Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

best value for money HD freesat box?

• 24-04-2011 10:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭

hey I'm getting sky installed at the end of the week however due to a lack of a phone line I can't get multiroom. So I'm looking at getting freesat in a couple of rooms so I'm just wondering what are my best options for cost effective HD boxes?

are there any disadvantages to using sky HD boxes off adverts or are there better alternatives?

Also where has the best value satellite cabling may I ask? sorry new to all this so not sure what to be looking for

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Russian Spy

I got the Eddison from TVTRADE.ie its very good but the EPG (electronic program guide) is good but has a few faults e.g the programme guide does not update automatically until you flick through the channels and you have to record using time, date and channel. But it is a great box otherwise :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Apogee

I got the Eddison from TVTRADE.ie its very good but the EPG (electronic program guide) is good but has a few faults e.g the programme guide does not update automatically until you flick through the channels and you have to record using time, date and channel.

That's not a 'fault' in the box - it's a result of the way the EPG is transmitted. All free-to-air boxes behave in the same way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

disadvantages to using sky HD boxes
    You cannot use the record /pause function on them. (only works with a sky sub)

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

I got the Eddison from TVTRADE.ie its very good but the EPG (electronic program guide) is good but has a few faults e.g the programme guide does not update automatically until you flick through the channels and you have to record using time, date and channel. But it is a great box otherwise :D

The Eddison is not a Freesat box. It is a free to air satellite receiver/DTT combo box with no satellite EPG or automatic updating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Here's a list of Freesat HD receivers at Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_19?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=freesat+hd+receiver&x=0&y=0&sprefix=freesat+hd+receiver

I own the Sagem DSI86, and its an excellent box from my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭montgolfiere

I think a Grade 'A' Humax Freesat HD box for around £90.00 from the Humax Direct website is good value for money.
    i would be VERY WARY of buying any Bush HD receiver from the likes of ebay as they have had software issues over the last couple of years and many of those being sold off cheap on ebay can have problems...
    the Skyman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

From reading various forums and reviews I would tend to agree with this.

If possible, try to buy a brand such as Humax, TechniSat or Sagem. Much better reputation.

Only buy Bush or Goodmans if you are tight for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

In terms of value for money the Technisat Freesat HD has dropped to £99.00 on Amazon and allows you to record to a USB or external hard drive which could be a useful feature.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Technisat-HDFS-Freesat-HD-Receiver/dp/B002DPVMXO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1303761635&sr=8-1

The Sagem DSI86 is also a decent box for the price

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sagemcom-Satellite-Digital-Receiver-freesat/dp/B002XSKSHM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303761748&sr=1-1

25m of PF100 Sat cable for £14.65 (choose Amazon option on the right)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philex-27636R25-Black-Digital-Satellite/dp/B0026IAP04/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1303761785&sr=1-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭Martin_F

I've a Sagem DSI86 - it's ok - better than the Bush boxes I've had - not as good as the Humax.

I'd buy Humax / Technisat in preference if the price is close to the Sagem - The Technisat is only 10 more... bought my Sagem a month too soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭In the old days

Martin_F wrote: »
    I've a Sagem DSI86 - it's ok - better than the Bush boxes I've had - not as good as the Humax.

I'd buy Humax / Technisat in preference if the price is close to the Sagem - The Technisat is only 10 more... bought my Sagem a month too soon.
    Have the Technisat HDFS a few days now and warming to it. PVR with external USB drive, mp3,jpegs, mpeg player nice extras. No series link for recording and single tuner are main downsides but minor enough. Hard to argue with £99 on amazon + free postage + good sterling rate at the moment. OP-you realise you wont get RTE,TV3,TG4 outside your main sky box??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

cool thanks for the replies people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I have the Sagem DSI86 and I have to say, I find the EPG and channel lists to be rather awkward in comparison to the Sky HD boxes. I can't find any way to see what's on other channels without having to enter the guide (which means I have to leave whatever I'm watching) and I have to use the program guide even just to see what's on next! The guide also doesn't allow for quick navigation by typing in the number like a sky box would. Also, sometimes the return button has to be used for navigation while the exit button has to be used for other parts of navigation which is not very intuitive

My family find the generic Silvercrest box from Lidl easier to use even without the freesat EPG. Though using that would have meant they'd lose channels when transponders changed until I got a chance to retune the box.

Are there freesat boxes which have a more user-friendly EPG to navigate? It's hard to find this out when you can't walk into a bricks-and-mortar shop to try the different boxes out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Are there freesat boxes which have a more user-friendly EPG to navigate? It's hard to find this out when you can't walk into a bricks-and-mortar shop to try the different boxes out!

The new Samsung Freesat+ box seems to be getting good reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

You can't get RTE, TV3, TG4, 3e through freesat alone OP. You will need a combi box (converts and organises digital terestrial channels and Freesat channels on one menu AFAIK). There's a good discussion below on a cost effective combi box.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055792912

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I have the Technisat HDFS too and find it excellent. Rarely record TV so don't really miss the double tuner but the single tuner record facility makes it handy to pause and rewind. EPG is nice and intuitive too. Great quality for the price.

Advertisement