Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiring a boat on Lough Corrib/Lough Mask for a day

Options
  • 24-04-2011 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I'm just wondering does anyone know can "anyone" hire a boat for either Lough Mask or Lough Corrib? Just for a day for 2/3 people for the purpose of fishing...and also what would it cost? Or even if you could direct me to someone who may know more information...would really like to get out on one of them before May 17th as Im off to America then....

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

I think there are boats for hire out the Glann Road from Oughterard. I've only seen signs there while driving, haven't actually hired one, so I don't know about price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Corrib Princess

<advertising removed. Signing up to boards to promote a business isn't ok.>

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Corrib Princess, signing up to boards to promote your business isn't allowed. PM me if you have questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Corrib Princess

Sorry about that I wasn't promoting my own business I just know there is a facebook page for Fishing on Lough Corrib and suggested they check it also and pasted the details from the info on the facebook page though it might be helpful.
    Regards
    Róisín

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭famoussheamus

Lough Mask is fishing well at the moment, as is Lough Corrib in particular buzzer sections. Renting a boat is quite cheep and every village offers plenty. I would recommend you get a ghille or a boatman for the first outing as the lakes can be quite dangerous depending on where you launch from.
    You can talk to the angling officer at Inland Fisheries Ireland +353 (0)91xxx or you can simply ask locally or at your accommodation. All you need to know is why type of fishing you want to do and most people are friendly enough to steer you in the right direction.
    Enjoy what the lakes have to offer.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Nash56

Thanks lads,

famoussheamus....thanks for that information...I'm from Limerick so wouldn't be requiring accomodation and would only be going with one or two friends max...I'd like to make a right day out of it an rent the boat for a good few hours if possible...also i asked could "anyone" rent a boat for either of these lakes purely because I was wondering is a ghillie or guide a "must" for a stranger to the lakes....and also if one wasn't used to a motor on a boat...a ghillie can be expensive depending on circumstances...and also what lake would you be suggestin...for a stranger to the area??

sorry for the questions but I'm very interested in what you have to say as you seem to know a bit about it...I will definitely try that number though...

Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭famoussheamus

Lough Mask is particularly dangerous unless you are going out from the western side of the lake around Tourmakedy. Corrib is a bit safer. It's a tough one, but days fishing are always more memorable when you catch fish. If it were me I would probably go to Mask, but keep an eye on http://www.fishinginireland.info/update/trout_angling.htm which keeps people up to date on how the lakes are fishing.
    On the boatman issue, I would reccomend it purely for the fact that it's your first time on the lake, it can be good craic and the majority of them definatley know what they are about. They are quiter this time of year so see what the recessionary rate is for first timers to the lake. The number I provided above will be operating from about 930am I think. Oughterard on the Corrib is probably the closest place to Galway, and there are plenty boats for hire. All you have to do really is drive there. I cannot give you numbers of businesses which supply boats so I hope you enjoy the fishing. Tight lines

Boatmen are not essential

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

There's a chap, Frank I think his name is, that run's 'Ashford Castle Boat Hire' - Seperate business to the castle itself so it's not expensive. Name is what it is because it's run from within the grounds of the castle.

Nice chap but don't have a number for him sorry - I'm sure a quick Google will return loads of hits.

There are loads of people that rent out boats on the Corrib, just depends on where abouts you're basing yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Sorry, I know it's an old thread but my requirement is not dis-similar so I thought I'd post here. I'm looking to possibly rent a boat on Lough Mask from the Clonbur end of the lake. Can anyone suggest roughly what the cost would be? Is it the kind of thing you could organise last minute? I'm looking to possibly visit an island close to Clonbur and am simply trying to figure out how to get there and back! Midweek in July would there be lots of activity on the lake and not much hassle to show up some morning and find someone?

Thanks for any help!

Advertisement