Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Continental Drift as pressure builds North - sunny and warm to continue

Options
  • 25-04-2011 2:58am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

........indefinately. Very unusual and if this was the depth of Winter serious cold would occur. But it is not so warm and sunny will have to suffice. Mostly Southeast or East winds and a few showers at times. The vast majority of the next 2 weeks or so will be sunny and warm. Typically high teen temperatures, at times heading into the low twenties. Really very nice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

so_much_win.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

As an extreme weather lover I have mixed feelings about this because I'm getting married this Friday. Thunderstorms all the way from Saturday on would be my wish.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Yours sig is very inappropriate in this case darkman . . .

:D:D SUN!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I must be looking at the wrong charts.
    Looks cool and very breezy next weekend to me.
    In fact on windward coasts it will likely feel miserable
    Also some rain around esp in the South

Overall quite a poor May wkd coming up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Showers and an increasing breeze a coming. Indeed there is a lack of definite high pressure for as far as one can see out - just a slack movement from east to west then static then west to east.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GSF

RTE/ ME are predicting a total washout for Sunday but MT is a lot more optimistic in his forecast.

Are the models giving different predictions for the rainfall intensity at the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

GSF wrote: »
    RTE/ ME are predicting a total washout for Sunday but MT is a lot more optimistic in his forecast.

Are the models giving different predictions for the rainfall intensity at the weekend?

Models have been all over the place since before Easter:( - Next week has gone from Warm and dry to Cool and dry to wet and averge, bloody hopeless for someone planning holidays in the West!!:mad:

remember what happened the last few times we had sunny Aprils?

It rained all summer.........60 days in a row one of the years!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

If the weather deteriorates just when I've finished my exams I'll be devastated. My memories of the debacle that was the summer of 2007 and 2008 are still fresh in my head. 2009 and 2010 were nothing to shout about either..

Nice weather though this week, if still a little cool here along the east coast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Absolutely delighted with how things are turning out and the models showing it, if anything, warming up further later next week. And a pretty nice week in store. There will be some maybe thundery periods of rain at times later in the week but the winds will be Southeasterly with a very warm origin. And that Easterly breeze is very nice aswell. Max temperatures in the West and Northwest of 18 or 19c generally. A few degrees cooler in the East.

EDIT: Also we really do need significant rainfall to make up for the daily increasing deficit of moisture in the soil - and the dry wind is making things worse. We could be facing a drought later in the summer at this rate.

Ironically if this was Winter with this flow of air it would be extremely cold indeed!

• Advertisement

Plenty rain down South Darkman, indeed it's bucketing in Cork right now.
    Also quite cool if not cold today in that breeze!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Beautifully sunny here and warm enough with a cool breeze. I know it's raining in the South but tis not enough I tell yeh!:) It would want to be raining for a number of days to try make up for the dry spell. Still I suppose any rain is to be welcomed at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It looks like there will be showery rain in most places as the week goes on. It will be interesting to see if the east does manage to escape the rain next weekend.

Plenty rain down South Darkman, indeed it's bucketing in Cork right now.
    Also quite cool if not cold today in that breeze!

Will take more than a few mms to make up the current deficit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That easterly breeze is the only spoiler on this weather for me. I still have to wrap up in Louth though I can get away with a t-shirt in Dublin if I'm not standing around outside. I hope for Donegal's sake that they get some rain ASAP!

darkman2 wrote: »
    Beautifully sunny here and warm enough with a cool breeze. I know it's raining in the South but tis not enough I tell yeh!:) It would want to be raining for a number of days to try make up for the dry spell. Still I suppose any rain is to be welcomed at this stage.

I think your reading too many UK posts darkman. This week is worrying from a flooding point of view not drought. In fact down here in Cork we have had constant rain since yesterday. It is also freezing here!
    As for a warm Easterly next week, try a rain sodden southwesterly:D

I think your reading too many UK posts darkman. This week is worrying from a flooding point of view not drought. In fact down here in Cork we have had constant rain since yesterday. It is also freezing here!
    As for a warm Easterly next week, try a rain sodden southwesterly:D

Most of the country is still dry, soil moisture deficits are very high over most of the country, meaning the ground is very dry. Will take a lot of rain to make up for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Some really heavy bursts of rain showing up on the radar now in the SW:

skzt5k.jpg
    (image c/o met eireann)

Cork Airport on just 8c with 5.2mm rain in the hour between 2pm and 3pm.
    UPDATE: a further 4.5mm in the hour between 3pm & 4pm at Cork Airport. 4.1mm at Roches Point.
    UPDATE 17:20: A further 2.4mm at Cork Airport between 4pm & 5pm with another 4.2mm reported at Roches Point.

In complete contrast, Hazy blue clear skies here in Galway. 17c.

A lot of sferics being picked up off the SW coast over the last couple of hours.
    Latest:
    157344.JPG

Edit 19:50. Heaviest slither of rain now over N Limerick/S Clare. Shannon Apt itself only reporting 0.4mm so a really narrow band.
    Edit 20:50. Shannon reported 2.1mm between 7 & 8pm. Band of rain seems to be narrowing but still locally intense. Radar image updated to 8.30pm above

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

That smoke from the midlands has made it here now and has really reduced visibility in what was a nice clear evening.
    Never heard it on the news but the smoke was probably from the fires in Kiltullagh and Loughrea down the road...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Max temperature 8.6°C at Cork airport today. 20 mm rain in the 12 hours to 7pm.

Sherkin Island hasn't been reporting synops today, and hasn't reported on the met.ie site for a few days now.

Valentia max 13.4 °C, 3 mm rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

darkman2 wrote: »
    Very unusual and if this was the depth of Winter serious cold would occur.

Painful, isn't it? If only we got such a long spell of easterlies in winter! :mad:
    I think the last time there was was such a long spell of easterlies (ie Scandinavian high) during the winter was as long ago as February 1986.

Talk of droughts is well forgotten now.
    By this time next week, water tables will be well replenished. Indeed for the West and South we will be lucky to see a dry hour over the next few days. Truly Miserable here in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I wonder whether Min is hoping the frost and snow comes back, surely its better than this drought and life threatening fires :P
    Funny when the snow and ice was here people were on the forum constantly wanting rain back for farming sakes etc. Now the rain is equally important for farmers and to quench these fires yet I am nearly sure I just saw a tumbleweed go by on the forum. Just saying :P

Advertisement