Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get back into reading

Options
  • 25-04-2011 2:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,
    I used to be a big reader when I was younger and could get through about 2 books a week. However, a few years ago I got so busy with studying for my leaving cert that I just stopped reading altogether. In the last few months,I've found that interest in reading coming back and I'd like to get back into reading. I've made a few attempts but always find my interest focusing on something else after a while. I really want to get back to reading as it's something I used to really love so I'm wondering if anyone here could give me any advice on how to get back into reading after a few years? Your advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭b.o.m.d.a.s.

i recommend you get a copy of "Birds of Prey" by Wilbur Smith.

i was a great reader too but stopped reading books for over 8 years, then a friend gave me this book, i have now read this year 13/15 novels by this same writer, Wilbur smith.

only problem with his books is they only last a few days...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭the west wing

When you did read what type of books did you read? We may be able to give better suggestions based on what you like.

On how to get back reading, my advice is to start with short manageable books that aren't too taxing but enjoyable. There is noting worse then getting bogged down in a long book when you have just started reading again. Also another way to get back reading is through short stories. For me I loved both this and this. Some great stories in these!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

A nice short book might be good to start off with. I remember picking up a book with short stories in it and it got me back into reading, I gradually started getting books with more pages and stuck at reading them and wasn't getting distracted or loosing interest :) I was very proud of myself after I read War and Peace which is a must read in my case.. Amazing book!

Just start off small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 LaughingGear

When you did read what type of books did you read? We may be able to give better suggestions based on what you like.

On how to get back reading, my advice is to start with short manageable books that aren't too taxing but enjoyable. There is noting worse then getting bogged down in a long book when you have just started reading again. Also another way to get back reading is through short stories. For me I loved both this and this. Some great stories in these!

Just to give you an idea of some of the books I've read: A Hearbreaking Work Of Staggering Genius, Kafka on The Shore, High Fidelity, Band of Brothers, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, American Gods, The Black Dahlia, The Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy, American Psycho, Into The Wild, Animal Farm and the last book I read was Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon. I would like to read more Non-fiction, short story collections and maybe even a few plays but really I'm looking for recommendations and advice at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Just to give you an idea of some of the books I've read: A Hearbreaking Work Of Staggering Genius, Kafka on The Shore, High Fidelity, Band of Brothers, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, American Gods, The Black Dahlia, The Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy, American Psycho, Into The Wild, Animal Farm and the last book I read was Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon. I would like to read more Non-fiction, short story collections and maybe even a few plays but really I'm looking for recommendations and advice at the moment.

Maybe start off with something similar to what you've listed above, as they are more guarenteed to hold your attention. Once you're back into reading, then I would suggest branching out into different genres.

Try the rest of the series by Douglas Adams, it's pretty entertaining. If you enjoyed Animal Farm, 1984 is a must read. Try A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgress, A Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks or Crash by JG Ballard.

These were teh first ones that popped into my mind, while reading your list. (Slightly dystopian/nihalist slant there-please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Many apologies in advance if you read any of my recommendations and absolutly hate them. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I would like to read more Non-fiction, short story collections

Try Shah of Shahs by Kapuscinski. Really interesting and really entertaining as well as being a short read.

I'd second The West Wing re For Esme With Love and Squalor and the Granta American short fiction books.

Start off small and entertaining. I think it's all about getting yourself in the frame of mind for reading. You'll eventually get out of the 'bad' habits of getting distracted by the tv, internet etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭ItsNoAlias

Everyone I know goes through this type of slump, that includes myself. (And I say slump because I am never as happy as when I am reading a good book with a cuppa tea).

I generally try to get back into ready by picking something really simple to read, light fiction or something for "kids" like Harry Potter.

That or I grab a "meaty" comic like The Sandmam by Gaimen or anything by Moore. Generally this will spark my interest in other books, just because they intergrate so many other writers idea's.

Advertisement