Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera Advice needed!

• 24-04-2011 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am looking to purchase a decent camera, something in the 400 range. I want the high zoom capability of an SLR but without the need to have to do a course or spend a grand on a camera and with hi def video capability as well..

A bridge camera has been recommended to me, the Fujifilm HS10 looks v good but there are some contrasting reviews and I don't like the need for AA batteries..

My main question is to any amatuer camera people in the local area, what do you use and where in the area is a good place to go.
    I've been to Harvey Normans but they have a limited selection and I want to get some competition!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

The Camera Shop on the Quay you should try, i bought my first digi one there, the guy seems to know his stuff on cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭DjBryn

STIG83 wrote: »
    The Camera Shop on the Quay you should try, i bought my first digi one there, the guy seems to know his stuff on cameras.
    Id say thats Hennebrys 109 the quay, down from gpo,he does all the top.brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

DjBryn wrote: »
    Id say thats Hennebrys 109 the quay, down from gpo,he does all the top.brands.

Is that whats it called? sorry mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Best bet is to buy your camera online.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Joe Gt

go into the camera counter in sam mccauleys, a lot more helpful than Hennebrys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Go into Mc Cauleys and buy either the Canon G12 or Nikon P7000 both great bridge cameras! Last time I checked they are between 400 - 500 I think.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

And don't forget the fake tan
    Joe Gt wrote: »
    go into the camera counter in sam mccauleys, a lot more helpful than Hennebrys
    When your there,

If you need a camera best go to a proper local camera shop...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

+1 on the Canon G12.

It can be as advanced as you want it to be or you can use any of the 28 scene settings to get you started. A really nice bit of kit.:P

DC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Hoffmans wrote: »
    And don't forget the fake tan
    When your there,

If you need a camera best go to a proper local camera shop...

They sell cameras/tripods/memory cards/flashes/ etc etc and the guy working there(Michael) is a photographer himself. Just because they are also a chemist doesn't mean its not "proper".

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭JShannow

Yes I went into Sam McCauleys and the guy there recommended the G12, that is what he has himself..

They don't stock it tho and he bought his online, ha...

I may buy online but I wanted to pick up and have a look before I bought one..

Must try Hennebrys, closed over the bank holiday weekend..!

• Advertisement

Decoda wrote: »
    +1 on the Canon G12.

It can be as advanced as you want it to be or you can use any of the 28 scene settings to get you started. A really nice bit of kit.:P

DC

Have you used the G12?? it has just a 5x zoom, is that enough? some of the others out there have up to 30x?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

JShannow wrote: »
    Have you used the G12?? it has just a 5x zoom, is that enough? some of the others out there have up to 30x?

I'd imagine a camera with 30x Optical zoom to be a much more expensive bit of kit. 30x digital zoom maybe but that's just pretend, imo

old gregg wrote: »
    I'd imagine a camera with 30x Optical zoom to be a much more expensive bit of kit. 30x digital zoom maybe but that's just pretend, imo

The Fujifilm HS10 has a 30x optical zoom and 1080p recording.. It looks a great deal for about 400 but it doesn't seem too highly rated for some reason, I had a look at one in Harvey Normans and it looks really good, proper camera enthusiasts don't seem to like fujifilm tho..

Advertisement