Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

In.fairness, what else could Jericho do

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

I'm not criticising the guy quite the opposite I think he dealt with it all pretty well, was just a cringey listen was all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

I doubt many of ye will listen to this but Im gonna post it anyway. Exile on Badstreet Ep 35 is a chat with Mike "Papa" Hales who if you are on Twitter as wrestling fans ye should be familiar with. He is like the grandfather of indy wrestling and will hopefully be visiting Ireland this year to take in an OTT show. Anyway the podcast discuss his life attending shows in Minnesota in the late 50s through Amarillo & Albuquerque in the 60s and then Tennessee in the 70s through to the modern day. Papa is such a cool guy and has been to see some of the best ever in their primes. It is a great listen if you are at all interested in the history of wrestling.

https://soundcloud.com/btspod/exile-on-badstreet-35-chattanooga-city-limits-w-mike-papa-hales

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

Brian Mann & Nate Milton have a new podcast for the L.A.W.
    Keep it 2000 where they review the WCW Nitro's from the year 2000's.
    It's bit odd choice. I think bit sick of the whole look how awful WCW was at this time and doing it every week will get tired real quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

That teddy hart interview was mental stuff all together. Fair play to jericho for not cracking up doing that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

No clue if anyone here listens to the second longest wrestling podcast, Between the Sheets, but this weeks episode covers the week of january 4th-10th 1999. Probably about as big of a geeking out as you're gonna get about one of the biggest weeks for the Monday night wars with a pretty solid assessment of how people felt at the time about what went down.

Never miss an episode of Between the Sheets. Its the best podcast out there IMO. Im only about an hour into this weeks show but I did get a little giddy at seeing it was 1999 this week.

I'm one of those people who are a bit crazily in the Lapsed Fan (the longest and best wrestling podcast, which is actually one hell of a well researched show too), but between the sheets is the one I'm surprised I don't see mentioned more. Maybe if they bookmarked it more effectively or released a shorter version just containing the US **** it might be able to draw in people more easily.

Provided it isn't a mid 80s episode, I usually find tons to enjoy.

On the Lapsed Fan end this month they're doing AWA centric episodes. Which means there will be a ridiculously thorough overview of Superclash III

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

LeeJM wrote: »
    Never miss an episode of Between the Sheets. Its the best podcast out there IMO. Im only about an hour into this weeks show but I did get a little giddy at seeing it was 1999 this week.

Listened to a lot of it but then I really started to get annoyed by Bixenspan. Just the biggest geek available, and those God damn music drops he plays completely killed it for me too.

How old is he, and how does he remember stuff from 1983 Dallas off the top of his head?

I'll give lapsed fan a shot I think, 5 hour podcasts is just enough time.

Listened to a lot of it but then I really started to get annoyed by Bixenspan. Just the biggest geek available, and those God damn music drops he plays completely killed it for me too.

How old is he, and how does he remember stuff from 1983 Dallas off the top of his head?

Some of the drops can get a tad repetitive. I always skip the Amazon game. Wouldnt say Bix is a geek, he probably just has a great memory.

• Advertisement

Bixenspan sounds like an absolutely huge geek, don't think that's a bad thing at all but I can see how it would grate.

There's no way he's old enough to remember some of the stuff he knows, like. Can totally imagine him being a fifteen year old who found wrestling forums online and got crazy into it. His memory of random old ass **** isn't the geeky part, it's the likelihood he obsessively went out and collected all this ****.

I can only imagine Lapsed Fan is close to impenetrable to new listeners at this stage, but lemme know how it goes! The running jokes have gotten way out of hand and some of them are just plain **** (the ones buoyed on by the listeners, in particular). Still the funniest podcast for me though.

I lasted all of 15 minutes, poor impressions of Vince that went on forever and some really douchebag jokes about "nailing the g-spot" was enough. Clearly he's a rather large virgin with that line of humour.

Yeah, like I said, some of the running jokes are terrible to the point that I can't imagine anyone getting into the show from a recentish episode.
    The fact they're unabashed losers is a big part of the appeal tbh.

The Vince impression was easily the best one I've heard though when they started at it, it was of Vince during the steroid trial, when he's doing his sincere serious voice.

Well, to be fair it was decent, but he didn't know when to quit. Timing is everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Perry saturn on talk is jericho was a heart breaking listen. Hes been through hell and back has perry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

ricero wrote: »
    Perry saturn on talk is jericho was a heart breaking listen. Hes been through hell and back has perry

Literally just finished it and came on to post the same thing. You need to listen to it if you haven't. It's a tough listen, but it also has some funny stories from WCW in there also. But it's the kind of story everyone should learn from because it's scary how quickly and easily someone can fall into such a deep pit. When I saw the video I was skeptical, but now it feels wrong not to get the gofundme campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Kenny Omega interviewed on the latest Wrestling Observer.

