Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of buying in Clonsilla

Options
  • 24-04-2011 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I got the same problem. I want to buy house in clonsilla too. However, some people told me clonsilla area is not safe.

I want to know that limewlawn, clonsilla road and around clonsilla train station are safe? can you give me advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I have lived in Clonsilla since 1983 and I think it's a good area. I am living near Clonsilla train station since 1991 and unless I got a house with a seaview in Dalkey I wouldn't move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

If you plan on having kids, the schools are not great in that area. They were ok about 15 years ago, but the standard has really dropped. Its something to seriously consider. Alot of places in Dublin are great to live in for yourself but if you have to factor in a family and children, they can be a nightmare.

Clonsilla is basically the same as Finglas as far as Northside goes.

If your not from Dublin, it might be better to live outside of Dublin? Lots of nicer towns in the likes of Kildare or Meath with better reputations and nicer to bring up a family.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Well Blanchardstown isnt Clonsilla, neither is laurel Lodge for that matter....

Anyway,
    I've lived in Clonsilla my whole life and most area's are fine.

If you are unsure of a particular area feel free to pm me OP'er and i'll give you the low down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Head over to the D15 forum and ask this question. You are sure to get a lot of helpful responses.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=993

Personally I would recommend Clonsilla as an area to live in. Lots of great parks in the area, close enough to walk to the Draiocht theatre and also close to the biggest public library in the country.

What part of Clonsilla are you thinking of?
    Some of the better estates would be Portersgate, Charnwood, Limelawn, Sorrel, Lambourne, Castlefield, The Village Porterstown.

The village is fine, has a Spar & a chemist. Not a whole lot - but quiet.

Public transport is good. Buses to town are regular and Clonsilla Train Station is convenient.

Just to add, I personally think 275k is mad money for a house in Clonsilla. I would advice to rent in the area before parting with that amount of money. The prices of houses are not going to increase and will only decrease. It gives you time to decide what part you would like to invest in. Especially since you are not familar with the area.

The only real way to find out is to rent there yourself..use the public facilities and shops yourself. Find out how safe you feel walking out and about etc.

• Advertisement

Just to add, I personally think 275k is mad money for a house in Clonsilla.

Eh well to be honest 275k isnt that bad depending on what part of Clonsilla the OP was looking at.

Slattsy wrote: »
    Eh well to be honest 275k isnt that bad depending on what part of Clonsilla the OP was looking at.

One word: Recession

One word: Recession

The 'recession' has nowt to do with it imp, if for example this particular house was valued between 500-600k five or so years ago, then surely 275k (area depending) is good value.

My view is that if its a nice area, and the OP is happy with this, then 275k in a 'recession' for living in Clonsilla is a good bit of business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Lambourne is very nice quite area to live in, near train station/canals/village.

Slattsy wrote: »
    The 'recession' has nowt to do with it imp, if for example this particular house was valued between 500-600k five or so years ago, then surely 275k (area depending) is good value.

My view is that if its a nice area, and the OP is happy with this, then 275k in a 'recession' for living in Clonsilla is a good bit of business.

Sure its someones business if they pay 275k for a house in Clonsilla, doesnt mean its good value when the prices are clearly decreasing. If you can prove to me the prices will increase tomorrow, then I will rest my case, but I doubt so.

• Advertisement

What part of Clonsilla are you thinking of?
    Some of the better estates would be Portersgate, Charnwood, Limelawn, Sorrel, Lambourne, Castlefield, The Village Porterstown.

St. Mochtas has a good reputation too.

Just to add, I personally think 275k is mad money for a house in Clonsilla. I would advice to rent in the area before parting with that amount of money. The prices of houses are not going to increase and will only decrease. It gives you time to decide what part you would like to invest in. Especially since you are not familar with the area.

The only real way to find out is to rent there yourself..use the public facilities and shops yourself. Find out how safe you feel walking out and about etc.

275k is figure that was quoted by the OP - 6 years ago!!!! It is of no relevance now to the thread.

This thread was resurrected by someone looking to know about Limelawn.

Sure you try convincing people that. Talk about calling the kettle black. Its much the same. Definitely no Dalkey.

Clonsilla is definitely no Dalkey.

Clonsilla is definitely no Finglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Sure you try convincing people that. Talk about calling the kettle black. Its much the same. Definitely no Dalkey.

