Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Meltzer's fine imo, he's very objective and matter of fact but he'll pick out positives if he can usually. How he comes across depends quite heavily on who he's with.

Alvarez has been pretty jaded for a good while and I can't imagine he's gotten any better since I last heard him (Especially if he's still talking to Lance Storm on a weekly basis. :pac: )
    Bryan Alvarez' voice just really grates on me for some reason. He comes across as thinking he's a star I get the impression. I couldn't imagine paying to listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Bryan Alvarez' voice just really grates on me for some reason. He comes across as thinking he's a star I get the impression. I couldn't imagine paying to listen.

Get the same feeling from Jason Agnew. Annoying grating voice and condescending

Who's that? I'm listening to the Ross Report with the Hardy Boys at the moment, it's good enough.

Who's that? I'm listening to the Ross Report with the Hardy Boys at the moment, it's good enough.

He's on Live Audio Wrestling from the Fight Network, think he's at his worse doing that dumb quiz they do to fill time

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

It definitely takes a while to get accustomed to, as it gets high pitched during his rants. He's an excellent host and has a lot of great food for thought. I love how he makes himself happy first and foremost with stuff like having his granny on for half an hour a week!
    ERG89 wrote: »
    Get the same feeling from Jason Agnew. Annoying grating voice and condescending

Yeah, he killed me listening to the LAW. Came back a few months later to give him another chance, and immediately showed me why I should never listen again; shouting down a caller. So I haven't since. It's an embarrassment having a troll internet character gimmick and expect to be taken seriously. It's a shame since I'd like to listen to Braden talking about NXT.

• Advertisement

I thought the stuff I heard of Bryan Alvarez talking to callers about TNA's T.V deal going tits up was a bit weird. He was getting very confrontational. I just wouldn't put too much into what any of these guys say, in terms of what should and shouldn't be done with the current creative output of wrestling companies. I think they're fascinating and good for news scoops, but when it comes to pushing their own agendas, I just lose interest pretty quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Yeah, he killed me listening to the LAW. Came back a few months later to give him another chance, and immediately showed me why I should never listen again; shouting down a caller. So I haven't since. It's an embarrassment having a troll internet character gimmick and expect to be taken seriously. It's a shame since I'd like to listen to Braden talking about NXT.

The LAW was all over for me when Agnew started talking about how he was chatting up some poor girl that ended up in the seat next to him at a Raw show. About 15 minutes of how much of a playa he is because he got her number. He's just a sad act.

Well if he got her number he must have done something right, at the same time, ha ha. But there's probably no need for that on the podcast. Although I love it on The Place To Be podcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Alvarez is a bit of a waffler on his live call-in show but in general he doesn't shout down the callers unless it's one of the regular gimmick callers. Lately he's had a lot of interviews (ROH guys this week, Chikara guys past week iirc) which doesn't work well on that live show with ad breaks every five mins.

Agnew is a tosser. John Pollock is good but it's hard to create good radio out of such a frustratingly inconsistent slew of shows.

Ageyev wrote: »
    John Pollock is good but it's hard to create good radio out of such a frustratingly inconsistent slew of shows.

Like John and Wai. I always try listen to Review a Raw/Wai but Agnew is worse than Lovranski.
    I even like John on the Fight Network 'Fight News Now' youtube updates with John Ramdeen and Robin Black but I can't bare to listen to the LAW Show on Monday anymore. The only bearable part is when they talk to Meltzer as they don't interrupt him talking like inpatient asses.

• Advertisement

Something that has really baffled me over the past year or so is how many of these guys seem to be complete and utter marks for Dave Meltzer. The guy isn't Bruno Sammartino for God's sake. He gets information, fair play to him. But what is it with the cult of Dave Meltzer?

He's the most credible reporter in the history of wrestling, and has been for decades. So many other people have jobs because of his work.

Maybe I just don't know that much about him. I'm glad he's there. But I'm a fan of wrestling!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

He's the most credible reporter in the history of wrestling, and has been for decades. So many other people have jobs because of his work.

Meltzer was a pioneer in wrestling journalism. Simple as that.

But I don't understand how some people seem more obsessed with him than the actual sport?

Define obsessed?

I can understand people enjoying his work and reading his newsletter but are people really obsessed?

"I knew about that two weeks ago." "Melty." I see so many smarks online saying things like, I wonder what "Dave" thinks of this. It's strange. It seems people wait to be told what opinion to have, instead of forming their own.

"I knew about that two weeks ago." "Melty." I see so many smarks online saying things like, I wonder what "Dave" thinks of this. It's strange. It seems people wait to be told what opinion to have, instead of forming their own.