HHH was on WOL, it was a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

HHH was on WOL, it was a disaster.

Tell me more!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Brian Mann & Nate Milton have a new podcast for the L.A.W.
    Keep it 2000 where they review the WCW Nitro's from the year 2000's.
    It's bit odd choice. I think bit sick of the whole look how awful WCW was at this time and doing it every week will get tired real quick.

I listened to these, I enjoyed them. I watch the Nitro's too which are a tough watch for a first time viewer. Even towards the end the fans are a lot livelier than most shows now, which is surprising as they are watching poor stuff. Big T was a highlight for the wrong reasons.
    Review America was probably the best podcast produced from the LAW last year even though it had nothing to do with grappling. Pity Bauer & Pollock is over, enjoyed it as I find Review a Raw/Smackdown has been kinda formulaic a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Tell me more!

It was hilarious. He came on to promote a film he and some other wrestlers are in (think it's an animation) where they've done voiceover work. I think Alvarez asked him just two questions one of which was, 'do you find it strange being called Paul now instead of Triple H'. And another question about a segment HHH and Shawn had done 19 years ago in DX (Alvarez had reviewed it the night before) asking Hunter how they came up with the idea to buy a sausage to stick in their trousers - was it their idea or was it the writers? Then, right before HHH has to go, which is about seven or 8 minutes later, HHH just cuts in abruptly and starts talking about how he loved working on the movie, it's great, etc. Poor HHH wasn't asked one question about it by Alvarez. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Haven't heard talk about Bruce Pritchard's podcast "something to wrestle with". I thought I was at a stage of complete saturation in terms of wrestling podcasts. He does it with Conrad from the Ric Flair show.

It's really fantastic. They look back at stuff over the years and Bruce provides his 2 cents and thoughts. We'll never get that chance to see Vince quizzed about booking, ideas and shows. Bruce is a great 2nd best. He really was at the heartbeat for all WWE programming for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

STWW is the best wrestling podcast out there at the moment. The strength is they don't discuss anything current. It is an in depth examination on one specific topic from Prichard's 22 years in WWE (86 - 08).

They did 3 hours on Vader's WWF run and 3 hours on the Royal Rumble 1997 which were two of the stronger shows to date. The Ted Dibiase and Mr Perfect shows were great too, clocking in over 2.5 hours in length. I also loved hearing in detail about how they explained to Dusty Rhodes that his first WWF segment would involve pulling **** out of a toilet.

Major props have to go to Conrad Thomson for doing a lot of research for each show and challenging Bruce when he tries to tow the WWF party line for everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Tell me more!

KpB6U1X.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

This week keep it 2000 is pretty good. Esp the audio clips at the start cut together to explain the Radicals leaving WCW from different shoot interviews over the years. Also listening to Square Circle Gazette "Review-A-Russo" Spring Stampede (One right after Eric & Russo came back) much funnier and less serious look at this time then Keep it 2000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Anyone listened to Paul Roma on Austins pod? Its a 2 parter. last weeks part one was quite good, I thought Roma came across as a pretty nice guy with some good stories to tell. On this weeks one though he seems to be a pompous ass. And quite unprofessional too in his latter days in both WWF and WCW.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

gimmick wrote: »
    Anyone listened to Paul Roma on Austins pod? Its a 2 parter. last weeks part one was quite good, I thought Roma came across as a pretty nice guy with some good stories to tell. On this weeks one though he seems to be a pompous ass. And quite unprofessional too in his latter days in both WWF and WCW.

Haven't listened yet, but I liked Roma back in the day so i'm curious.

How did he go from a good insightful guy to an ass the following week? Did his true colours show in part 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

gimmick wrote: »

This is literally exactly what I thought.

For example, on the second episode he is asked why he left the WWF. He explains they were on the European tour and he and his partner Hernandez were booked in singles matches. This put Roma in a rage. He went to Pat Patterson and demanded to know why. Patterson just assured him he was going to get a push and Hernandez would be looked after. Roma said this was bull**** and he was quitting.

I listened to the story and kept waiting to hear exactly what the problem was. Basically he was just being a prick for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,643 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Jericho has Rusev and Lana with him this week.

Lana really grew up in Latvia from the age of 5 to 18 and really does speak fluent Russian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I quite enjoy Lilian's wrestling podcast show.

Advertisement