Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

Unfortunately I have to agree with the previous posters regarding Prichard show; the bloom has very much gone off the rose. They have taken the successful aspects and beaten it into the ground and have become caricatures of themselves.

My interest has moved onto the JJ Dillon show, it has a "grandad telling stories" quality to it and is easy to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭Monokne

Full Marx wrote: »
    Unfortunately I have to agree with the previous posters regarding Prichard show; the bloom has very much gone off the rose. They have taken the successful aspects and beaten it into the ground and have become caricatures of themselves.

My interest has moved onto the JJ Dillon show, it has a "grandad telling stories" quality to it and is easy to listen to.

I somewhat disagree with what you say about STWW. I believe they've toned down much of the impressions and the bits they do, however, I think that given it is a 3 hour show, quite simply the novelty has worn off. I still listen to it but not with quite the same fervour as 3 months ago.

Your characterisation of the JJ Dillon show, however, is nailed on. My grandfather passed away in January and every time I listen to JJ I am reminded of him, both in the sometimes fond but sometimes wistful ways he reflects on times gone by, the frankness with which he speaks of himself, but also, the way in which he rambles off on tangents for what feels like tens of minutes at a time.

With JJ's honesty, the notes he kept during his time in wrestling, and the places he's been, the show could be fantastic. But his inability to stay on point makes it a really hard listen at times. Like on this weeks show, when they try and discuss Flair coming to the WWF with the belt in 1991, I'm waiting to hear his take on that, but first he spends ten minutes discussing Bret & Montreal, and Madusa & the trash can in broad strokes with no detail. Find that very frustrating.

Incidentally - JJ is maybe the nicest man in wrestling. After reading his fantastic book, I sent him an email expressing my admiration for it and asking him a few follow up questions, not really expecting a response. He practically sent me a novel!!! It was written exactly as he speaks on the show too - lengthy and off point, but charming and informative.

Here's me rambling like him... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭SarahVOW

I have been doing a bit more regular OTT coverage on Wrestling Observer/F4W site

Latest if anybody cares

http://www.f4wonline.com/dr-keith/dr-keith-presents-wrestlerama-240566

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Heyman seemed like a right snake if what even half of what bruce said was true. I really enjoyed this weeks something to wrestle with

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

ricero wrote: »
    Heyman seemed like a right snake if what even half of what bruce said was true. I really enjoyed this weeks something to wrestle with

What was Bruce saying about Heyman?

• Advertisement

jaykhunter wrote: »
    What was Bruce saying about Heyman?

Only halfway through it but he basically said heyman always buried the majority of the ecw roster when he was in creative meetings

The whole show both Conrad and Paul referenced Heyman being sneaky, maniuplative, and lying, to the point it was bordering on a character assassination.

Given his reputation in the industry, it's not difficult to believe much of this would be true. However there was almost no mention of Heyman's work with younger talent, his creative input, any of his good ideas, the talent he produced in developmental.

In addition, anything he has been credited with was debunked. The era with the Smackdown Six and the ratings being better for SD than Raw, for example, was dismissed. Prichard pointed out that after the shows were written they were pitched to Vince in a joint meeting with both Raw and SD announce teams, ergo they were "joint" shows and Heyman didn't deserve the credit. Conrad didn't challenge this logic which seemed absurd given if Heyman and his team wrote the show than its probably very unlikely that the product that made air was THAT different to what was written. Particularly given Prichard says himself SD was the B brand and an afterthought, getting little attention while Raw got all the focus.

It was probably my least favourite show. Conrad did mention on Twitter before it was published that logistics were such they recorded from 11pm until 2am after a long week so both were pushing through but not feeling great. Hopefully next weeks effort is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

The Atiitude Era/ How 2 Wrestling.... I used to really enjoy these pods but the last few months they've been pretty bad. Mainly due to Kefin's lack of research on the topics they cover.

I used to love the AE podcast but I dunno, every 5 minutes he seems to be making up stuff that happened or mis-remembering history and it annoys me. Maybe it's because OSW and New Gen Podcast both have tonnes of research in their pods but I really can't listen to AE/H2W anymore.

Just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

I don't listen to How 2, But I listen to all AE ones. I'm not sure which parts are wrong? Can't I recall while listening to recent AE any major mistakes? What are the ones you caught? The only thing that bugs me while listening is Kev plugging How 2 all the time.

thanks Brian! TNA is especially fun to research. A lot of the stuff I don't believe initially and need to check the PPV to see if it was true (like Russo convincing Traci to fake 'pass out' to work the wrestlers/crew) :P:P

• Advertisement

jaykhunter wrote: »
    thanks Brian! TNA is especially fun to research. A lot of the stuff I don't believe initially and need to check the PPV to see if it was true (like Russo convincing Traci to fake 'pass out' to work the wrestlers/crew) :P:P

Jay as someone who used to work in Radio in Ireland I'm delighted to see the success of you guys and your Patreon! The amount of research you (and Stewart from New Gen) do is fantastic, and adds loads to the show. Nothing more frustrating that driving along in the car/ walking on the street listening to something that's inaccurate and dying a little inside! Never happens with OSW/NGP. Kudos to you.

