Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Listened to Colt's interview with John Pollock, you can tell how annoyed/dismayed he was to see so many top superstars get podcasts (i.e. direct competition from people who are far more popular and don't 'need' it). I completely agree, feel bad for him and indy wrestlers/ex-employees getting smoked by the popular crowd. Also how his userbase has stopped growing but is happy with his core fanbase. Seems like a real good dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

The wrestling podcasts must do well if they're adding more.. Bill Goldberg has little to no personality if his interview with JR is anything go by. I need more shows but definitely won't be listening to him.

Same goes for Roddy Piper, I loved him when I was a kid but he's such an irritating d*ckhead to listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

I'd be really interested to hear Podcast One's business model. Goldberg presumably cost a lot more to get on board than almost anyone else they've got there and he's got pretty much no upside for this kind of thing as far as I'm aware. There's gotta be some serious pro-wrestling interviews podcast bubble going on atm, can't go on forever cos they're already all interviewing the same people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I'd be really interested to hear Podcast One's business model. Goldberg presumably cost a lot more to get on board than almost anyone else they've got there and he's got pretty much no upside for this kind of thing as far as I'm aware. There's gotta be some serious pro-wrestling interviews podcast bubble going on atm, can't go on forever cos they're already all interviewing the same people.

It's easy: find big emerging markets full of people with followings who want a low effort, high reward creative outlets, find advertisers to those audiences and then I'd guess they're charging advertisers one rate for increased listeners. So say they've got a combined 250,000 listeners between Austin, JR, Jericho etc, and Goldberg adds 50k, they'd increase rates accordingly but still probably charge less than radio/TV while hitting similar numbers that have specifically targeted audiences.

I've been trying to get podcast businesses off the ground since podcasts were a thing. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Goldberg is bloody awful at everything. Podcast One need to take a long hard look at themselves, the amount of incest and redundancy is through the roof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

I love roddy pipers podcast, his and austins are the best imo. J.R has been a big letdown

Can't see myself listening to goldberg. His might be more nfl centred

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

leggo wrote: »
    It's easy: find big emerging markets full of people with followings who want a low effort, high reward creative outlets, find advertisers to those audiences and then I'd guess they're charging advertisers one rate for increased listeners. So say they've got a combined 250,000 listeners between Austin, JR, Jericho etc, and Goldberg adds 50k, they'd increase rates accordingly but still probably charge less than radio/TV while hitting similar numbers that have specifically targeted audiences.

I've been trying to get podcast businesses off the ground since podcasts were a thing. :pac:
    Let's say they've got a combined 250k unique listeners, is Bill Goldberg honestly bringing in any new people that aren't already listening to at least one of the others? Why would an advertiser want to have Bill Goldberg awkwardly try to sell their **** when they could have Austin or Jericho instead?

Let's say they've got a combined 250k unique listeners, is Bill Goldberg honestly bringing in any new people that aren't already listening to at least one of the others? Why would an advertiser want to have Bill Goldberg awkwardly try to sell their **** when they could have Austin or Jericho instead?

That's the con, though (kinda). They'd sell on, say, 300,000 listeners rather than 300,000 unique listeners. They're not as accountable as radio stations in providing listenership stats for selling ads, since they're picking and choosing their potential buyers and selling at lower rates. Plus Goldberg and each additional wrestler would bring in their own unique audience, exposing the entire PodcastOne Network to these listeners. The nature of advertising and promotions is hitting people from multiple platforms to bring in the widest audience possible. So each new podcast pays for itself and feeds the machine.

It's a solid business plan, to be fair. They'd just need a whopper amount of capital to get the ball rolling (which is why it's not being done everywhere; plus the entire jig is a risk and they could still end up being a fad rather than a long-term success if wrestlers lose interest or the product grows stale/over-exposed and the audience does - podcasts and spoken-word tours are very possible fad candidates for ageing workers looking to turn a quick buck on their name)

But keep in mind this is all just speculation from someone who's spent years thinking up different ways trying to figure out podcasts and far from the definitive model they're using.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,640 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I have listened to them all for a while now.

