Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Ruat Caelum

Reebrock wrote: »
    Like, imagine Tyson having no clue who Jericho is, that's the real impression I got. At one point Jericho starts talking about their Raw interaction and Tyson said he "turned on Shawn Michaels" at the end, which wasn't the case obviously, he thinks Jericho is talking about Wrestlemania. It got so bad towards the end he was basically asking Mike what his favourite colour was, what he had for dinner etc (being facetious, but he might has well of).

I thought Jericho got a few more words out of Tyson in the second half of the show, but it was a very painful interview to listen to. While I've never found Tyson the best to listen to, this was the first time I've ever thought he sounded punch drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Getting bored of Conrad's stuff now, the constant gay jokes and unneeded toilet humour is really embarrassing. He's a good interviewer at heart, just wish he'd give up trying to impress complete douchebags with that side of things. No need for it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,528 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So Justin Credible was a member of the Kliq I never new that one before.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

So Justin Credible was a member of the Kliq I never new that one before.

What! :P Like, vicariously through X-Pac & X-Factor?

jaykhunter wrote: »
    What! :P Like, vicariously through X-Pac & X-Factor?

No like an actual member.:eek:

• Advertisement

Apparently Louis Spicolli was too, but only so they could laugh at him when he was so messed up on goofballs, nice guys that they are.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Shouldn't there be various benefits if you were actually in the Kliq, like a job or appearances in WWE!

Aul Justin Credible's a bit worse for wear these days

wXNMhHj.jpg

https://youtu.be/UEuP7hymJhw?t=5m49s

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Shouldn't there be various benefits if you were actually in the Kliq, like a job or appearances in WWE!

Aul Justin Credible's a bit worse for wear these days

wXNMhHj.jpg

https://youtu.be/UEuP7hymJhw?t=5m49s

There should have been warning signs of those KFC buckets he was eating 4 times a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

I listen to the L.A.W review of Summerslam on the way into work Monday morning. They went on about Enzo and made it seem like he got no reaction and the crowd turned on him. I got home to watch the show myself to see that Enzo was well over (Yes he got lost in his promo) but nothing like what their review said his reaction was like. Always important, like all reviews, that it's just that person take on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭Monokne

I listen to the L.A.W review of Summerslam on the way into work Monday morning. They went on about Enzo and made it seem like he got no reaction and the crowd turned on him. I got home to watch the show myself to see that Enzo was well over (Yes he got lost in his promo) but nothing like what their review said his reaction was like. Always important, like all reviews, that it's just that person take on it.

Hate to be a contrarian, but I watched the show wearing a pair of cans so I didn't wake the rest of the house, and my sole memory of Enzo's promo was thinking "Jesus, he's so not over, the people are dead".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

Suppose it's best to watch and make up your mind. But they were chanting his name when he was getting out of the cage and were into him at the start. Again the promo was too long and to inside hip-hop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Is it safe to say that the love affair with the Bruce Prichard show is over?
    Has everyone finally tired of the catchphrases and Conrad trying to get himself over?
    They don't mention their numbers like they used to, so the downloads must be down.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Personally I still give it a listen if the topic is to my interest. Never really minded them having a laugh and joke with themselves as much as others, even if they aren't that funny half of the time, I'd rather them inject personality to it and have fun with it than not, otherwise you may as well just read the Wikipedia page of whatever event they're talking about.

sirmanga wrote: »
    Is it safe to say that the love affair with the Bruce Prichard show is over?
    Has everyone finally tired of the catchphrases and Conrad trying to get himself over?
    They don't mention their numbers like they used to, so the downloads must be down.

They won the Sports podcast of the year at the Podcast Movement convention this week amongst some pretty stiff competition - pic below of the other candidates - and the guys do still discuss their numbers on their message board and social media, so I suspect they are doing just fine.

The novelty has worn off and I think the popularity has peaked and levelled off somewhat though. As Leggo said, when you have a show that is that long you're going to burn out your audience somewhat and I think that's why it's no longer the 'hot' thing.

DH-DMYSVYAAVTYc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I think with Bruce working at tna and all the live shows it's been waning as they don't seem as intused about the show even the picks of choices haven't been to great

He only works at TNA for 2 days every few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Another factor that has perhaps played into the shine wearing off is that it's always been a bit of a cynical cash grab, with the excessive advertising, Bruce getting a GFW gig out of it, merchandising every half baked idea that comes out of their head...and that's fine. Fans can live with that as long as the content is backing it up (e.g. Jericho used to get **** for his ads, but now nobody cares as he has perhaps the widest variety of guests with the best interviews today and is miles ahead of the field there), but if there's a dip then people have no particular loyalty to you as you've established early on that those people are a means to an end and that money is your priority. When you're in a position like that, your currency is either 'the people' or 'the money'. The latter can work as long as you have content, but if your priority is "I'd like this to last a long time and am willing to take a little less to do so", then you really need to choose the former. In this case I genuinely don't think they saw it working out as well as it did for as long as it did, so they went in with a short-term mindset and now are starting to be on the other side of that.

Then, yeah, the amount of time they ask of people every week, Bruce sacrificing the truth to settle old scores, some of the week's completely missing (which, again, you're asking me to give you 3 hours of my life for a bad show because why? You were tired and didn't feel like chatting?! This is what you do now, come on!) etc, that's all just as relevant too.

Still, it's cheap and easy to produce so I'd imagine they'll keep at it and, when you build an audience as large as they did at their peak, they'll likely have enough of a core audience to keep them going for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

That damn ad about mesothelioma played a dozen times each podcast melts my head now

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Full Marx wrote: »
    That damn ad about mesothelioma played a dozen times each podcast melts my head now

Do you not just fast forward the ads, thats what I do.

