Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SAKO TRG

Options
  • 24-04-2011 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

well lads looking for some info on a trg. Are they any good? what price can i expect to pay? Where can they be got?

thanks AccuTip

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

they look the bees knees but im not sure on performance,atlantic sports in carlow has some im not sure on price i think duffys in galways has them up on his website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

dCorbus on here has one and seems to be doing well with it

If I was buying a .308 it's what I'd buy ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

They are a great rifle. Come in either the black stock with standard barrel or green stock and phophated barrel. The stock os comfortable and practical with adjustable cheek piece, and butt pad. The barrel is a 26" 1:12/1:11 and they come pre threaded for muzzle break or moderator. It has a 10 round removal mag and tri lug bolt system.

The rifle has a a host of accessories such as mirage band, iron/open sights. The trigger is adjustable for length, right/left handed shooter, weight and play. Also the stock breaks down in 2 parts meaning you can work on the mechanism without having to strip the entire rifle.

For performance they are excellent. They prefer 150 - 160gr rounds. They can easily shoot out, quite accurately, to 1,000 yards, and are one of the few, if only, cross over rifles in that you can use them for target work, but they are not so heavy that carrying one for a few hours out stalking would be a problem. All in with scope and rings, bipod, etc you are loking at 14lb-ish.

Only draw back is price. They are matched in substance with a high price tag of approx. €2700 for the black stock version and closer to €3500 for the green version. Parts from Sako are slow in coming and expensive however there are many "aftermarket" accessories that come in much cheaper. For example the Sako bipod (swivel) is around €400. The Harris does the exact same job (even a little better) for €120 or so.

Ardee sports are the main importer and agent for Sako, and a few dealers have them in stock. Mostly .308 cal. Sean in Stakelums has a black version un .308 in Thurles.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

AccuTip wrote: »
    well lads looking for some info on a trg. Are they any good? what price can i expect to pay? Where can they be got?

thanks AccuTip

I have one and really like it.
    Stock is very comfortable to use, it has a great 2 stage trigger and is very accurate.
    What type of shooting are you planning to use it for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 AccuTip

thanks for all the replies lads. really really considering getting one.
    zeissman i am going to take up target shooting in the near future but i also want it for stalking

• Advertisement

AccuTip wrote: »
    thanks for all the replies lads. really really considering getting one.
    zeissman i am going to take up target shooting in the near future but i also want it for stalking

I did take mine stalking a few times and got on fine with it.
    I wouldnt take it hill stalking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 AccuTip

i was just looking at it on shoot.ie, personally i would like a green trg, but going by duffys prices i think i may have to look for a second hand one:o.
    oh and then theres the price of a desent scope to:o

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭meathshooter1

Had one great rifle,but for the money you could get a custom made rifle for the same money.have seen a few second hand ones about.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Xplor.er

Had one great rifle,but for the money you could get a custom made rifle for the same money.have seen a few second hand ones about.

what kind of price would you pay for a s/h one? they really look the part

sold mine for 3700 it was a green one with muzzel brake ,t8 mod,S&B 5x25x56 pmII,34 mm mounts, sako bipod,seen a black one a while ago for 2000,ring around there are a few about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Great rifle.
    Love mine to bits.
    Get a green one though (Don't know why or what the actual differences are, all I know is the green ones tend to shoot better than the black ones - I think the black was more of a prototype. And AFAI can tell, the green stock is a tad more solid and a bit heavier. If anyone actually knows for a fact what the physical differences are, I'd love to know)

Well worth the money IMO. If you can get a good second-hand one at the right price, go for it!

And yes, with a bit of work on the part of the shooter, they are well capable of shooting out to 1000yds - You may not beat the custom guns all the time, but on occasion and certainly at 500, 600, 800, and 900 yards you'll hold your own (with a bit of hard work!)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭cork shooter

i have the rifle mentioned by meathshooter above. great rifle, super trigger,smooth action and very accutate. to heavy for stalking i would say. have shot a couple of deer with it but not an ideal deer rifle. spend big on your optics to get the best out of it.sako extras are very expensive. check out the prices on line and be ready for a shock . butt spacers or a replacement mag cost a small fortune and are not easy to get hold of, unless you are willing to pay huge carrier costs for gun parts.

Just a bit more info about the various TRG accessories:

- Bipod:

Don't bother with the Sako TRG bipod. Whilst it is apparently quite good, there is no way it can justify the price. Set yourself up initially with a decent Harris (swivel) and that will be more than adequate. The Sako TRG bipod is about $450 - 500 in the US - God only knows how much it would set you back here, but I'd assume about the same in Euro, i.e. €450-500. Roedale also do a TRG-derived bipod, which looks pretty tasty, but at €385 it's a bit on the expensive side for what is essentially a beefed-up and better-engineered version of what the Harris-style bipods will do. You'll get a brand new Harris for about €120 - 130. So I could never justify spending the extra €250+ for what is pretty much the same bit of kit!

For shooting the TRG in the field or target shooting up to a certain distance and level of competition, the Harris is more than adequate to most peoples needs.

If and when you ever get into prone target shooting (FTR or similar), you'd be probably eventually upgrading from the Harris anyway if you found you wanted to compete at the higher levels nationally and internationally. Some good bipod upgrades for the TRG (and other similar rifles) would be the FitoForce BigFoot (about €160 excl. Shipping), the Sinclair F-Class Bipod ($200 excl. Shipping), and for a more expensive (but exceptionally lighter) option, there's the tasty John Weil CenShot carbon-fibre bipod (From $450 excl. Shipping) - Which is still cheaper than the Sako TRG own-brand bipod!!