Cheers man! Which radio station? I volunteered at Dublin City FM for 2 years, gave me a bit of snobbery about audio, lol.

I was commercial manager for KCLR and also worked on air with Near FM years ago.

Snobbish is the right way to be about Irish radio..ha

brianblaze wrote: »
    I was commercial manager for KCLR and also worked on air with Near FM years ago.

That's awesome man. Any fun guests in, did ya get to meet any celebs whilst working?

Not really! Not exactly the biggest draw for celebs.

Sure aren't you one yourself now

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

If anyone wants to hear a car crash, check out the cringe inducing TIJ with Mike Tyson. Brutal.

Reebrock wrote: »
    If anyone wants to hear a car crash, check out the cringe inducing TIJ with Mike Tyson. Brutal.

How cringe we talking here ?

Not really! Not exactly the biggest draw for celebs. Sure aren't you one yourself now

Lol that's very kind! Popular like the milkman or something :p

Pat Mustard reference.... A lot of hairy babies at the OTT show recently....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Stopped listening about halfway through. Jericho needs to learn that, when a guest is shutting down, the word "why?" can be helpful. Like I wouldn't be too harsh on him since he's a wrestler/rockstar turned podcaster, but Tyson was willing to talk, he's just a guy you need to pry stories out of. He wasn't being rude or anything, he just isn't a natural storyteller so needs to be given context and opened up to expand, whereas Jericho just filled the silence by talking about himself. Tyson will just let you do that if you want.

• Advertisement

I won't believe it. Jericho talking about himself? Never.

Seriously though, Tyson feels like an inherently bad podcast guest. Whenever I see him speaking publicly - interviews, Bellator commentary, the WWE HoF - he speaks short and often unintelligible sentences and then starts laughing.

That's pretty much the gist of it there yeah. I listened to a couple episodes of his new podcast (with Cheap Heat host Peter Rosenberg) and immediately unsubscribed.

leggo wrote: »
    That's pretty much the gist of it there yeah. I listened to a couple episodes of his new podcast (with Cheap Heat host Peter Rosenberg) and immediately unsubscribed.

I can imagine why. Rosenberg is go away heat on his own at this point.

I like him tbh (even if his show has blatantly nicked really specific stuff from what we do with my own company before on multiple occasions) and it was him that sold me on the show: he's extremely good at what he does objectively, though I'd understand if people found him grating personality-wise. I just roll my eyes and get a laugh at it. He was much worse when Cheap Heat first started and he was trying to get recognition from WWE, now that he's got it he's actually mellowed a bit and seems to have the self-satisfaction he was looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Snobbish is the right way to be about Irish radio..ha

KCLR! The enemy to all of us at community radio kilkenny city!

leggo wrote: »
    I like him tbh (even if his show has blatantly nicked really specific stuff from what we do with my own company before on multiple occasions) and it was him that sold me on the show: he's extremely good at what he does objectively, though I'd understand if people found him grating personality-wise. I just roll my eyes and get a laugh at it. He was much worse when Cheap Heat first started and he was trying to get recognition from WWE, now that he's got it he's actually mellowed a bit and seems to have the self-satisfaction he was looking for.

I have only listened to Cheap Heat a couple times and I never had a strong feeling on him either way, it's more from Bring it to the Table that he's gotten on my nerves, so perhaps he's just better away from the WWE banner.

Cheap Heat is basically his WWE persona except not licking up to guys, encouraging his co-host to put his stuff over and trying not to sound like a shill while totally shilling...so you probably wouldn't like it if you don't like that :pac:. They can do some great stuff though, particularly if race comes up, and it's an easy listen that'll always get your brain working with hot takes (e.g. A few weeks back they did a 'Shawn Michaels is overrated' debate). They also get good guests and tend to be very good interviewers, different from the generic wrestler podcast stuff (which is all: I'm not going to disagree with you and try put everything you say over because this is promo and I'm hyper aware of that). I like it but I get why many don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

ricero wrote: »

How cringe we talking here ?
    Like, imagine Tyson having no clue who Jericho is, that's the real impression I got. At one point Jericho starts talking about their Raw interaction and Tyson said he "turned on Shawn Michaels" at the end, which wasn't the case obviously, he thinks Jericho is talking about Wrestlemania. It got so bad towards the end he was basically asking Mike what his favourite colour was, what he had for dinner etc (being facetious, but he might has well of).

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭SarahVOW

2nd annual Euro draft podcast. 5 guys who attend and watch an awful lot of European wrestling draft fantasy promotions based on thr active wrestlers in Europe today, 90 male 20 female. Loved this this year and last, its very nerdy. My type of podcast.

http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2017/08/07/britwres-roundtable-euro-draft-ii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Really good interview with Drew McIntyre on X-Pac show. I gotta him credit for reinventing himself on the indies.

Advertisement