Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer recommendations

• 24-04-2011 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi. Looking for something with cadence, speed and all other stuff preferably with speed, average speed, distance and time on one screen simultaneously. Also the ability to upload data and then being able to compare multiple records of the same route. Accumulated average speed etc would be nice and also maps (on the web interface - not the unit). Oh yeah and also elevation. Assuming this would be a gps unit rather than computer. Dont need heart monotor or calories or maps on unit (or colour display). Would love to spend as little as possible (less than €250) - any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You want a Garmin, which will come with heart rate anyway. HR is a lot more worthwhile than cadence, grade and most of the other numbers you will find on a computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

blorg wrote: »
    You want a Garmin, which will come with heart rate anyway. HR is a lot more worthwhile than cadence, grade and most of the other numbers you will find on a computer.

Why? Not being funny but what do you do with the heart rate info? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

aquanaut wrote: »
    Why? Not being funny but what do you do with the heart rate info? Thanks
    The effort required to maintain you cadence will vary with wind speed/direction, hilliness, and fatigue. The effort required to maintain a specific heart rate should be more consistent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I view Heart rate the same as MPG in my car, the higher the BPM the more fuel I am using. I have based all my training so far on heart rate, speed and endurance just come naturally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

As others have suggested it is great for quantifying perceived efforts, working out your limits, and pacing. A hell of a lot more useful than anything else a bike computer will tell you (other than power, which is in a different ballpark of expense.)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

Nice one - actually that makes sense as the other day I struggled with a head wind that lowered my speed even though I was giving it thong! Im assuming no-one really sells 2nd hand 500's so better get saving! Thanks everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

CRC just matched handtecs price on the garmin edge 500 bundle @ €220
    roll on payday:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

murph226 wrote: »
    CRC just matched handtecs price on the garmin edge 500 bundle @ €220
    roll on payday:D

i got mine through a pricematch on evans cycles http://www.evanscycles.com/

(just in case you dont want to use CRC) - CRC wernt doing pricematch when i got mine so got free postage that way at handtec price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

If the op doesnt mind what about one with maps? I dont think the 500 does them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sorely tempted to buy an Edge in advance of the WW200. Can't afford it, but sure...

Advertisement