Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you have an obligation to tell a partner...

• 24-04-2011 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭

If you have an STI? Been wanting to begin a discussion on this for a while,a post in another thread reminded me. Would like a yes/no poll too if a mod could add one.I'm on my phone.
    Well my instinctive reaction to this a while back was that yes if you know you have an STI you should have to tell any sexual partner.not sure about the law here but i think there are countries that made it illegal not to inform a partner.though another way of looking at it is to ask if your partner doesn't ask or more importantly doesn't assume you'd be using a condom are you really the only one to blame? We all know it takes two,so why not when it comes to STIs.

Just want to have it said i dont have one,and as for answering my own question i don't know where i stand on this fully.

Informing ourselves is so important these days so rather than it being the responsibility of your partner to disclose this information,should you take as much blame for not protecting yourself?

Discuss :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Ethically, yes .

If you have something that another person can catch thru intercourse then I reckon you should bite the bullet and tell them.

Or if you are diagnosed and its likely you have caught something from / or infected someone yes.

I have never had an infection but if I had been exposed to them would really have wanted the opportunity to get treatment.

The more serious the infection the more you need to know.

I am fairly ignorant of sti's and their symptoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

should it not be equally your responsibility to protect yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

I'm just going to walk like this, and if you get hit it's your own fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

It's wrong not to tell them but I'd probably keep my mouth shut anyway. Depends how serious it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Whatever about other ones I'm nearly sure its illegal in the case of HIV, based on the fact its considered to be a fatal disease. And while yeah it is ones responsibilty to protect yourself it still is wrong not to tell someone if you have an sti. In fact I would feel you shouldn't even be looking to have sex at all for the duration of the infection, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Poor Craythur

OP, yes! Of course you should tell them. STIs are easily treatable for the most part but can get nasty if left untreated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭biscuiteater

sarah jane porter deliberately slept with men to pass on hiv and got jail

sarah jane porter deliberately slept with men to pass on hiv and got jail
    Ok. Am well at least say what country this was in? And would you like to offer your opinion on the topic?

I think most peoples instinct would be that it'd be wrong at least ethically not to tell.but i'm just looking to challenge the normal thinking behind that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Thread is a wind up surely. What kind of fcking animal would do that to someone.

• Advertisement

apologies think i read that wrong, but still say keep your germs to yourself then you don't have to tell anyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Yes - it is your responsibility to protect yourself & a friend of mine in the vending machine business says you wouldn't get rich on the takings from condom machines is ladies toilets .

So yes you have an obligation to protect yourself and if you have to be insistant that you use protection be so.

When I was a student there was a cartoon in a student mag " love dies, herpes lasts for ever" .

I dont think sti's have the stigma they once had as sexual mores have changed.

from what i have read there are two groups - "bacterial" they are the treatable ones and "viral" which are the serious recurent ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

If you have an STI? Been wanting to begin a discussion on this for a while,a post in another thread reminded me. Would like a yes/no poll too if a mod could add one.I'm on my phone.
    Well my instinctive reaction to this a while back was that yes if you know you have an STI you should have to tell any sexual partner.not sure about the law here but i think there are countries that made it illegal not to inform a partner.though another way of looking at it is to ask if your partner doesn't ask or more importantly doesn't assume you'd be using a condom are you really the only one to blame? We all know it takes two,so why not when it comes to STIs.

Just want to have it said i dont have one,and as for answering my own question i don't know where i stand on this fully.

Informing ourselves is so important these days so rather than it being the responsibility of your partner to disclose this information,should you take as much blame for not protecting yourself?

sigh.

well, at least you kept your user name. that's something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Of course it's your responsibility to tell a partner if you have one. Anyone who tries to fob off the blame to his/her partner, "Oh well sure they didn't ask!" is fooling themselves and in my opinion a sick and selfish f#cker.

Hmmm this may be suited better to somewhere like humanities after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Hmmm this may be suited better to somewhere like humanities after all.

Not really, it's perfectly simple, is the omission of the truth the same thing as lying? in most cases yes, certainly in this case.

Not telling a sexual partner that you have a contagious disease/virus is pretty bad form, trying to put the blame on the partner because they did not demand a condom is selfishness. Condoms do not protect against all STI's, if someone unknowingly passes on something then fair enough that is just the inherent risk of sexual encounters but to knowingly deceive the other person and not inform them is not acceptable under any circumstances.

The old saying "do unto others as you would have done unto you" is perfectly apt for this, if you slept with someone without a condom and then you found out you got herpes/whatever from them and they knew they had it but just didn't bother telling you how would you feel? Would you lay all the blame on yourself for not insisting on using a condom or would you be angry that they knew they were going to infect you with something but did not warn you?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

it doesn't really matter the circumstances around how 1 person got it...

...but if they were to be sexually involved with someone else, without highlighting to them first, they're a prick.

To most people, there'd be an element of trust with sex. You'd each be in affect giving up your bodies to each other. Taking the risk of giving someone an STD (especially when you knew you had 1) is an abuse of that trust. Taking no consideration to your partner.

It in turn can hurt as much as a swift punch to the temple...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Of course you should tell them. Its a no brainer. If you dont you are a total arsehole.

"Oh he never asked"

I doubt it would go down well if you did ask!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

Yes of course.

Who knows they might be into that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

tbh depending on the STI I'd just be avoiding sex until it's cleared up.

If that's not possible then I'd ensure that I use a condom at all times. I know that that's not enough for all things.

It's morally kinda reprehensible to not inform the partner if there's a chance that they could catch something off you... but... if you do tell them, that's the moment gone and you're at home pullin the stomach off yourself! :D hmmmm, decisions decisions... if only I were a perfectly moral person...

