earns money is more important than being right about petty issues. Of course sometimes Vince is gonna take a risk against advice due to a hunch and be wrong sometimes, and of course people have to be diplomatic in knocking his ideas. He'd be a proud man himself who's learned to trust his gut thanks to his success, so likely wouldn't respond well to being told he's an idiot who doesn't have a clue. That's not the same as disagreeing with him, though.

Advertisement