Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Register a web address

• 24-04-2011 6:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Apologies if I'm in the wrong forum

I want to register a web address but am bewildered by the range of options when I google.

For example! Who is reputable?

There are offers of about €10 p.a. per domain. But I need to be sure that I own the address. The name that I want is available in all domains.

I know that there is an established registry for .ie but I am not sure about the others.

If I register with one of many sites that show up when I google how secure is my right to the name?

Advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

I register domains all of the time and use blacknight, based in Carlow.

They are reliable, very well priced and the support is excellent.

http://www.blacknight.com/domains.html

You could probably find cheaper out there but not by much and like I said the service is fantastic compared to some registrars I have dealt with.

If you are planning on registering a .ie domain you need to have a valid claim for that domain name such as a registered business name (go to www.cro.ie for details on that), so if your company is called Acme Ltd. you would not be able to register a domain such as cocacola .ie, but you could register acme.ie, acme-cola.ie etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

Thank you hearney.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 study68

i recommend go with blacknight or godaddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 ElectricGirl

From personal experience when I went to setup my first address I went with register365 and found them very unhelpful for newbies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Where are you planning on hosting your website? For ease of use it is probably best for a beginner to have hosting and domain registration in the same place.
    Also, many hosts will offer a free domain with new hosting accounts - some offer more than 1, many will also include adwords credit also.
    Go with one of the Irish hosts - hostingireland, or blacknight.
    Register your .ie domain through them also - it should cost you 20 or 30 euro + Vat, whereas if you go direct to the iedr it will cost you 80euro + vat.
    Do not use godaddy, renewal prices jump way up and their upsell system is outrageous.
    Good luck op

• Advertisement
Advertisement