Yeah it's no London either. Why are you arbitrarily dropping place names left right and centre :confused:

Have you lived in Finglas?
    Have you lived in Clonsilla?

Specifically where have you lived in Clonsilla?

Wow, I never knew Finglas had a train service like Clonsilla.

I also never knew that Finglas was situated right beside the largest public library in Ireland. Gosh this is all news to me!

Magneticimpulse, maybe you could enlighten me further as to the the similarities between Clonsilla and Finglas?

PS> Quoting crime reports from Clonsilla to highlight similarities between Finglas and Clonsilla is a poor indictment of Finglas, IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Thread split from 6 year old thread.

Large number of off-topic posts deleted.

Folks can we keep it on topic?

Victor wrote: »
    Thread split from 6 year old thread.

Large number of off-topic posts deleted.

Folks can we keep it on topic?

Was expecting that !

I want to know that limewlawn, clonsilla road and around clonsilla train station are safe? can you give me advice.

Very safe.

Limelawn is a good estate.

However, be aware that Limelawn is not in the catchment area for the school across the road to the estate. Mountview would be the catchment school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If you plan on having kids, the schools are not great in that area. They were ok about 15 years ago, but the standard has really dropped. ....

Where are you getting that information from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

If you plan on having kids, the schools are not great in that area. They were ok about 15 years ago, but the standard has really dropped. Its something to seriously consider. Alot of places in Dublin are great to live in for yourself but if you have to factor in a family and children, they can be a nightmare.

If your not from Dublin, it might be better to live outside of Dublin? Lots of nicer towns in the likes of Kildare or Meath with better reputations and nicer to bring up a family.

lol having lived in Both, Clonsilla is Dalkey compared to Finglas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Lived in Limelawn for 2 years.
    My housemate drove a taxi which got broken into regularly when it was sitting outside the house - guess they thought it would have some cash in it.. My own car was also stolen from right outside in the driveway aswell.

Also had to put up with the hell of trying to get out of the estate every morning because of people abandoning their cars at the exit of the estate, so they could deliver their kids to the school across the road. Dunno if that has been sorted yet or not - maybe someone else can advise..

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭lil-ms-vodka

Have lived in the Castlefield estate since it was built 12yrs ago. Never had any problems with the area. As far as schools go there no diff to anywhere else i would think. Handy for public transport & shops ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭alibaba12

Have lived in clonsilla since 86 and apart from the odd breakin, we havent had any real trouble.

My folks live in Castlefield and yes there have been a few cars broken into and my brothers car was stolen however I dont feel it to be any less safe than any other area around.

As for analogy that is like finglas - fact of is it some parts of finglas are nice some parts arent! same in clonsilla and all of Ireland for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I'd guess there isn't anywhere in Dublin that hasn't had a cars stolen at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Huntstown is nice and I never had any problems living there when I was renting.
    It's got a great bus service, local shops/ church / community centre, and is a nice walk (15-20 mins) from the shopping centre. I live very close to it still and love the bungalows in Huntstown, would buy there myself.
    I have not heard anything bad about the other areas you mentioned, but i've not lived in them.
    Nowhere is completely safe. Your car could be nicked in foxrock or blanch. A good alarm system & anti 'bump' door llocks and i reckon you'd would be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I dont want to be rude, finglas has alot of council estates.
    Clonsilla is much better ,safer.ITS a good idea,get a good alarm system ,lock for the car if you are buying anywhere in dublin.
    TRY not to buy close to a large council estate .
    I know people who live in finglas ,and are very happy to live there.
    AS far as i know most of the houses in clonsilla are private, non council
    houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

riclad wrote: »
    I dont want to be rude, finglas has alot of council estates.
    Clonsilla is much better ,safer.ITS a good idea,get a good alarm system ,lock for the car if you are buying anywhere in dublin.
    TRY not to buy close to a large council estate .
    I know people who live in finglas ,and are very happy to live there.
    AS far as i know most of the houses in clonsilla are private, non council
    houses.

Using your analogy of council estates, Clonsilla is beside a big council estate area.

D15 mega thread about anti-social problems http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056479220

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

The D.15 mega thread is there because there is a sense of community in D.15, to let people be aware if a certain silver van acting suspiciously or bogus callers are doing the rounds.
    Not because it's the worst place in Dublin to live with anti-social behaviour.

Advertisement