Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PS3 Connection Problem

• 25-04-2011 2:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭

Having major issue connecting PS3 to Internet via wireless.

It is just not having any of it using the "Easy" option so I tried manually entering all the Info & it eventually did connect. It let me connect two times after that but it will not connect wirelessley no matter what I do since.

It will connect straight away using the RJ45 cable but I need to get connecting over wireless.

While connected via cable I done a firmware update (PS3) to latest but it made no difference to the wireless failing to connect.

This is a new box & I'm plum out of ideas as to where to go with it.

Any ideas?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Since I last posted I brought the PS3 down to my house (It's belonging to my friends kid) and tried to connect it to my wireless network, guess what? it connected straight away. I've disconnected & reconnected numerous times on my network since without issue. I am thinking the issue is with my friends router?

I brought the PS3 back to my friends house & tried to connect through wireless but again it failed.

Here's where I'm a little confused,

I factory reset his router & the PS3 connected straight away.

Disconnected the PS3 and god damn it has refused to connect since.

I factory reset his router once again and the PS3 connected straight away.

So it appears that if I reset the router the PS3 will connect but only once. I have to reset the router each time the PS3 gets disconnected.

What's that all about? There's one wireless desktop and one wireless laptop in the house too and they both connect without any issue every time.

His setup is on cable (NTL\UPC) and it has a separate modem and router. The black modem and white Netgear router.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Ciano35

The playstation network is down at the moment, and has been for a few days. Wait until it comes back and try again, maybe it will work.

http://ie.playstation.com/psn/news/articles/detail/item369507/Update-on-PSN-service-outages/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭Chefburns

Its a long shot but maybe your router is old. Some older routers work on a wave band different to newer ones. There are several standards such as 802.11G and 802.11N and these are different types of signals. I'm not sure what ones the PlayStation likes, you should find out what type of router you have and then check the PS3 owners manual. I have a router that is 802.11G and my PS3 works fine but i have the older 60GB model.

Also on a side note the PSN is down due to another hack so even if you do get it running you won't be able to do much!!!:D

EDIT: also some factory settings on routers actually disable games consoles from connecting to them so they don't hog all the bandwidth my router had that as one of the default settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

mine also doesnt work

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

How do you normally connect to the wifi? Does it have a password etc? Off the top of my head I'm thinking something like a password issue with the router, mac address filtering by the router, DHCP issues, perhaps a very small number allocated etc.

Try rebooting the modem/router if nothing log into it and turn off the WPA or WEP, try using it with no other pc, iphone etc. connected incase its a dhcp issue. I don't have a PS3 so don't know the internal ins and outs but these general networking troubleshooters may help!

• Advertisement

The router is a Netgear WRG614 (v6 I think) B and G no N.

Stinicker wrote: »
    How do you normally connect to the wifi? Does it have a password etc? Off the top of my head I'm thinking something like a password issue with the router, mac address filtering by the router, DHCP issues, perhaps a very small number allocated etc.

Try rebooting the modem/router if nothing log into it and turn off the WPA or WEP, try using it with no other pc, iphone etc. connected incase its a dhcp issue. I don't have a PS3 so don't know the internal ins and outs but these general networking troubleshooters may help!

I have tried that Stinicker but thanks for the input :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Using a laptop or pc with a wireless card download and run a program called netstumbler (on Windows) or istumbler (on Mac).

Run it in the room where the PS3 will be played and you will see info on the wireless networks that can be picked up in that area.

As well as signal strength you will see a column for the channel the networks are being broadcast on.

Make sure the signal is decent and there is no other networks on the same channel as the one you want to connect with. The wireless channels overlap too so channel 11 will interfere with channel 10 and 12 (to a lesser extent than with 11 but it may cause problems).

Log into the router and change the channels to free ones (make sure its not on auto) until you get a good signal. It will be trial and error and one or more devices may not detect the network on the new channels so be sure you have an ethernet cable so you can physically connect to the router if required.

I already know the channel and have tried different ones.

The signal strength is 87% constant so I doubt it's an issue?

The PS3 sees the network every time and does connect everytime the router is factory reset but will never connect a second time unless the router is reset again.

I think I will change out the router at this stage to see if it for some other reason is the culprit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

It would be worth checking for other networks on the same channel anyway but it obviously not the issue here.

What other devices are on the network.

Is it possible there is another device acting as a dhcp server.

Describe the full network setup with model numbers of any routing devices if possible.

I would try disabling any firewalls on the router(s) and make sure to try it as the only device connected to the router.

Have you changed the default name (SSID) of the wireless network.

Are there any firmware updates for the router.

• Advertisement

hearny wrote: »
    It would be worth checking for other networks on the same channel anyway but it obviously not the issue here.

What other devices are on the network.

Is it possible there is another device acting as a dhcp server.

Describe the full network setup with model numbers of any routing devices if possible.

I would try disabling any firewalls on the router(s) and make sure to try it as the only device connected to the router.

Have you changed the default name (SSID) of the wireless network.

Are there any firmware updates for the router.

There is one Desktop, one laptop, an iPhone and an iPod Touch using the network. I have tried it with none of the above connected. I have disabled all security & Firewall temporarily but have not renamed the SSID:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

PS3 users just got pawned.

xbox360 FT-console-Win

jme2010 wrote: »
    PS3 users just got pawned.

xbox360 FT-console-Win

Where do users like you find the time to post such useless and unhelpful childishness?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Where do users like you find the time to post such useless and unhelpful childishness?

Where the rest of us get time to do it......at work! :D

Advertisement