Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swifts need our help

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

Chisler2 wrote: »
    I spoke with local birders at the Feile at Turlough last weekend. They were doubtful that swifts would nest outside urban settings. Having watched clouds of bats feeding over Melbourne Australia evenings, attracted by the swarms of insects which in turn were attracted by the street-lights along the Yarra, I wondered what you thought? :confused: That kind of concentration of insect food combined with high-enough nesting-sites are not available in rural settings.

Those guys don't know their swifts! Swifts nest in urban settings because that's where they have learnt to find nest sites. Prior to that they were tree hole and cliff nesters. There are still cliff nesting colonies in Ireland with two in Fermanagh and one on the north coast of County Antrim

Here's a pair that nest over 5km from the nearest excellent food source Lough Neagh. 100s can be seen feeding over lakes head in to the wind.
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/H+Clements/@54.7197587,-6.1691094,17132m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x4861ac1160e3ffb7:0x2338af5a7d04cd0f

Many swifts can bee seen flying cross country to get food. Every time I go over the hills in to Belfast I see feeding parties of swifts

Swifts are now the fastest European bird in level flight 111.6kmh / 69.3mph which means a wee trip to find food is nothing to them.

The travel from west Africa to the UK is a wee jolly for them. A swift did the journey in 5.5 days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Chisler2

Those guys don't know their swifts! Swifts nest in urban settings because that's where they have learnt to find nest sites. Prior to that they were tree hole and cliff nesters. There are still cliff nesting colonies in Ireland with two in Fermanagh and one on the north coast of County Antrim

Here's a pair that nest over 5km from the nearest excellent food source Lough Neagh. 100s can be seen feeding over lakes head in to the wind.
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/H+Clements/@54.7197587,-6.1691094,17132m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x4861ac1160e3ffb7:0x2338af5a7d04cd0f

Many swifts can bee seen flying cross country to get food. Every time I go over the hills in to Belfast I see feeding parties of swifts

Swifts are now the fastest European bird in level flight 111.6kmh / 69.3mph which means a wee trip to find food is nothing to them.

The travel from west Africa to the UK is a wee jolly for them. A swift did the journey in 5.5 days!!

AMAZING figures, amazing little birds! Thank you so much. I was feeling discouraged and would settle for the ubiquitous house-martins which seem to be thriving but will get swift boxes up.

brief fight over a nest box - only 16 to choose from!

Some people have fantastic luck when attracting swifts.

Last April John Young in Brookborough, County Fermanagh, N Ireland put up three Schwegler, German made, swift boxes. Within weeks he had two pairs. One pair bred and the other pair were probably too young.

This year two pairs returned and three singles soon arrived. As of last night all singles have got mates. Three pairs are on eggs.

Five pairs is amazing to achieve so quickly.

He now has three pairs of house martins building under the swift boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

Some people have fantastic luck when attracting swifts.

Last April John Young in Brookborough, County Fermanagh, N Ireland put up three Schwegler, German made, swift boxes. Within weeks he had two pairs. One pair bred and the other pair were probably too young.

This year two pairs returned and three singles soon arrived. As of last night all singles have got mates. Three pairs are on eggs.

Five pairs is amazing to achieve so quickly.

He now has three pairs of house martins building under the swift boxes.

Great work!!!!!

• Advertisement

Two 2-day old swift chicks being fed this morning

Some swift videos from this morning

3 day old chick getting fed

bangers then a nervous swift comes in for a look

my own springwatch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

We usually have quite a few swifts around the garden and surrounding bog/fields but not one this year so far. Went to mass in town this morning and 9 were flying over the carpark and adjoining school. I take it they are going for a city break this summer. :)

flying low would indicate they are nesting in the school

Have you ever thought of putting up nest boxes on your house?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

flying low would indicate they are nesting in the school

Have you ever thought of putting up nest boxes on your house?

If I put up any more houses for birds, mammals or insects around my house I'm going to have to ask them for a contribution towards the property tax! :D

Nothing nests for as long as swifts! Guaranteed three months of activity dawn to dusk

editing the post to give more times

sunrise 04.48
    feeding rates under eave box 9 - 3 11-day old chicks
    1st leaves at 04.41 2nd 04.53. 05.19, 05.22, one broods, 06.12, one broods other leaves 06.21, other leaves 06.36, 06.54, 07.10, one broods leaves at 07.43, 07.55, 08.20 broods until 08.42, 09.03 stays to brood, 09.48 broods, 10.42 both leave 10.48, 11.26 broods, 11.39, 12.19, 12.26, 13.07 broods, 13.25, 14.34 broods, 14.45 broods until 15.01, 15.37 broods until 15.54, 16.07 broods until 16.18, 16.53 broods until 17.49, 17.51 broods until 18.06,
    feeding rates under eave box 1 back - 2 3-day old chicks. One adult always stays
    1st leaves at 04.44. 05.22, 05.57, 06.38, 07.13, one broods other leaves at 07.22, 07.57, 08.43, 09.26, 10.04, 10.30 one broods other leaves at 10.40, 11.20, 11.53, 12.30, 13.04, 14.40, 15.45, 16.48, 17.47,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Just to let you know, our local national school Green schools committee with the help of Swinford Tidy Towns and under the guidance Swift conservationats in GMIT Castlebar, have installed 2 swift box's. There is 1 camera in one of the nests in each box, and is connected to a TV in the classroom. We hope to have live streaming set up on the tidy towns site for next year.