Id hardly called that obsessed tbh, just people who read him and appreciate his insider knowledge. I think its more of I wonder what Dave thinks, to see if theres truth to a certain rumour.

One of the people from Attitude Era podcast started a new podcast introducing his girlfriend to wrestling https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/how2wrestling/id1015363013?mt=2

I'm just giving the first episode a try today. Introducing a newbie to wrestling is a fine idea and worked on the AE and NewGen podcasts.

One of the people from Attitude Era podcast started a new podcast introducing his girlfriend to wrestling https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/how2wrestling/id1015363013?mt=2

I'm just giving the first episode a try today. Introducing a newbie to wrestling is a fine idea and worked on the AE and NewGen podcasts.

Its an interesting idea but I imagine it could make him single in the long term :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

To be fair if you're this interested in wrestling you should at least know who the top reporters are. He's also unintentionally funny as well considering how little mainstream cultural knowledge himself and Bryan have outside of wrestling/MMA. Himself and Bryan talking about Croke Park was a recent highlight.

tl;dr he's really good but also open to criticism from "smarks"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

John Pollock should host the LAW. The reviews with Wai are easily the podcast I've listened to most. The other two are unlistenable.

I see so many smarks online saying things like, I wonder what "Dave" thinks of this. It's strange. It seems people wait to be told what opinion to have, instead of forming their own.

Absolutely, it's a bit scary. Some people just take his word as the gold standard and what's 'right' to think, instead of forming their own opinion (which would require much more thinking, lol). It's definitely a bit weird as I find Meltzer as the type to answer a question to 'what's the best match of all time?' with 'the one that drew the most money', as opposed to a personal opinion.

There was a great article about him last year iirc, I found it odd that he's been doing this for 30 years or so and he hasn't taken more of a producer/editor role, he's still doing the same things the same way he did decades ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Absolutely, it's a bit scary. Some people just take his word as the gold standard and what's 'right' to think, instead of forming their own opinion (which would require much more thinking, lol). It's definitely a bit weird as I find Meltzer as the type to answer a question to 'what's the best match of all time?' with 'the one that drew the most money', as opposed to a personal opinion.

There was a great article about him last year iirc, I found it odd that he's been doing this for 30 years or so and he hasn't taken more of a producer/editor role, he's still doing the same things the same way he did decades ago.

He's working with a tough - and perhaps a bit dated in 2015 - business model, so even if he was interested in moving up the ladder and producing his own content, it's probably not possible to do so unless they change the model beyond recognition. He'd have the name value and following to reinvent the wheel, but probably not the know-how, need or willingness to risk what works for him already. As is, he's influential, known by everyone in the wrestling/MMA industry and making a living from his love of wrestling, so he's probably just happy doing what he does.

You're right, though, it is odd how little he's built on his reputation given his status and the explosion of the Internet. Most probably would and he's probably left a lot of money on the table. But if it ain't broke and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Started listening to Flairs podcast the last day or so and it is great. The mans a headcase but I can listen to him all day.

Regarding Meltzer, I don't think he is as itk as he was back in the 90s but I like listening to him on The Law. It does come across as a lot of guess work on his part though.

I prefer to listen to Wade Keller. He can be annoying sometimes, especially with his obvious hatred of HHH, but I much prefer the Torch stuff than the Observer.

The Observer in the 80's was quite different. He regularly dumped on WWF, took potshots at many wrestlers he disliked or thought sucked or had fallen -Junkyard Dog was called Junkfood Dog is one notorious example - and he had a preference for JCP/NWA/Ric Flair much like how today he favours UFC.

Drawing power > workrate is one criticism of the WON Hall of Fame. You're right though, he does focus more on the money business/drawing power at times as seen in this video from CNN.

At 4:30 he is asked who the biggest wrestling star is and he says Dwayne Johnson and John Cena.

Well I guess that at least shows he has a love for the business of professional wrestling. I don't think that ever comes into question when I hear those guys. It's a bit like how Nirvana were this grounbreaking musical act in their own way, but in their wake they spawned thousands of utterly mediocre imitators. I think Meltzer has had a similar legacy on journalism in the sport. Sorry if that analogy seems a bit strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Loved the demolition appearance on the JR podcast. Two guys who are clearly with it and had a great run in wwe as tag champs. Should definitely be the in the WWE hall of fame. I'd love it.

At 4:30 he is asked who the biggest wrestling star is and he says Dwayne Johnson and John Cena

Surely Austin has the records for most ppv buys (time he was active) and shirts sold etc??

• Advertisement

You could make the argument that Hulk Hogan has more based on the amount of pay per views?

Advertisement