Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Board Advice

Options
  • 25-04-2011 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hows it going. I am going to be spending the summer in Hossegor and plan to do a lot of surfing while im there.

I have surfed a few times before and took to it pretty well, no problem getting up on the board and staying there. Of course on a funboard.

I dont know what board to get myself in France. I know its best for a beginner to start off on a long board but I dont want to spend money on a board then a month later need an upgrade. What would be the best board for a relative beginner that plans to spend a solid 3 months surfing?

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

Getting a longboard doe's not necessitate an upgrade in a months time or even anytime.
    Longboards are not a beginner's board, however their larger volume does make it easier to start out on.

If you're starting than get a reasonable beginner's board that'll facilitate learning on. You mentioned a funboard, thats along the right lines.

Just 'cause its Hossegor don't go thinking its gonna be all shortboards getting air and 360's like the magazine coverage. You want to be surfing when there and not spending three months struggling on some toothpick like javelin sunk beneath you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 IrishRottie

thanks i appreciate the reply. im not predicting myself to turn into kelly slater. but the fact is i will be doing a lot of surfing in a place with great surf.

it boils down to do i get something for a beginner and potentially need to upgrade in a month or twos time or do i get something which requires more skill and work on using that board only for the whole summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Nickfro

How much are you looking to spend? roughly

edit: or will you be renting?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Don't bring sand to the beach - it's hossoger and there are lots of boards you buy there second hand. When you get there get some lessons and ask the instructors what you need. There waves there are very different to here more of a shore break in sport, not sure about great longboard waves, angles as one or two... I'd get one out there second hand and have fun. Also take in to accound how are you traveling will you have a car.... and then there's the whole getting out the back with a long board it won't be easy. If you are young light and sporry then a short board might be better even one of the bic 6-10 that you will be able to duck dive but won't snape in the shore break as eassily...

Advertisement