It is now time to give up most of them the only two that are holding my interest these days are Colt and Austin.

The rest are a bit Blah really.

leggo wrote: »
    That's the con, though (kinda). They'd sell on, say, 300,000 listeners rather than 300,000 unique listeners. They're not as accountable as radio stations in providing listenership stats for selling ads, since they're picking and choosing their potential buyers and selling at lower rates. Plus Goldberg and each additional wrestler would bring in their own unique audience, exposing the entire PodcastOne Network to these listeners. The nature of advertising and promotions is hitting people from multiple platforms to bring in the widest audience possible. So each new podcast pays for itself and feeds the machine.

It's a solid business plan, to be fair. They'd just need a whopper amount of capital to get the ball rolling (which is why it's not being done everywhere; plus the entire jig is a risk and they could still end up being a fad rather than a long-term success if wrestlers lose interest or the product grows stale/over-exposed and the audience does - podcasts and spoken-word tours are very possible fad candidates for ageing workers looking to turn a quick buck on their name)

But keep in mind this is all just speculation from someone who's spent years thinking up different ways trying to figure out podcasts and far from the definitive model they're using.

But unlike most radio advertising, Podcast one listeners are encouraged to enter promotional codes which gives the advertiser an exact return on their costs. If it doesn't pay, they won't hang around very long.

A lot of them seem to stick around so it must be working for them..

I like JR's show, he's just had some terrible guests. Michaels, Goldberg, Lita, ESPN guy.. Paint dry..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Stamps.com must be raking in the billions so.

Haven't heard their ads on Austin's show for quite a while.

SHAVE TIME, SHAVE MONEY.. VISIT DOLLAR SHAVE CLUB DOT COM TODAY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

If there isn't an ad for Stamps.com or Audible.com is it really an ad break?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Deadlie

I've really enjoyed the last few Attitude Era podcasts. It's up to Armageddon '99 now and they've gotten better every episode. Anyone on here know the Kevin lad from it?

Sorry I've only caught up with podcasts in the last week.

Jericho is so full of ****.

Before warrior passes away - warrior just rambles on at the hof.

Next week after he dies - warrior was so nice to me in wcw.

Why did you slag him off in the self destruction DVD then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Did he:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Jericho pokes fun at everyone's expense, including himself. He's just having a laugh. It's worth noting that the younger guys on the Warrior Self-Destruction DVD are obviously Warrior fans and are generally quite complimentary. (eg Edge and Christian spout off promos from memory)

Edit: Looked up the DVD. Jericho repeats a Warrio promo verbatim, then says "I don't know what he said, but it sounded cool, so yay!" (sarcastic clapping). He finishes off with "I think Warrior will be remembered as a wrestler with great intensity, really unique, and special at a time when no-one was doing what he was doing, and I think he was a little bit under-rated as a wrestler as well, because when the time came he could put on a great match. And I'll always remember Warrior as one of the most exciting characters in WWE history."

Can't be fairer than that. Even on a burial DVD.

We all made jokes at his HoF speech that look awful in hindsight to be fair. It was a poor, rambling speech that only took on extra significance when he passed. You can't blame Jericho for adopting a more respectful tone after he died; it just sounds bad in hindsight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 iamnhoward

There's a good wrestling podcast under Grantland Sports called Cheap Heat.

Just started listening but they review most shows and classic PPV's, its the best podcast i've heard from fans for fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 iamnhoward

To be fair to Jericho with regards to the DVD, its very political. We'll never know his true feelings but if he didnt do with head office told him, his push would be taken away and he'd probably have had to job to Duane Gill.......

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

iamnhoward wrote: »
    There's a good wrestling podcast under Grantland Sports called Cheap Heat.

