Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

He's a fan and favours the style he likes. He's allowed do what he wants with his ratings. I don't agree with many of his ratings (fun as it was we won't be talking about Naito/Omega in years to come, and you're telling me it's a full 20% better match than HBK/Taker?!) but that's the nature of opinion pieces: to set the agenda so people can consume and discuss it among themselves. It's the people that take it seriously, like his opinion is gospel, that makes the whole thing farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭Monokne

There are two notes to make re: Dave's ratings -

Firstly, the 6 star rating got massive pub for the Observer and had it mentioned on both NJPW world and NJPW on AXS. So doing it again is just good business for Dave. He knows the business he's in and how to capitalize on it. He may play it straight bat but he's a worker.

Secondly, I think had he just rated the one match ******, it would have been comedic but ultimately you could argue it was just a one off expression of how he loved a match. The manner in which he's now stuck to it and is rating everything differently is just silly though. He's saying 4 matches this year alone are better than any other wrestling match in the entire history of the business.

Given his reputation in the industry, rightly or wrongly people did put stock in Dave's opinions and it is certainly amusing that he's stuck to a rigid scale of rating matches up to 5 stars for about 30 years only to reveal that in fact there is no limit. Imagine Roger Ebert having used his 1 - 4* scale just randomly rating his favourite actors movies over 4 stars for a year or two.

Will agree that anyone who'd take his ratings seriously at this point is just asking for it. I reckon the Tokyo dome will feature a 7.16 star classic between Omega and Ibush, narrowly topped by a 7.37 star Okada-Naito classic. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

Meltzer talks sense at times and ****e at times also.

His 6 stars rating is up to him. Its only his opinion yet some people take his word as gospel and regurgitate it as so.

At the end of the day if he gives a match 3* or 27* it doesn't matter. If its a 5* match to you that's all that counts.
    Japanese wrestling is not light years ahead of US wrestling either. I see a similar standard in both that I have watched when you average it out.

I love Japanese wrestling, I'm going to Tokyo Dome in January and blowing all my spare income on it sure, but to me you're more likely to have an all-timer working WWE style than Japanese style. By that I mean one which you invest in the outcome and care deeply (like the result will bother you for a few hours if it doesn't go your way), where you're following every stage of the story, processing and feeling it as it all happens and then reacting to the maximum level at the false finishes and finish exactly as they want you to.

Japanese wrestling is like Burger King or Dominos compared to an expensive, well-cooked steak. That's not a criticism, I'd eat the former way more than I'd eat the latter. A lot of the pops are based around the instant gratification of the physical impressiveness or sickness of the spot. I enjoy that as much as anyone but, for me, you shouldn't NEED it to get a spot over. If you wouldn't get the same pop with a safer move, it's a minor flaw for me. So I'd mark Naito/Omega down somewhat for that, even though I respect the athleticism and commitment involved.

If you say there are no stories, you don't watch enough Japanese wrestling, but having said that quite often the stories can be quite complex and niche and aren't instantly apparent as you're watching and processing, like you'd read on Twitter ten minutes after a spot what it meant in the grand scheme because it relates to something that happened six months ago on a house show. Again that's not a criticism, I like that aspect and wouldn't change it if I could, but wrestling is a live performance and, for me, it's at its best when all of the audience are engaged and know exactly what's going on and react together in unison. It's kinda like when a comic tells a joke that is really clever and technically hilarious but only a portion of the audience gets it. For me if you watch Japanese wrestling you'll get **** matches aplenty, whereas you're more likely to get a ***** in WWE (I don't use or think in terms of stars personally - it's art after all - but it's a handy metric, you all get what I mean).

But that's all just me. I could totally see how someone feels the other way. I'm big and bold enough to think for myself so if someone says something they like is better than something I like, so what? It doesn't take away from me liking it any less!

Good point, well written.

One aspect that both adds to and simultaneously takes away from my enjoyment of Japanese wrestling is the physical nature. Some of the high impact strikes are uncomfortable and while it can bring you into the match more, I feel like the longer I am a wrestling fan, the more I value stuff that looks like it hurts but there's enough room for it to be faked. Things that are so clearly brutal, like the incident with Shibata, put me off. Sure it helps suspend your disbelief, but then I quickly feel turned off to what I'm watching.

• Advertisement

There's definitely a line to strong style, and for as good a match as Shibata/Okada was, the end result clearly shows it. Stuff like forearms and chops laid in are one thing, but slapping/palm striking, punching and headbutting people full force is excessive for me* and will get docked marks. Again, it's one of those things that if you need to resort to that, it's a flaw in how you're working. WWE did their equivalent of the 'strong style'/two lads come at each other with punches back and forth spot for years (though I haven't seen them do it in a while). Is it not more skilful to do it without risking hurting someone? That's where I'd fall personally...though if others valued the toughness and realism that comes with laying in strikes, they're entitled to.

*I say that but when it happens I'll watch with the same morbid fascination as anyone else.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I just finished the Jericho podcast when he's talking Conspiracy Theories with Bo Dallas... jeeze Bo Dallas certainly is out there with some of the stuff he believes in.

Like don't get me wrong I love a good conspiracy theory myself but I draw the line with Reptile People, Hollow Earth, A race of 9 foot tall Giants who used to feed on humans and an UFO attack on LA where all footage of it was destroyed as a cover up.

