Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Im only 30 minutes into teh Russo episode and the "OJ Simpson vs Ron Goldman" idea has come up. My god :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Have absolutely loved the last two STTW podcasts covering Russo and Cena.

Both were interesting with intriguing insight from Bruce. That's what I want from this show. The impressions and gimmicks were kept to a minimum. A few of the episodes were ruined by completely overdoing the impressions, singing and all that jazz.

It's funny but don't milk it to the hilt EVERY show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭Monokne

It's noticeable how much they have toned down the 'highspots' for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Yeah completely agree! I listened to and enjoyed the last couple of shows because they actually stuck to the substance and did the thing that made me interested in listening to begin with.

It's mad when they do stuff like 'Jim Cornette rapping John Cena's old theme song' and Conrad turns around after like "It's not getting better than that". I'm like "really? Why is that funny?" It's kinda like 6-year old humour doing funny voices for no reason and being 'silly' and, when they devote so much time to it some shows, I'm just like "okay who is this for, you or me?"

But then when Conrad does great research and asks good questions and Bruce gives detailed answers (I don't even mind when he does the carny vet thing of "oh you know the idea that made the thing really successful? That was my idea" cus that's just what all of them do), what do you know it's a good show!

Bruce did come up with an awful lot of ideas on this weeks show...
    futuramafry_400x400.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Bayley interview on the family friendly version of Stone Cold's podcast, well worth a listen, and Part 2 drops next Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,789 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Bayley interview on the family friendly version of Stone Cold's podcast, well worth a listen, and Part 2 drops next Tuesday.

Yeah I heard it. The way she said at the very end about being in a tough place in her career was a bit ****. I mean her gimmick should be over but it's clear she's over more outside the us.

Rarely will you overtly hear how badly the booking on the main roster destroys people as this show. She outright says she had incredible confidence in NXT but she's the longer she's on the roster the more she's unsure of herself. I can't think of many performers they don't **** with like that. What a horrendous system.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,789 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Monokne wrote: »
    Rarely will you overtly hear how badly the booking on the main roster destroys people as this show. She outright says she had incredible confidence in NXT but she's the longer she's on the roster the more she's unsure of herself. I can't think of many performers they don't **** with like that. What a horrendous system.

Yeah she seems to be seriously doubting herself and honestly seeing what she is being given can you blame her ? She seemed to keep talking about Sasha and how much good friends they are which is great.

That's the case in every facet of entertainment though. You're a big fish in a small pond and at the height of confidence and mastery, then you get to the big leagues and sink or swim. I agree that WWE's main roster can often eat up promising talents from the indie/developmental scene, I'm just not sure it's the system's fault. Great talent will get themselves over no matter what, look at Bryan and Punk as a perfect example of that: neither of them were pegged to be top stars but their talent both got them there, and the system allowed them to be when that became undeniable (promoters don't turn away money).

I'd have probably booked Bayley differently myself, but also nobody can deny she hasn't had opportunities. Every time a talent is on-screen, that's an opportunity. She had a ****load of in-ring and mic time. When does it start to be her own fault, whether she's likeable or not? Tyler Breeze, for example, got no such favours and got himself a shot by simply nailing a job spot pretending to be Nikki Bella (and tapping out to her) against Cena in the build-up to Mania. Look at him and Fandango now. That's how you take opportunities. Half-hearted, mediocre promos and matches are how you blow them. Bayley screwed Bayley.

In sports, when promising young talent fails to deliver, we have stats etc to back it up and hold them accountable for their own failings. Sadly wrestling is subjective, so fans always default to blaming the system despite tons of examples that show the system will also let thriving talent succeed when they bring it.

• Advertisement

That's just guff to be blunt mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

leggo wrote:
    Bayley screwed Bayley.

Alright Vince.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Pretty good interview with Mike Kanellis on Edge and Christian show.

That's just guff to be blunt mate.

So Bayley has been knocking it out of the park in her promos and matches then? Honestly, point me to one great promo or match she's had on the main roster.