Just started listening but they review most shows and classic PPV's, its the best podcast i've heard from fans for fans.

Not a fan personally. The oh "it is fans podcast" is just an excuse to be lazy, not source things and/or make things up. Often they don't even cover shows it is Rosenberg bragging about how much of a big deal he is and "historian" Shoemaker getting stuff wrong most people here would get right.

I like Cheap Heat! Not the hugest of Rosenberg fans, I don't even think Grantland are but he has a following and a studio, he spent half of the Velvet Sky interview this week talking about a 'work' he did with her that nobody knows or cares about. I like The Masked Man, not only because I owe a debt to him (he made it okay for mainstream sports sites to cover wrestling), but he has interesting theories and seems a nice, humble guy despite his popularity.

The show has become a must-listen for me. It's a nice mix of fans being fans and also an elevated discussion with complex theories woven in (thanks to Shoemaker) rather than the usual 'Stop holding down Daniel Bryan' rants, which can grate. I like being challenged with interesting, different viewpoints on wrestling, and the lads introduce them in a gentle, self-aware way that respects the fact that they're not in the business after all. So even if it's wildly off-base, I'll still give it some thought and respect.

Not to be too much of a whore, but we got an exclusive interview with Fergal Devitt that some here might be interested in. We got into it on all subjects from his time in Japan, the divide of wrestling in Ireland and how he'd fix it and he brought up the WWE rumours himself in part 2 (which I wasn't expecting). Part 1 is online here (the interview is about 25 mins in, it's marked in the waveform) with part 2 coming next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

So this happened on Twitter today...

Due to podcasts having idiotic friends and associates, I now have a fee for them.

Says he charges $25. Fair enough.

He also got a bit aggro with a fan. And in other podcast news, Colt Cabana made some lame joke about how NXT wrestlers have crap a twitter prescence.

AJ Styles on Chris Jericho's podcast was real interesting listen. AJ has very much done the rounds interview wise but he seems to open up more to a fellow Wrestler about his disappointments about TNA as a business. Recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

rovert wrote: »
    AJ Styles on Chris Jericho's podcast was real interesting listen. AJ has very much done the rounds interview wise but he seems to open up more to a fellow Wrestler about his disappointments about TNA as a business. Recommended.

Actually just saw it myself there now, gonna give it a listen.

Bishchoff is on JR's latest podcast, I'm all Bischoffed out after Austin's four (I think) podcasts with him. So I think I'll give that a miss. Not too much interest in Vader from me either, but I like listening to Austin just shoot the breeze so I'll prob give ep121 of the family-friendly version a listen later on tonight too.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Vader's 2nd is absolutely fantastic. If you've any interested in japanese wrestling in the 90's especially it's a must listen.

Attitude Era podcast's Royal Rumble 2000 review is finally up:
    EPISODE 22 (22?!)It's the first PPV of the new millenium and one of the most critically acclaimed shows of all time! Straight from MSG we've got tables, Tazz and Cactus Jack challenging for the WWF title in a street fight. IT'S GONNA BE EMOTIONAL!

https://soundcloud.com/the-attitude-era-podcast/royal-rumble-2000/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

"one of the most critically acclaimed shows of all time!" is a bit of a stretch. Will give it a listen the morrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭duuuaaaane

On June 20th, I'll be launching my latest wrestling-related venture 'Who Is Wrestling', a podcast that talks with professional wrestlers and ask 'Who are they', not in the sense of 'Who the f*** is that guy?' but rather 'What makes that wrestler who he is?'...

The first episode will be released on June 20th, where I'll be asking 'Who is Adam Cole?', I'll be sitting down with Adam next week in London so hopefully the recording goes well. Devitt is going to be there also so I've sent him a text asking if he'll be on, fingers crossed.

Would appreciate a follow if it's something that may interest you.

https://www.twitter.com/WhoIsWrestling
    https://www.facebook.com/WhoIsWrestling

Advertisement