And Bray is into all this stuff too... I think they've been following the buzzards for too long.

Loughc wrote: »
    I just finished the Jericho podcast when he's talking Conspiracy Theories with Bo Dallas... jeeze Bo Dallas certainly is out there with some of the stuff he BO-lieves in.

Like don't get me wrong I love a good conspiracy theory myself but I draw the line with Reptile People, Hollow Earth, A race of 9 foot tall Giants who used to feed on humans and an UFO attack on LA where all footage of it was destroyed as a cover up.

And Bray is into all this stuff too... I think they've been following the buzzards for too long.

I fixed your post for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Just had a vision that I need to see become reality, so JayKhunter, make it so...

I need a NewLegacy Inc / OSW Crossover show/ Livestream...

Get on it Jay, do it for the People, do it for... The Rock

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

Watched a few clips of What happened when with Tony Schiavone via people putting it up on Youtube. Downloaded the one about WCW Mayhem, enjoying it so far.

• Advertisement

Watched a few clips of What happened when with Tony Schiavone via people putting it up on Youtube. Downloaded the one about WCW Mayhem, enjoying it so far.

The better shows are the older ones. Tony was less engaged in the later WCW years, so late 80's - early/mid 90s' he tends to have clearer memories and better stories of.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

I've listened to Colt Cabana's Podcast since the start but having listened to the first few mins of his most recent upload from a live show he did in Australia I had to switch off, shouting **** in front of a 6 year old and bringing up Rolf Harris is in very poor taste and disgusting, dude's just not funny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I think he is alright, it is just the fact that the quality of guests on his show went downhill after CM Punk episode.

I gotta give him credit for podcasting before it became cool or easy cash grab for many.

He's a real engaging, likeable host but I hate when he tries to be a 'comedy guy'. Like his gags are essentially just banter and the written stuff comes across as written. That's fine, it's not what he does, but do a Ziggler and work on the comedy on the side instead of putting it out there before while his act is half-cooked. If I was him I'd be aiming to be a full-fledged stand-up act to replace wrestling as his sole income by the time his career is over, so for now he should just be working the small comedy clubs in his spare time honing his stuff. The way he's going about it, getting on the festivals as a niche act then putting out a comedy show that isn't anywhere near the level of your peers, but getting by because he's already got a fanbase, it's not the way people make it big in that field.

This week's Something to Wrestle with may be worth a listen for the folk put off by the ad's. It's a best of show, ad free, promoting the various ways in which you can contribute to the ongoing recovery efforts in Houston. Some cracking stories on there.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I gotta give him credit for podcasting before it became cool or easy cash grab for many.

I felt bad for Cabana as when he was doing it, podcasts was more of an indie wrestler/writer/outsider thing to get more attention, then it became stuffed with "Superstar podcasts" and I felt he got less coverage. Who knows, I might be talking out of my arse. It is cool to see people behind the scenes open up and give us more backstage of what went down.

Monokne wrote: »
    This week's Something to Wrestle with may be worth a listen for the folk put off by the ad's. It's a best of show, ad free, promoting the various ways in which you can contribute to the ongoing recovery efforts in Houston. Some cracking stories on there.

Can't listen to it. Same as the Stone Cold podcast, just can't listen to someone who's been done for domestic abuse..I've heard it's great but that bloke Conrad is getting zero listens from me

• Registered Users Posts: 39,801 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

brianblaze wrote: »

Can't listen to it. Same as the Stone Cold podcast, just can't listen to someone who's been done for domestic abuse..I've heard it's great but that bloke Conrad is getting zero listens from me
    Who has been charged with domestic abuse on the something to wrestle with podcast ?

Not Bruce

brianblaze wrote: »
    Not Bruce

So Conrad then ? Jaysus that's suprising.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So Conrad then ? Jaysus that's suprising.

Yeah, dude did prison-time a while ago for domestic assault so he has real trouble travelling outside the states (hence him not being on Bruce's recent talking tour)

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Yeah, dude did prison-time a while ago for domestic assault so he has real trouble travelling outside the states (hence him not being on Bruce's recent talking tour)
    Didn't know that.... Fat prick

Full Marx wrote: »
    Didn't know that.... Fat prick

His weight seems very relevant to the situation.

:confused:

jaykhunter wrote: »

Well now.

I think thats just a rumour. Unless Jay has seen or wants to share a link about this conviction and prison time?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,528 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

One thing for sure is he does come across as a very sleazy man who doesn't have much respect for women.

That is one of the most off putting things from his hosting of podcasts for me.

Yeah that can be awkward. Jim Ross' podcasts with some of the women are downright creepy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

I think thats just a rumour. Unless Jay has seen or wants to share a link about this conviction and prison time?
    https://bailbondcity.com/alabama/madison-inmate-THOMPSON/MCSO14JBN001301

I've seen the mugshot before. It's from February of 2014. A quick skim through his twitter pics would tell you he has not been in prison since then, hence why I was wondering where the rumour of him being convicted and serving prison time came from. Any idea?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Yeah he comes across very insecure about women in general, homophobic too. Wish he'd cut that crap out, no need for it in a wrestling podcast.

Advertisement