But no, it's creative's fault. They're getting in the ring and wrestling her bad matches for her. Sure.

What I'm not saying: WWE's machine is flawless in maximising the talent of stars.

What I am saying: truly talented wrestlers overcome this, and I've given examples of such. Point me to one wrestler the system has 'failed' that's constantly killed it week-in and week-out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

She was never that good to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

I do blame creative, personally. Same way I blame creative for killing Nakumura's steam in 2 months. Same way I blame creative for turning Gallows and Anderson from one of the best tag teams in Pro Wrestling to practically blips on the roster. Same way I blame them for having to turn to attractions every Wrestlemania because they can't create their own stars. Same way I blame them from turning an exciting new cruiserweight division into Sunday Night Heat. WWE has amassed the most talented roster they've ever had, ever. And they've completely mishandled it. They could just done a repeat of Bayleys story in NXT, the underdog who always chokes at the big stage until finally she wins the title at a Wrestlemania etc. It almost writes itself it's that obvious, and they managed to make her look like a simpleton rather than an underdog. A Eugene instead of a Rey Mysterio. I think to absolve creatives role for the mishandling of Bayley and to be honest the majority of the roster the last year or so is madness.

You're still missing my point lads. I even went back and did an edit last night to put "What I'm Not Saying..." to clarify (because I knew people would take that line) and you're arguing against that exact point.

My point is that the job of a wrestler is to take whatever creative they're given and somehow make it work. Tyler Breeze, again, was literally made dress like Nikki Bella and tap out to her...and he managed to spin it into a winning comedy gimmick where he's now getting hilarious weekly features and, I imagine, a fair bit of creative freedom. New Day took the most generic WWE black gimmick - dancing gospel singers - and slowly added their own tweaks to it to become a success. Lads I'm not thick, I KNOW WWE's creative process is eye-rolling at times (they've too much content to fill), but it's total laziness on talent's part and excuses on fan's to blame that for a wrestler failing.

Another view: I used to have this exact argument with people about Cody Rhodes. So he left and tried to make it on the indies. He's grand like, but he's not really getting reactions in New Japan despite a concerted push, nor is he setting the world on fire like many would say he was. He's getting a title shot against Okada this weekend and it'd be absolutely disgraceful if he won based on his performances. When he got his shot elsewhere, turns out he was the same 'fine' mid-card talent he was in WWE, but fans used to go crazy saying he just needed a shot. He got that elsewhere, and those fans are quieter now.

In NXT, the light is shining on you constantly, the entire setup is helped around letting you develop and succeed. It's not a business, in fact it loses money, but it's a trade-off for talent learning to work their style and investing in them for the future. In WWE, that dynamic flips and it becomes a job. And, like any normal job, their business is to make money, and for you to look after your own advancement. Their attitude, again like any employers is, "you can be a jobber or a star, we don't care because we'll find someone who'll fill your spot regardless." So it's not their fault when you fail, it's on you.

Bayley hasn't reached the heights of NXT because she's had mediocre matches and promos.

Gallows is clumsy in the ring and he and Anderson haven't had amazing matches and, in trying to work WWE's scripts, they've seemed hammy and forced instead of thriving like New Day, Breezango, The Usos etc.

Nakamura isn't in trouble. When he inevitably stands across the ring from Cena, ala Owens and Styles, and the crowd reacts as it will, wait and see if you still feel he doesn't look like a star.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,522 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Really liking Schiavone's podcast well except for Conrad who comes across totally sleazy on it for me compared to how he is on Brother Love's one.

I wouldn't mind seeing Tony come back and do some work on the Network he still has the commentators voice.

Wouldn't hold your breath on that. I think he has referenced at least 6 or 7 occasions he reached out to Hunter or Vince about working there and he was blanked every time. Even a year ago he reached out to do some production work on the network and they didn't give him the time of day.

It is a shame. Ross, Schiavone & Okerlund should be all over the network doing wraparound pieces on historical content.

