Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats meteor internet like?

Options
  • 24-04-2011 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Getting an unlocked iphone and was going to move to 3 but it turns out that their deal isn't as great as I had once thought. Planning on staying with meteor now.

My question is, what is the mobile internet like with meteor on the iphone4? Will it be ridiculously slow, or will it be similar to o2/vodafone/3?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

As long as you are in a 3G service area, it should work as well as the others (and better than 3 in my experience - I have never tried 02 and vodafone). I've been using it for a while in Dublin and I am very happy with it. Going to areas with no 3G coverage it will fallback to EDGE which is definitely slower. I suppose o2/voda have better 3G coverage, so I guess it depends where you are. If you're going to mostly use it in dense areas, no worries.
    Also note that if there's no 3G, Vodafone will do standard GPRS which is even slower than EDGE, and 3 will sometimes do that and sometimes not work at all (based on my own experience, I am not sure what it is supposed to do - but anyway for 2G they are using the Vodafone network, so best case you will get EDGE).

My 2 cents: if you are going to switch, go to o2 of Voda because of their better 3G coverge. But forget 3 they are definitely not better than Meteor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭timeforachange

Thanks for the reply :) That has put my mind at ease, I'm trying to find the best PAYG option. I've ruled out 3 but I just found that O2 have quite a good deal so I think its between o2 and Meteor!

Yes I think they have a larger data bundle than Meteor on prepaid. Anyway there is little commitment on prepaid and porting your number is easy so you can probably stay with Meteor for now and switch to o2 if you find out the service is not good in your area or there data pricing is not good for you :-)

Meteor also has quite cheaper international rates (and if you care about this Vodafone is probably even better), but otherwise o2 sounds good. And one more point you might want to consider: with meteor you can use your data bundle to share the internet connection with a laptop/iPad via Wi-Fi/USB/Bluetooth, there other ones will only let you do that with additional (expansive) charges.

So there are advantages on both sides, it's all about what you need the most :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I wouldn't bother switching to O2 as their PAYG internet data is wayyyy too expensive. I'm currently on their PAYG using a HTC HD7 which really needs a proper data connection to work with a lot of the apps and O2 charge 99c A DAY :eek: for 50mb. I'm going to switch to either 3 or Meteor next as they both have a lot better deals than O2

I wouldn't bother switching to O2 as their PAYG internet data is wayyyy too expensive. I'm currently on their PAYG using a HTC HD7 which really needs a proper data connection to work with a lot of the apps and O2 charge 99c A DAY :eek: for 50mb. I'm going to switch to either 3 or Meteor next as they both have a lot better deals than O2

The also have 700MB for 10 euros (30 days) which should be enough for mobile browsing: http://www.o2online.ie/o2/my-o2/mobile-internet/

As far as prepaid offers are concerned, it is not bad I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Tis brilliant. a great under-utilised network and even the 2G speeds are never bad

I have ruled out moving to 3 because their unlimited any network texts offer is ending at the end of this month.

So then its either Meteor or O2 for me. Meteor are running a great deal for NEW customers that they will get free €20 credit every month forever, but unfortunately I don't have time to port away from them and then come back as a new customer so can't get that lol That has me a bit annoyed, I hate when companies use great promotions to entice new customers when I'm already with them!!!

So then I'm thinking of going with O2 because it looks like they have a similar offer lasting for a year. They are advertising the offer on their site, but then it says its for the month of March. I'm not sure if they are still offering it or not. If so I think I'll go with O2 because even if it is 99c a day, I'll have 40 euro credit instead of 20!

The data bundle for €10 sounds good but I am not wanting to spend more than €20 a month because otherwise I would start looking at bill phones.

Can anyone tell me if I go for that €10 bundle, is it possible to have that €10 just taken from your credit (this is how 3 run their data bundle) or does it mean I will actually have to pay €30 a month for everything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

It comes out of your credit.
    So top up €20, get €20 free, take €10 for internet leaves €30 credit to spend.

Just to be wary, you are not eligible for the €20 free for 12 months if you are looking to port over with just a free SIM but have been on the O2 network previously with your current number.

Kensington wrote: »
    It comes out of your credit.
    So top up €20, get €20 free, take €10 for internet leaves €30 credit to spend.