- Butt Spacers:

Not sure anyone needs these unless you have an exceptionally long length-of-pull as the butt set-up is pretty adjustable without adding any butt-spacers, so unless you have very very long arms, I'd be surprised if you'll ever need to buy the Sako TRG own-brand spacers. I can't remember ever seeing anyone shooting a TRG who has needed these spacers - but I may be wrong on that and am happy to stand corrected on that.

- Cheek Piece Spacers:

Again, you can make up a spacer for the cheek piece with a handy bit of timber, some sandpaper, and a bit of time on your hands. This is only a yoke which fits between the riser and the stock and there is no need to be wasting money on the overpriced TRG spacers!

- Replacement Magazines:

The rifle comes with a 10-round steel detachable magazine. Why anyone would need two magazines either on the range or in the field, I don't know. If you're hunting, 10 rounds should be more than enough for a good day out. If you're on the range, unless you're made of money, you won't be horsing the rounds down range needing a mag-change halfway through a detail. If you're shooting in F-Class, you won't be using the magazine anyway. If you're shooting in a Hunting rifle competition (e.g. STAGS or similar), you'll have time to reload.

However, if you did loose your magazine or just wanted to have a spare, AFAIK the Sportsmans Gun Centre in the UK has them for around the UK£130 mark (excl. Shipping).

- Muzzle Brake:

Again, any second-hand TRG will probably have this as part of the kit. If not, not to worry:
    a/ You'll probably never need to use the muzzle brake TBH,
    b/ The TRG is a .308 which weighs-in, with a harris bipod and nightforce scopes, at around the 14.5 lb mark, so you really won't need a muzzle brake IMvHO,
    c/ If you want to shoot F-Class FTR, you can't use the muzzle brake anyway.

Handy for those follow-up shots, I hear you say? Again, this is a 14.5lb beast, so, trust me, it's not really going to move that much (TBH the Harris will make her jump like f**k, but with a steady grip and a good push forward into the ground, you'll stay on target).

- Picatinny or MOA rail

I've said this before, and I'll say it again, the only choice for this is a Richard Near rail. Accept no others!:D

Oh, and I 125% agree about the glass: the TRG is a great rifle - Make sure you get the best optics you can with the highest mag you can afford. The gun can and will shoot out to 1000 yds - You'll need good glass for that! And no point in letting the rifle down with sticking some rubbish on top. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

Just a quick one... How many rounds would it's take to burn out a barrel on a TRG just asking as I've bought a TRG in green second hand and looks good and I've yet to shoot it, it has less than 500 hundred rounds tru it I was told just trying work out a life span for it.

They're good for an absolute minimum of 3,500. Should do 5,000 without any loss of performance. I've read of a guy in Norway. He has a .308 and a .338 and he reckons he has shot 7,000+ through the .308.

I would imagine you will be trading the rifle well before the barrel burns out.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Has anyone ever put a custom barrel on a trg and if so did it shoot any better ?

Any minute now ................................ dCorbus will be along ..............................

............................. give him a minute...........................

and here he is.......

to answer the question, yes and yes.
    Plus ask the man who took bronze in the Nationals.

At least Two Fergal White re-barrelled TRG's in the top 8.

dCorbus wrote: »
    and here he is.......

to answer the question, yes and yes.
    Plus ask the man who took bronze in the Nationals.

At least Two Fergal White re-barrelled TRG's in the top 8.

Any details on barrel make, length, twist rate. I would also like to know did you get a heavier barrel than the original one.

They are 1:13, 30", Truflite, medium profile, Palma barrels.

As for the weight. The barrel seems no heavier than the TRG (inch per inch) however with an extra 4" of barrel (new one 30", old TRG barrel 26") it will obviously be a little heavier.

• Advertisement

My new barrel is a 1:12 32'' TrueFlite Medium Palma, fitted by Fergal White.

A heavier contour, combined with the Nightforce NXS, would have put me over the weight limit - so it was either get a new scope, or take a drill/dremel to the stock, or get the medium palma contour.

Overall weight previously was about 14.5 lb's - New weight is a smidge under 18 lbs (depending on which weighing scale you use!:eek:). That's with the BigFoot bipod, the Nightforce 12-42 NXS, and the new 32'' barrel.

The gun is now in or around 17.95 lbs - The ICFRA F/TR weight limit is 8.25kg (18.188 lbs), so I've a smidge of a quarter pound to spare, which it's wisest to have to allow for weighing-in discrepancies.

I'm still only running her in fully, but she's shooting nice and flat across the waterline and the groups are tightening up nicely.

Thanks for the info lads.
    I probably will rebarrel my trg whenever its needed.
    I was thinking a 1/12 twist would be best for 155 to 190 grain bullets.

zeissman wrote: »
    Thanks for the info lads.
    I probably will rebarrel my trg whenever its needed.
    I was thinking a 1/12 twist would be best for 155 to 190 grain bullets.

168 grain used to shoot great in my TRG found them the best imo

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭cork shooter

have to agree with comments on sako bipod.its over priced, very heavy and will rattle when fitted to rifle making them a pain when being carried.it will also scratch everything it comes into contact with as it has no rubber feet on it.having said all that it does look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭50cal

168 grain used to shoot great in my TRG found them the best imo

Same here 168gr sako rounds were like a laser in my Trg.

And when they were not available I used lapua scenar 168's- they were great aswell but the 155 scenars were useless?!?

Advertisement