Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IE9 and ads

Options
  • 25-04-2011 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.

Sorry if this is the wrong place.

I updated to Explorer 9, and now I have constant advertising pop-ups on boards.

Unfortunately I can't close them, and I can't get rid of them. They're like a floating page on the page.

Most of them are for the RSA.

This is what I'm talking about; it dissolves or moves when you go near it with the mouse.

156461.jpg

Any help is appreciated.

And for the anti IE brigade, I don't get on well with firefox or chrome, so I'm not too inclined to not using IE.

Thanks folks.

D.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

There's your problem...IE9 ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

IE9 is Beta, is it not? Anyway, I know you hate to hear it, but Chrome or Firefox are your best bet. I personally found Chrome faster and more reliable.

IE has always had problems with displaying of sites and I guess Boards has fallen victim. Not sure if its something the lads can fix, but im sure they will look into it. They are not even popups, but on a normal working browser you will see those ads are bottom right graphic/images. Boards has no popups.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Fey! wrote: »
    I updated to Explorer 9, and now I have constant advertising pop-ups on boards.

Click little gear top right hand corner of IE9 page:
    • Internet Options
    • Privacy (menu)
    • Scroll down to Pop-up Blocker
    • Check "Turn on Pop-up Blocker"
    • Scroll down to Blocking Level
    • Medium works for me, but you may want to change it to: "High: Block all pop-ups"
    • Apply and OK... and close everything.
    Also, if you have selected Google to be your default search engine for IE9:
    • Click little wrench in tool bar
    • Options (Toolbar Options)
    • Tools
    • Check Pop-up blocker
    • Click Save ... and close everything.

I normally use FF4.0, and have IE9 for MS updates, but am a bit redundant blocking pop-ups. In addition to the above blocks, I also use KIS2011 pop-up blocking, so I never see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

And for the anti IE brigade, I don't get on well with firefox or chrome, so I'm not too inclined to not using IE.
    How about Opera?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Thanks folks.

It isn't doing it today, and I haven't made any changes.

I'm a bit technically retarded, so I don't get on well with changing the software I'm used to!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Thanks folks.

It isn't doing it today, and I haven't made any changes.

I'm a bit technically retarded, so I don't get on well with changing the software I'm used to!
    Fingers crossed it doesn't just lull you into a false sense of security and come back again tomorrow.

Advertisement