Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nape Piercing...?

Options
  • 24-04-2011 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭

I've wanted to get it done for years and the girlfriend is getting her Tragis pierced tomorrow so I said I'm going to take the plunge! I'm going to sound like a big pansy here but does it hurt? It seems like a fairly meaty area and the bar looks bloody big! Also where would ye recommend in Dublin to get it done? I heard recently that Snakebite closed (don't know if this is true though) so I was thinking maybe Celestial Ring in Stephens green?

If anyone has any advice on either of the piercings it'd be great!

I'm gonna regret this thread, no going back now :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 GreenFaery

Look up bme.com

People have written about their experiences with tatts/piercings. There might be something written about this piercing. Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

JOSman wrote: »
    Why?

Because I want to. Thanks for the helpful reply though

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

Don't have this done, but Snakebite did not close, and they're brilliant, so I'd recommend to go to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

I had my tragus done (Nov 2010) and nape done (May 2010) in Snakebite, and a VCH done by Steve just last week, so they're definitely still open & excellent! I've had a few done piercings by both Rob and Steve, and they're both total gents who really know their stuff and will put you at ease before you go anywhere near the needles. Don't be afraid to ask them any question, no matter how ridiculous you might think it seems. They have really thorough aftercare; you can ring / call in anytime for a check up free of charge, and any time I've had to change my jewellery (for smaller bars after initial swelling went down) there was no charge.

Tragus - I didn't find it painful at all. It felt a bit funny to have someone tugging on that little bit of my ear, and then there was a crunchy noise, and then it was all over! Was fairly hassle-free to heal, some regular salt soaking & soaping, not too much work involved. The tragus will swell (not really obviously or anything) when it's pierced, and will return to normal size after a couple of weeks - think I was told about 3 months, but mine is very slow to go down & I still haven't changed for a shorter bar. (You'll probably get a slightly long bar to start to accommodate the swelling, and when you go back for a check up they'll put in a shorter bar once the tragus has returned to its normal size.)

Nape - I didn't find this very painful, but I think I may have a fairly high pain threshold! The needle-in-needle-out part is quite quick actually, I'd guess it took less than 5 seconds from the initial puncture to the final exit. I could be mistaken in that, but that's all it felt like to me / all I can remember. The needle coming back out is a bit odder feeling than the needle going in. Guesstimate of the size of the bar in my neck is maybe 2cm; possibly they'll suggest something slightly different depending on your size & the curve of your neck. The bar is bent slightly in the middle so it goes neatly under the curve of my neck. It's not that deep under the skin, so I wouldn't think it's a very meaty piercing! There was a fair bit of salt soaking & regular soaping with this, but now that it's healed, it's no trouble. I do still do the odd soap so it won't get crusty but it seems like very little work for lots of reward.

Hope this helps! If you want to ask anything else, and I can help (not an expert by any means, but I've been through both & survived), fire ahead!

• Advertisement

Awesome thanks! I think you've just made my mind up for me! It'll be my second piercing ever (got eyebrow done about 6 years ago, didn't keep it long).

I'll stick up a pic tomorrow so...as long as I don't whimp out :o

Jobs done :D

Here's mine...

Nape-1.jpg

And the girlfriends...

photo-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

Looking awesome! :) Where'd ya go in the end?

Thanks! Snakebite was closed (because of the Bank Hol!) so I went over to Celestial Ring in Stephens Green. Really happy with it! I looking forward to being able to have a smaller bar in it though but it'll be worth it if I just wait it out

• Advertisement

looks great! Nothing like the buzz of a fresh piercing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭alan89

What was it like getting it done? Been waiting to get mine done for a while now....

alan89 wrote: »
    What was it like getting it done? Been waiting to get mine done for a while now....
    Hard to explain, two pretty bad pinches with the needle, I found the bar being put in the worst part but TBH it really aint bad at all. I know that was a fairly useless reply but it's had to describe the feeling! It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be so don't let the pain part of it turn you off

Hard to explain, two pretty bad pinches with the needle, I found the bar being put in the worst part but TBH it really aint bad at all. I know that was a fairly useless reply but it's had to describe the feeling! It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be so don't let the pain part of it turn you off

+1, don't let the thought of the pain put you off. It's really not that sore (in my opinion!)

When I got mine done, I didn't find it at all sore getting the bar put in, but could be that with the adrenaline rush of the needle bit being over I didn't feel it. My nape bar is like a titanium staple, with a slight bend in the middle (like a very flattened W), so maybe other jewellery feels less comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭loconnor1001

Looks great, I've had mine for about 5 years now, I didn't find it painful at all, the Tragus and Rook were a million times worse. And as you are a boy and I am a girl Im sure you are not interested in the sparkly jewels I have on mine, but I must say it looks awesome, and aside form the slight drainage from time to time (due to my own laziness from not cleaning it enough) it hasn't given me any problems at all! :P

It must vary from person to person. My girlfriend thought her bellybutton wasn't sore but the Tragus was, the piercer said her Tragus wasn't sore at all but bellybutton was!

I'm loving mine so far though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 chintickles

Got my Nape pierced on Thursday and i love it didn't find it painful at all, y ears were worse! But i'm just wondering does anyone know how long i can leave it in for? I got it done while visiting my friend in Holland and he told me 9 months max? Is this right?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭loconnor1001

I've had mine 5 years I don't know why someone would tell you 9 months max unless they didn't use the proper type of bar which is all too common, then yes you'll be lucky if it lasts 9 months.

The tragus didn't actually hurt to have it done, I didn't think any of them did...it's the after math that kills! No pain with the nape, but when I had the tragus and rook done my whole face hurt for week after!

I've had mine (nape piercing) for about a year now and there's no sign of it coming out. When I got pierced I was told it could take up to 9 months to fully heal. Maybe that's what your piercer meant? I had to do fairly regular soaking & soaping until 9 months, just do the odd soap now so it won't get crusty. Totally worth it though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I've had my nape done for about 18 months, and its still going strong! Got mine done in Snakebite. The odd time if I sleep funny it will gett a bit weepy and sore, but a few soaks sorts that out. One of my very favourite piercings, would recommend it to anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

mine was nice for a while, then it started to reject, nothing could save it, it got disgusting looking, my mam made me take it out :( now I have a horrible scar

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Talula_d

I got mine done two weeks ago and its healing well. In my opinion, it didnt hurt more of a strange feeling...after it was done I described it as how I think a flower feels when its put into those oasis sponge things!! My piercer said its the first time its been described lke that!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

I loved my nape piercing but sadly the bar that was put in was too big for the hole that was made so a pressure bump built up on one side. It ended up looking pretty nasty so I had to take it out, still have a little bump where it used to be.

I got it done in Celestial ring, but I've had other piercings there and had no complaints.

Advertisement