• Advertisement

Dave! wrote: »
    tbh depending on the STI I'd just be avoiding sex until it's cleared up.

If that's not possible then I'd ensure that I use a condom at all times. I know that that's not enough for all things.

It's morally kinda reprehensible to not inform the partner if there's a chance that they could catch something off you... but... if you do tell them, that's the moment gone and you're at home pullin the stomach off yourself! :D hmmmm, decisions decisions... if only I were a perfectly moral person...
    Would you rape someone so you dont have to pull the stomach off yourself as you put it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I don't see why you wouldn't tell your partner or tell someone you were going to sleep with that you have something they could catch.

Apart from being unethical it's just irresponsible as well as selfish to not let them know. Even being careful doesn't always mean you won't catch something if it's there.
    If you had an infectious skin disease would you alert the people in contact with you? Or just turn a blind eye if they caught it?
    It'd be like having a child with chicken pox and allowing other children over without first telling the parents so they could choose if they wanted their child there or not.

You'd be knowingly exposing someone to an infection or illness without their consent (to be exposed to catching something).

Kadongy wrote: »
    Would you rape someone so you dont have to pull the stomach off yourself as you put it?
    Yes, yes I would

Yes, yes I would
    You are not funny. Very poor taste.

Damn...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Yes, yes I would
    Better than raping yourself

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Better than raping yourself
    I don't put up much of a fight when I'm being raped by myself!

Anyway, enough trolling...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

My god, if you have a STD you should be going to the doctor's and sorting it out....not going around having sex. Especially with your partner or someone your meant to love. Are there really ignorant people out there about these matters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

A friend of mine got an STI from a girl who hopped on him whilst he was asleep the morning after the night before. Turns out she'd already been to a doctor and knew she had picked up something. It was a horrible thing for her to do. Not sure why anybody would knowingly put someone at risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

My god, if you have a STD you should be going to the doctor's and sorting it out....not going around having sex. Especially with your partner or someone your meant to love. Are there really ignorant people out there about these matters?

Yes there are thousands out there with this stupid mentality.

The level of STI awareness/education in this country is so shockingly awful...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Do you have an obligation to tell a partner if you have an STI...?

Are you for real?

If you have sex with a partner while knowingly carrying an STD you are maliciously harming, or risking harm, to that person. That is a crime and there isn't a judge in that land that wouldn't convict you for it.

I actually can't believe you need clarity on this.

Jesus.right could everyone read this properly.i do not have an STI.

I opened this here because i thought there was a chance we'd be able to have a discussion and some people might consider an alternative point of view. Not much point in leaving it open here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I do not have an STI.
    I did actually presume the question was hypothetical.
    some people might consider an alternative point of view.
    There isn't one. Regardless of where you start the thread.

Not informing a partner about an STI is grossly irresponsible and negligent. End of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

^ I agree with the above.

There is no discussion about it! Who is a pr*ck not to get a STD sorted out and who would pass it onto someone else? Especially a partner!

There is just no discussion about it. There should not be a difference of opinion. You get it sorted. You clear it up. End of discussion.

Also I would question why would you have an STD if you are sleeping with the same "partner". This discussion is not even about ONS, it implies would you tell a partner? Well if your just sleeping with the one person, I would be ignorant in thinking where could you pick up the STD from unless you were sleeping around (you as in the 3rd person you or whatever, not directly OP).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Also I would question why would you have an STD if you are sleeping with the same "partner". This discussion is not even about ONS, it implies would you tell a partner? Well if your just sleeping with the one person, I would be ignorant in thinking where could you pick up the STD from unless you were sleeping around (you as in the 3rd person you or whatever, not directly OP).

presumably in this scenario the OP means sexual partner rather than life partner, and frequently sexual partners are transient beings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Scotty # wrote: »
    Do you have an obligation to tell a partner if you have an STI...?

Are you for real?

If you have sex with a partner while knowingly carrying an STD you are maliciously harming, or risking harm, to that person. That is a crime and there isn't a judge in that land that wouldn't convict you for it.

I actually can't believe you need clarity on this.

That depends on the STD if I remember correctly, viral STD's have to be disclosed, but infections don't legally have to be. I am open to correction, but that was my reading on it.

That said, witholding such information is just not a nice or humane thing to do. I know of a girl who got Chlamydia from a guy who knew he had it but was told by a friend that it doesn't cause any problems for guys so he's OK. It was only after he found out she got it that he told her he knew. Haven't talked to her for a while but that's the kind of thing that can make a girl infertile, not sure about her, but if she wanted kids and now can't have them, it's devastating. So yeah, not revealing you have an STD automatically and irrevocably makes you a cunt. and nothing less.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Without question you should inform your partner.

I opened this here because i thought there was a chance we'd be able to have a discussion and some people might consider an alternative point of view.

What on Earth could the 'alternate view' be? :confused:

Galvasean wrote: »
    What on Earth could the 'alternate view' be? :confused:

The alternative view would be that we're all responsible for our own health and shouldn't rely on others for it.like if you agree to have unprotected sex aren't you as much to blame? But seems people aren't open to considering it.

The alternative view would be that we're all responsible for our own health and shouldn't rely on others for it.like if you agree to have unprotected sex aren't you as much to blame? But seems people aren't open to considering it.

I definitely would not go as far as to say 'as much to blame'. IMO it's a bit like saying someone who got stabbed should share the blame since they weren't wearing a flak jacket.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Thread closed at OP's request.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement