Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OU Fees Assistance/grant/installment payment question.

Options
  • 25-04-2011 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, so I've more or less settled on doing an OU course but I do have some concerns about course costs. Is there any kind of assistance available? Can you pay in installments or is everyone here paying up front? And is there a chance to apply for a grant of some kind?

Any information will be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You can pay in installments through the OUSBA (OU Student Budget Account). No grants, but most if not all, undergrad courses count for tax relief from the Revenue Commissioners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mimmi

Last budget changed regulations for Tax Relief - first €1k of part-time fees not eligible. The governmment doesn't actually do much to help part-time third levels study does it?!!:mad:

I think the new regulation will start this autumn, not 100% sure, don't think the Revenues website makes it clear either, just thought I'd warn you.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

mimmi wrote: »
    Last budget changed regulations for Tax Relief - first €1k of part-time fees not eligible. The governmment doesn't actually do much to help part-time third levels study does it?!!:mad:

I think the new regulation will start this autumn, not 100% sure, don't think the Revenues website makes it clear either, just thought I'd warn you.

Are you sure about this mimmi?
    The information on the revenue.ie site hasn't changed, the citizensadvice website mentions that there were changes in the 2011 budget but doesn't mention any impact on tax relief for part-time study.
    But there are a few accountant websites that mention the same information as mimmi.

I've been searching about for some more info on this and it looks like the changes mimmi mentions were in the original Finance Bill but were opposed by Lowry and Healy-Rae, so I reckon they were probably dropped from the final Budget, that might explain the differing information on it. Never thought I would be thankful to those two gobsh1tes for anything, but there you go!
    Still probably best to check with the Tax Office anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 viccih

Can you pay in installments or is everyone here paying up front?

BlastedGlute - I have studied for a BSc (Hons) Psychology with the OU for 3 years now - I have always used the OUSBA in which you can pay in instalments over a 7 month period ( This can be quite expensive if your looking at the 60 point courses! Which at some point in a degree course are compulsary) You might want to check with the OUSBA if they are accepting new applications (for finance options) I only got accepted this year as I am a previous 'customer'... With regard to grants etc unfortunatly there is nothing available from the Irish Government at all (wether your working or receiving social assistance ) not even the price of a pencil.

I wish you the best of luck with your studies - set aside the financial strain,this is a great institution to learn with!.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

Thanks for the information folks. It's proved very helpful and insightful so far!

To fish even further, I was in the British Army for some time. And I'm going back in by the end of the year. Do you think this and the obvious geographical change will allow me to get cheaper or assisted payment for courses with the OU?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 viccih

Checkout the mod website... depending on what subject your looking to take the Army do a range of internships where they give you in house training ( very good and well recognised training too.) :)

Advertisement