Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod on or off?

Options
  • 24-04-2011 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Guys can anyone advise why there would be such a different zero with a mod on V no mod. I have a M03 Mauser brand new, factory threded and a new T8. I have been using it with the T8 and have it zeroed fine. There today I decided to try it without the mod on and it was about 8" low and 3" to the left.:confused: Any thoughts why this would be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Weight of the mod affects the harmonics of the barrel giving you a different point of impact. Standing by to be corrected :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Mauser 308 wrote: »
    There today I decided to try it without the mod on and it was about 8" low and 3" to the left.:confused: Any thoughts why this would be?

Did it hold that point of impact constantly? Did it get its zero back when the mod was put back on?

If so i'd say johngalway has it spot on.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

Ezridax wrote: »
    Did it hold that point of impact constantly? Did it get its zero back when the mod was put back on?

If so i'd say johngalway has it spot on.
    Hi Ezridax, Yep it held it over a 4 shot group, and returned to the original zero when I refitted the mod. Its a 308 by the way not that it should matter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

If its holding the same point of impact with the mod on and with the mod off then i would say its as John said and the harmonics.

Nothing to worry about. Simply remember that its 8" low and 3" left without the mod so if you decide to shoot without it you can adjust the scope and have an almost perfect zero without having to fire a shot.

I do the same with all my rifles that have mods. Check zero with and without mod. Fire 3 shots each time and remember the adjustments necessary. Do this a couple of times with the mod on and off) so that you can get the exact "actual" adjustments and do not need to keep shooting to re-zero each time you remove it.

Does that make sense?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

Ezridax wrote: »
    If its holding the same point of impact with the mod on and with the mod off then i would say its as John said and the harmonics.

Nothing to worry about. Simply remember that its 8" low and 3" left without the mod so if you decide to shoot without it you can adjust the scope and have an almost perfect zero without having to fire a shot.

I do the same with all my rifles that have mods. Check zero with and without mod. Fire 3 shots each time and remember the adjustments necessary. Do this a couple of times with the mod on and off) so that you can get the exact "actual" adjustments and do not need to keep shooting to re-zero each time you remove it.

Does that make sense?

Yep Makesperfect sense:) knowing me I will change between mod on and off then shoot and only then remember to adjust or not mix up the hold over. But thats great as I thought it was the set up as aposed to physics.
    Cheers Guys:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

johngalway wrote: »
    Weight of the mod affects the harmonics of the barrel giving you a different point of impact. Standing by to be corrected :pac:

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭GixxerThou

John is right, its the same way if you rest the barrel on a gate or something, it can effect your shot..

Advertisement