The box's were installed 2 weeks ago and calling sounds are playing since. I will be setting up a page for the green schools swift project when I get some more photos. I'll update here again (following thread).

I was watching them last night (school 20M behind me) and there were about 20/24 flying around. Tried to get a few shots of them this morning but I didn't have the 300mm lens on, only the 50mm, couldn't focus on them right. Them buggers are fast!! :D

MAY_8367.jpg

MAY_8364.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

Great work, hopefully you are rewarded with swifts!

Well done to all involved

Non breeders are here in large numbers now so there should be some interest in the boxes.

As school is now finished for the summer \I would recommend playing the calls all day, 05.30 to dark, until the end of July when most swifts will be gone

Well done to all involved

Non breeders are here in large numbers now so there should be some interest in the boxes.

As school is now finished for the summer \I would recommend playing the calls all day, 05.30 to dark, until the end of July when most swifts will be gone

Playing 24/7 at the moment. Being left in place until August I think. The guys from GMIT are really passionate about the project!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CYHSN

Saw 2 starlings today squeezing out of one of the swift boxes I roosting tonight, and straw/twigs in some of the other boxes too, going to be a noisy couple of months :o

Oh no. Not good. Did swifts use them last year? Sounds like the entrance hole is too big. We now know swifts can access holes 29mm high and 55mm wide.

I would cover the holes with duct tape until the swifts are back and put a starling baffle inside the nest box.

Is the entrance hole in the front or in the floor?

• Advertisement

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Just to let you know, our local national school Green schools committee with the help of Swinford Tidy Towns and under the guidance Swift conservationats in GMIT Castlebar, have installed 2 swift box's. There is 1 camera in one of the nests in each box, and is connected to a TV in the classroom. We hope to have live streaming set up on the tidy towns site for next year.

The box's were installed 2 weeks ago and calling sounds are playing since. I will be setting up a page for the green schools swift project when I get some more photos. I'll update here again (following thread).

I was watching them last night (school 20M behind me) and there were about 20/24 flying around. Tried to get a few shots of them this morning but I didn't have the 300mm lens on, only the 50mm, couldn't focus on them right. Them buggers are fast!! :D

MAY_8367.jpg

MAY_8364.jpg

Hard to believe how fast time has gone! Nearly time for the Swifts to appear.

Looking for some advice guys. We need to go about setting up the live streaming form the cameras installed in each nesting box. Cables are in as far as the tv (which was temporary) There is trunking there with data point connections which go back to the (server I think) in main office. We need to link up to some service provider I'm thinking? All I know how to do is embed youtube and vimeo videos but have never done live streaming.

Oh no. Not good. Did swifts use them last year? Sounds like the entrance hole is too big. We now know swifts can access holes 29mm high and 55mm wide.

I would cover the holes with duct tape until the swifts are back and put a starling baffle inside the nest box.

Is the entrance hole in the front or in the floor?

No we had no swifts enter them, but they flew very close to them and possible made contact on the outside of the boxes last year when playing the lure.

We usedhere is a photo.

I hate evicting them out now, but what size would you recommend the baffle to be?

I remember that photo.

The way forward is to cover the holes with duct tape, original is best, until April 27th. Starlings will have moved on by then and have their own chicks. My breeders returned last year between 2nd and 7th of May for the first birds and 4th to 17th for the second of the pair.

As you saw birds last year there is a good chance you will get breeders this year. Keep playing the calls from the first week of May.

I now put the entrance hole in the bottom edge of the front which makes cutting it out easier and easier to put in a starling baffle

I forgot to mention that swifts and starlings are enemies. Starlings will catch and ground swifts

Starling is roosting again but in a different box tonight, anyway thanks for the advice I'll be giving them a clean out tomorrow and sealing them up until the end of April, its a shame to be getting rid of them but here's hoping that some swifts like them just as much.

Its the best you can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Swifts arrived in Harolds Cross Dublin last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

I saw a swift in Balbriggan last night too. Great to see them again.

Our Swifts are back again today in Swinford, Mayo. Seems to be bigger numbers this year (hopefully). Will hope to get some video of them (only found out there were 3 nests in a tower beside me last year) hopefully more residents move in!

• Advertisement

Few minutes of video I got earlier. Hope to get set up right for better shots

Advertisement