Wasn't mad on this week's Something to Wrestling With. Punk is such an interesting character I was expecting way more. Instead it felt like 3 hours of Conrad reading out Wikipedia, which is kinda criminal because it's not as if Bruce ever jumps in over him with a story, he only really answers questions Conrad puts to him. So maybe edit and filter through the important stuff beforehand instead of reading out every insignificant ECW match Punk had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

leggo wrote: »
    Wasn't mad on this week's Something to Wrestling With. Punk is such an interesting character I was expecting way more. Instead it felt like 3 hours of Conrad reading out Wikipedia, which is kinda criminal because it's not as if Bruce ever jumps in over him with a story, he only really answers questions Conrad puts to him. So maybe edit and filter through the important stuff beforehand instead of reading out every insignificant ECW match Punk had.

Came across like Bruce had really lost interest in the last while he was in WWE, he didn't remember much or have much to say.

Is anyone going to his show in Dublin?

Full Marx wrote: »
    Came across like Bruce had really lost interest in the last while he was in WWE, he didn't remember much or have much to say.

Yeah and I guess he wasn't there when Punk got interesting, just the part where Triple H was 'holding him down', which seems to have mostly happened in Punk's imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

Full Marx wrote: »

Awful show this week.

Yes I'm heading in. Hopefully it will be decent and he won't do too much singing and impressions.

leggo wrote: »

Fully agree with this. Conrad has spoken on the SI podcast and his own message board about trying to do as much research as possible but there have definitely been shows where that has been a negative - the recent four Horseman shows with Schiavone, and this episode of STWW. I think it was an hour and 50 minutes before they even got to ECW. There were a few interesting tidbits in the show but not at this length. It was exhausting.

On a sidenote, I think they read your previous post about the impressions and gags. They're all gone! :confused:

In general I think this show is better when they are discussing older content (80's/90's), or when they're discussing a random PPV and the weeks leading up to it. The shows based on one individual can have that feeling you describe of reading off a guy's Wikipedia.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Did they have a ive show the week before maybe it suffers when they put too much attention to the live show and not into researching the show.

big syke wrote: »
    Awful show this week.

Yes I'm heading in. Hopefully it will be decent and he won't do too much singing and impressions.

I have a ticket but now have to work that day so I dunno if I'll make it.

If I'm going ill be heading up on my own so if anyone fancies a pint let me know

sky88 wrote: »
    Did they have a ive show the week before maybe it suffers when they put too much attention to the live show and not into researching the show.

They recorded two shows this week as Bruce is away next week so that may be it

Thinking about it further, the only reason I can come up with why they wouldn't cut down the research is that Conrad just pulls up a lot of tabs with info and doesn't really plan what he's going to say and just reams off info knowing he'll wing the right questions when they come up. The way I'm suggesting would be much, much tighter but it'd take waaaaayy longer.

Still, if I'm going to devote 3 hours to something and have it interrupted every few minutes for ads that they're selling to milk my listenership for cash, I kinda do expect them to do that prep beforehand. I wouldn't mind people winging it if it was a fan podcast with no advertising, but pros selling to Miller? Sorry, do your due dillengence.

I noticed the voices etc were gone and was happy with that! Then when they did the bit with Johnny Ace singing Cult Of Personality I was like "grand, I can skip that cus it's at the end" and I was done with this week's show. If that stuff gets over with some of the audience, if they keep it for the end where I knew I could skip (they've got the hit from me either way) I'd be completely happy with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Stop hating on Conrad Thompson the king of wrestling podcasts.

Love the show, love the format and love the voices. Top banter and a easy listen

e2FTGqVU.jpg

• Advertisement

I'm not hating on him, I'm a listener! :pac:

It's just that when they ask me to give them a few hours a week, I'm gonna have stuff to say just like people have stuff to say about 3 hours of Raw! They're not 'the little guy' doing this out of the goodness of their hearts, they're cleaning up from this (quite blatantly) so more than open for criticism when necessary.

Advertisement