Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Device to detect underground gas and water mains??

• 25-04-2011 12:02am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Is there a device that I can hire out to detect underground mains gas a water pipes in my garden?

Just so that I know exactly where both pipes are located,with regards the blocklayer who will be digging up and redoing the driveway.

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

CAT - cable avoidance tool. Sam hire and the likes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Davy wrote: »
    CAT - cable avoidance tool. Sam hire and the likes.

Thankyou.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭Max Moment

Generally CAT Scanners will only locate cables or metal pipes with a signal running through them i.e power cables, eircom etc.

If both the water and gas pipes are fairly new they will more than likely be of the plastic variety. The CAT scanner will not pick these up.

Ideally, if the pipes were metal, you could also rent out a signal generator 'Genny' which clips onto one end of the pipe and induces a signal into it. The CAT can then be used to trace the pipe.

The only other way I have traced plastic gas or water piping is by locating them by digging trial pits along the run of the service to pin point the line of the service. Or on large developments by using GPR (Ground Penetrating Radar) which would work out very expensive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Max Moment wrote: »
    Generally CAT Scanners will only locate cables or metal pipes with a signal running through them i.e power cables, eircom etc.

If both the water and gas pipes are fairly new they will more than likely be of the plastic variety. The CAT scanner will not pick these up.

Ideally, if the pipes were metal, you could also rent out a signal generator 'Genny' which clips onto one end of the pipe and induces a signal into it. The CAT can then be used to trace the pipe.

The only other way I have traced plastic gas or water piping is by locating them by digging trial pits along the run of the service to pin point the line of the service. Or on large developments by using GPR (Ground Penetrating Radar) which would work out very expensive.

The gas pipe in my garden is the standard yellow plastic gas pipe,and the water pipe is heavy guage black plastic pipe (hydrodare I think).

I remember seeing both pipes exposed when the builder was building the house and front porch,but I cannot for the life of me remember which way they run up the garden,driveway and down the side of the house.:(

Advertisement