Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Trapped on 1st floor Balcony

• 24-04-2011 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi,

I was leaving my apartment block at about 4 o clock today and noticed a cat crying on a first floor balcony. We came home there at 915 and it's still on the balcony crying. It too high for us to use a ladder to try get it down. Don't know if the owner put the cat out on the balcony or whether it just made it's way there. There is no one in the apartment and the crying of the cat is terrible. Anyone know what we could do?? The cat appears to be in some distress and i feel terrible leaving it there.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

sandy_c wrote: »
    Hi,

I was leaving my apartment block at about 4 o clock today and noticed a cat crying on a first floor balcony. We came home there at 915 and it's still on the balcony crying. It too high for us to use a ladder to try get it down. Don't know if the owner put the cat out on the balcony or whether it just made it's way there. There is no one in the apartment and the crying of the cat is terrible. Anyone know what we could do?? The cat appears to be in some distress and i feel terrible leaving it there.

Thanks
    is the balcony next door close to it? maybe u could knock into them and see if ya can get it from there

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

Unfortunately not. I'm not even sure if the cat belongs to that apartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

is it an unoccupied flat or is it a flat belonging to someone who is away? if its an unoccupied flat you could seek out the supervisor or a maintenance guy who can point you in the right managerial direction - to get them to let the cat off the balcony - as it isnt very high (first floor) perhaps its crying as its hurt.

if you suspect it may be hurt and cant find a supervisor you could ring the SPCA closest to you - they might be able to sort something with the Garda i guess.

or do you know a maintenance guy, gutter cleaner, bloke who fixes roofs - who would have a longer than standard ladder?

The apartment is occupied just doesn't look like the owner is there. The cat looks quite young so i find it hard to think that the cat got there by itself as i'd say the balcony is bout 15 feet from the ground. God if the owner actually put the cat out on the balcony on purpose i'm raging!! The balcony was in the sun all day too. The janitor only works Monday to Friday but i'd imagine is off tomorrow as it's a bank holiday.

I'll go out and have another look and maybe try throw some food up to it. If the cat is still up there in the morning I'll try contact the DSPCA tomorrow they open at 10 am as per their website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭MaryK666

Any update on this poor kitty sandy-c? I dont live far from you so if you need help to rescue this poor little thing, just PM me if there's anything I can do. It's a horrible thing to do, to leave a cat or kitten on a balcony but somepeople do treat their pets appallingly. They've probably gone away for the bank holiday weekend and left it home alone. Fingers crossed that there's a happy ending to this story but please do let us know.

• Advertisement

Cat is still crying on the balcony. Called the DSPCA and nobody is picking up. Also called the Gardai for advice.....no joy there either i was told that cats are braver then i think. Going to try throw some food up to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Have you tried knocking on the door? Is the owner still away??

Is there any shelter for the cat, it will become dehydrated if its left there with no shade or water. :mad::mad: I hope its not that persons cat cause thats just awful :(

Could you check with the other neighbours and ask if they know who lives there, the owner of the flat may leave spare keys with their next door neighbour in case of emergency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

sandy_c wrote: »
    Cat is still crying on the balcony. Called the DSPCA and nobody is picking up. Also called the Gardai for advice.....no joy there either i was told that cats are braver then i think. Going to try throw some food up to it now.
    I take it there's no adjoining balcony?
    Have you tried the apartment on the floor above? Would it be possible to lower a bucket of water or some food down to the cat?
    Or failing everything else, find someone with a longer ladder and see if they could rescue it.

While the apartment block maintenance person only works Mon-Fri, surely there has to be a contact number for weekends?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

So it's basically been there possibly 2 days now and no water? :eek:
    Call the guards again the more you complain the more they will get off their arses or even the fire brigade...they have rescued animals up high before I'm sure?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Hi Sandy,
    Any update on the cat stuck on the balcony?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

BUMP for updates.

I feel awful for the kitty!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭FastFuse

sandy_c please update as soon as you can. Thanks.

Advertisement