Just to be wary, you are not eligible for the €20 free for 12 months if you are looking to port over with just a free SIM but have been on the O2 network previously with your current number.

I have always been with meteor, never ported to any other network so I should be okay for it so!

Thanks so much for that quick reply, you've officially made my mind up so I'm going to O2 lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

Bob24 wrote: »
    The also have 700MB for 10 euros (30 days) which should be enough for mobile browsing: http://www.o2online.ie/o2/my-o2/mobile-internet/

As far as prepaid offers are concerned, it is not bad I think.

O2 crap on most things but using this myself at the moment. I dont think there is anything out there to touch it at the moment if you just want predominantly PAYG internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Vodafone 39cent?? Is this available with PAYG or just bill pay? When I searched their site for info on data I could only see the option of €1 a day?

Thanks Captain Morgan! I was just looking at their website about this. I noticed that they say the rate only applies when using their vodafone live app.
    I haven't actually got my iphone yet so I'm not a hundred per cent sure on how it works, but does this mean if I use any of my other apps that I'll download from the apple app store or if I want to use safari to browse the internet etc. will that be extra on top of the vodafone 360 charge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Vodafone Live is an APN. Everything except tethering is covered on the iPhone under the Live APN. 39c per day gives you 100MB use, charged only on days you use the internet.

Kensington wrote: »
    Vodafone Live is an APN. Everything except tethering is covered on the iPhone under the Live APN. 39c per day gives you 100MB use, charged only on days you use the internet.

I'm really sorry because I know most people would probably know what you mean but I just want to make sure I get this right in my head!
    If I have the vodafone live on my phone and I sign up to the 360 promotion, any time I use the mobile internet on my iphone whether it is to play on an app or use safari to browse the internet etc. will that all be included in the data allowance of 39c?

Sorry again if I sound stupid lol I just read the terms and conditions as though the vodafone was an app and you had to use the internet through the app to be allowed this data allowance!!

Brilliant, thanks for clearing that up! This option with Vodafone is definitely the best value I think. They seem to have the best rates for roaming while in the USA too which will be helpful for me this summer.

I'm going to look into this app now so thanks for the heads up!

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

I'm on meteor with PAYG and the 3G is okay. Not as good ad my previous HTC Desire Z but that's down to the iPhone only supporting up to 3G and not HSDPA. I find that 69c is okay for 50mb a day. Perfect amount for casual checking Facebook twitter and the web etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

The iPhone does support HSDPA (and HSDUPA, for that matter). Not sure why you are finding it slower.

From my experience Android somehow gives the appearance of loading a page faster, but when put side-by-side both the iPhone and an Android handset finish loading at about the same time.

• Advertisement

But do these options not oblige you to top up on phone calls also so you dont really get the above rates if you just use the internet. Add in the voice topup and the rate doesnt seem so good at all. The O2 tariff has no such condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

bd250110 wrote: »
    The iPhone does support HSDPA (and HSDUPA, for that matter). Not sure why you are finding it slower.

From my experience Android somehow gives the appearance of loading a page faster, but when put side-by-side both the iPhone and an Android handset finish loading at about the same time.

Thanks for that. Why does the iPhone class HSDPA as 3G up in the signal bar thingy? Seems a bit weird compared to the H that appears when using Android. :)

That you cannot buy internet usage exclusively, cost effectively. But maybe I am missing something. If I want a tariff that lets me download approx 500Mb per month for example, what is the minimum spend and with which operator do I get that. In your suggestion above, that would cost E32. Admittedly, that includes E27 of voice calls but I didnt want them in the first place. And I am still only getting 100Mb for that E32.

With O2, topup by E10, and transfer it all to data usage, and so for an outlay of only E10 I have got 700MB. Surely that is better ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

The internet is grand. Alot faster than three anyway in my experience and testing.

Though if your not in a well populated area you might not have 3G. Though that will improve when 02 and meteor will start sharing their towers :)

Anyone able to clear up this d
    efinitively - whats the cheapest way to buy data only on a pay as you go scheme ?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ITDemo

I have been using with Meteor for the past 6 months and find there mobile internet to be brilliant.
    I have a HTC Desire which is constantly refreshing apps and such with no problems. Highly recommend them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

Same network as Meteor, but can actually be cheaper for some users, especially on bill-pay -- if you're topping up over €30 a month, you may be better off on billpay.

Advertisement