I've been enjoying Schiavone's podcast I just wish Conrad would give up all the crude sh1t and just stick to asking the questions.

Moving polls and the like to Facebook to data mine they can fcuk right off with that sh1te as well.

• Advertisement

That they are open and honest with their desire to maximise revenue is not something I would criticise as I don't know anyone who doesn't do the same in whatever their field is, but look, we hear people criticising footballers for wanting to earn 200k a week instead of 100k a week every day as though 95% of the population wouldn't do the exact same thing, so I understand that for some people, that overt and in your face style is crass or a turn off. Bruce in general has that very right wing, Vince/Trump in your face nature which can be abrasive.

I can't understand the frustration with ads on podcasts. Do people not just hit the skip button on whatever player they're using? Every time I hear Jericho's tone completely change and he says "well lets talk about that..." or I hear Bruce/Conrad use one of their dreadfully awkward segue's I just hit the button and skip 2 minutes.

The only exception was on Ric Flairs show because Ric is entertaining in everything he does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Still love listening to bruce and conrad but last weeks razor roman episode was by far their worst offering so far

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Monokne wrote: »
    That they are open and honest with their desire to maximise revenue is not something I would criticise as I don't know anyone who doesn't do the same in whatever their field is, but look, we hear people criticising footballers for wanting to earn 200k a week instead of 100k a week every day as though 95% of the population wouldn't do the exact same thing, so I understand that for some people, that overt and in your face style is crass or a turn off. Bruce in general has that very right wing, Vince/Trump in your face nature which can be abrasive.

I can't understand the frustration with ads on podcasts. Do people not just hit the skip button on whatever player they're using? Every time I hear Jericho's tone completely change and he says "well lets talk about that..." or I hear Bruce/Conrad use one of their dreadfully awkward segue's I just hit the button and skip 2 minutes.

The only exception was on Ric Flairs show because Ric is entertaining in everything he does.

This!

Though I do admire how Jericho shoehorns an ad segway in.

" Hey Bray you love growing a beard, so you should 100 percent invest in the dollar shave club" or "Well Bob Holly, you loved cars as Sparky Plugg, so lets talk about Uber!"

ricero wrote: »
    Still love listening to bruce and conrad but last weeks razor roman episode was by far their worst offering so far

I thought they hit a real lull with the nWo episode, Cena, Heyman and Punk. Punk especially. That was one where Conrad had info on every match Punk ever had in WWE and it was tedious. They really buried Heyman too which I didn't enjoy.

I thought the Razor episode was on the other end of the scale though. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The details of Vince's relationship with him, the Douglas stories, how he hated working with Goldust, etc.

I started watching wrestling in 1992 and I always think that creates a bias towards episodes which focus on my early days as a childhood wrestling fan (so like 92 - 97, when I was 8 -13). For example I am DYING for a KOTR 1995 show. It was just such a dumpster fire. Suspect I am the only one.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    This!

Though I do admire how Jericho shoehorns an ad segway in.

" Hey Bray you love growing a beard, so you should 100 percent invest in the dollar shave club" or "Well Bob Holly, you loved cars as Sparky Plugg, so lets talk about Uber!"

The best was the Breezango episode where all three were poorly mic'd and you could barely hear Jericho, then all of a sudden he's doing his ads back in the studio sounding clear as day, before being transported back to the forest with Dango and Breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Monokne wrote: »
    I thought they hit a real lull with the nWo episode, Cena, Heyman and Punk. Punk especially. That was one where Conrad had info on every match Punk ever had in WWE and it was tedious. They really buried Heyman too which I didn't enjoy.

I thought the Razor episode was on the other end of the scale though. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The details of Vince's relationship with him, the Douglas stories, how he hated working with Goldust, etc.

I started watching wrestling in 1992 and I always think that creates a bias towards episodes which focus on my early days as a childhood wrestling fan (so like 92 - 97, when I was 8 -13). For example I am DYING for a KOTR 1995 show. It was just such a dumpster fire. Suspect I am the only one.

It is a nostalgia podcast after all. Like you I love the 90s stuff. 1995 in general was a bit of a disaster unless Bret or Shawn had good matches!

This week's Prichard pod covers Summerslam 2002 which is probably the best Summerslam so it's surely interesting to me. I fast forward the ads and roll my eyes at Bruce's nonsense like if he covers for bad decisions or his Dave Meltzer rants

I love Bruce's criticism of Meltzer. Meltzer is a complete dweeb. I mean, he gives six stars or more for matches now. Good grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

That is what I like about X-Pac Afterbuzz show is that there is never any ads or shills during his guest interviews.

I love Bruce's criticism of Meltzer. Meltzer is a complete dweeb. I mean, he gives six stars or more for matches now. Good grief.

I understand Dave's stance on 6 star matches. Some matches are far above what were 5 stars in the past. Only 2 so far though.

• Advertisement

I understand Dave's stance on 6 star matches. Some matches are far above what were 5 stars in the past. Only 2 so far though.
    None of the matches this year are better than Bret and Austin at Mania 13. Doesn't matter how many flips and no sell big moves matches have now. It should be about story, character, and outcome.
    Meltzer goes on about 2017 being the best ever year in the ring. Oh spare me.
    Piledrivers from the top rope and then kicking out! 3 finishers to beat someone. Meltzer has such a hard on for Japanese wrestling that he freely admits to preferring the Japanese announcers. Give me a break!

Advertisement