Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Warnning Please keep your dog out of water in Griffeen

• 24-04-2011 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Before any new depo is built.....
    Before any new depo is built sombody should look into the matter of pollution to the river griffeen "prosecutions need to be brought where possible".
    Keep your Dog out of the water in Griffeen Valley Park, Our German sheppard got a serious skin allergy from this water I would like to highlight this issues to save your pet the suffering our pet had to put up with for months

I would like to introduce myself to you My name is Andy I have lived in lucan past 40yrs and my parents, Grandparents and Great grandparents before me.The River Griffeen is a tributary of the River Liffey it rises in Saggart Hill, south of Rathcoole. It is fed by nearby streams and flows northwards joining the River Liffey downstream of Lucan Village.
    I’m living near this river since childhood, and have seen its many changes over the last 35 years. As a child I remember it before it was a parkland I remember its sheer wildness, seeing the spent Salmon after spawning it was a mighty river then not the rerouted skeleton it is now.
    As children we used to fish in the river with buckets and nets where we used to catch Eels, Minnow, Stickle back, Gudgeon, and Trout. As years passed and I progressed from catching Stickle back in bucket I used to harvest the Caddis fly larva and Minnow to use as bait on the River liffey and the Roy River. Sadly all this is all gone now the river is reduced to a vile smelling stream with little or no life in it apart from the rats. I know I alone could never bring it back, but it discuss me the Politics the downright neglect even if I could get the answer as to why somebody somewhere let domestic waist be plumbed into the rain water drainage system,

Please view my videos to see what im trying to highlight:
    Griffeen Valley Pollution:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScytSgs5U80

Griffeen Valley RATS:
    http://youtu.be/kZQ3BTQ6_GI

Kindest Regards and Thank You for Reading My Story

Andy

mad.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Andy thanks for bringing this up as it was on my mind to create a post myself about it!

This is where I walk my dog every day and your the second person that I have heard of now who's dog has gotten a skin allergy from the water in Griffeen. The water there is so dirty and in most places full of rubbish, just the other day I saw a brown wheelie bin in the river down near where the playground is. Although my dog has been in the water many times he has not got any skin problems from it thank god. When he does get in I would always wash him when he gets home.

With the weather getting nicer I have seen more and more dogs and also kids getting into the water down there. With the extended new side of the park almost finished now you would think that they would make it a priority to clean up the river!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Try contacting these:
    http://www.dublincity.ie/WaterWasteEnvironment/Pages/EnvironmentalComplaintsHotline.aspx

Get everyone you can to contact them, give them the link for the youtube video and hopefully they'll do something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Did anyone notice the water here was a cloudy Blue yesterday :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 eirefishing

The reason why the river turns blue/gray is pollution flows in at the rain water in flow at the back of the Island. It is more prevalent at weekends when everybody is off work and at home doing the laundry... Sure you can smell the fabric conditioners ect. If you stand at inflow. You can also see more pollution going in at 12th lock at Lucan, take a walk along the canal towards Clondalkin on the new cycle path and when you come to the aqueduct take a look up the griffeen towards the new industrial estate you can see pollution coming in through large pipes.......
    Check out this vid, you need to watch full length http://youtu.be/ScytSgs5U80

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

To those that have seen pollution in the river, contact Inland Fisheries Ireland in Blackrock. They deal with pollution incidents on rivers, lakes etc. Make the call, this certainly isn't going to be resolved unless an official complaint is made!
    http://www.fisheriesireland.ie/Contact-Us/Inland-Fisheries-Ireland-Blackrock.html?catid=49

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

At the 2minute mark on your first video, it looks like sh*te. Where would the source of that be? I thought the days of pumping this sort of stuff into rivers was gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 eirefishing

There is an entrance into the wood on the Arthur Griffith side, Go in there and walk over the bridge and turn left and walk down the grass and just before you come to Oldest bridge in Ireland the S**t pipe is there for all to see.... Please don’t leave posts saying contact Fisheries board; I have done all that about this matter, I own a fishing site called eirefishing.net and I have reported about fishing traps, Netting of rivers, pollution, Long lines ect, they don’t even reply, it’s a joke all they are interested in is bullying the young Lads of the local rivers stopping them fishing, on one occasion I watched as a bailiff hassled 3 young lads on the river, and then walked by 3 foreign blokes “BIG LADS” fishing with a big fire lit and buckets with whatever fish they were catching in them “thats another story”. Only one councillor replied to me saying I’m wasting my time as I would need scientific proof, the fisheries board and 100s of local residents behind me. IT’S LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE NOTHING WILL BE DONE UNTIL A CHILD GETS ILL OR HURT, when it too late and it will happen...... I have found cats, Owls and sparrow hawks dead in park last 3 months, I asked one of the park wardens what was going on was there somebody putting rat poison down? He said it was not the council but the dog walkers thinking they were doing good by putting poison down where they have seen rats , “Bull S**t” it all to do with the river even one of the Grey heron birds was supposed to have been found dead by the river about 6 weeks ago.:mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Beg your pardon, eirefishing, for attempting to make a suggestion.
    I hope your manner is more polite offline. If not, perhaps that's why you're having difficulty getting anyone to help you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

That sounds so frustrating eirefishing. And typical. Its really sickening.I used to canoe up around that neck of the woods but was so savagely Ill last time I rolled and got a mouthful by accident that I was nearly hospitalised. That areas been dire and worsening for fifteen years. I don't know what to suggest.
    There are organisations that take on lobbying to government and bord pleanala for national interest causes.

http://www.antaisce.ie

They lobby for the environment, against water pollution and damage done to biodiversity due to water pollution, bad planning etc

If the slovenly attitude of the councillor you mentioned is anything to go by you need a bit more structured proactive support behind you. I suggest putting a list together with all your complaints and refusals/ lack of outcomes, and send it in to An Taisce.

Thanks for giving a damn at least. Apathy has us where we are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 danielle o

Hi,
    Im a third year geography student and I am doing a mini thesis type report on pollution in the River Griffeen. Just wondering would I be able to get details off any of you and interview you on this matter?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement