Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with components

Options
  • 25-04-2011 3:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

hi all,im wondering whats the best air cooling solution to reach 4.5ghz-5ghz with an i5 2500k or would i have to go the water route,and if water whats the best loop for a cosmos s case?id be only be watering the cpu.im planning a new build,my first ever and so far i have cosmos s case,high power 1000w modular psu(pc world),sapphire radeon hd 5770 gpu,lg bluray optical drive,300gb wd velociraptor@10000rpm.im thinking of going with asrock p67 extreme 6,8gb gskill ripjaws x 12800u cl9 and a second hd 5770.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Noctua NH-D14
    Corsair H50/H70

Or...

This f*cker :P

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭edber2011

that is impressive allright,but would that be just blowing all the heat all over the board??:rolleyes:

@ serephucus,i dont think that susanoo will fit in my cosmos due to the side fan:(

Well the Susanoo was more of joke tbh, it's not even out yet; just a prototype. ;)

ah ok,a beast all the same.so id like to go with water then,any suggestions on best components that would suit the cosmos s??also any comment on my hardware list???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

edber2011 wrote: »
    also any comment on my hardware list???

going with a HD 5770 is daft at this stage. its very outdated and will struggle at 1080p gaming. the €126 HD5850 from pix in the bargain alert thread wipes the floor of the 5770, and is not much more expensive. you can have the best CPU in the world, and your games will still struggle to be smooth when you use that 5770.

benchmark comparison between the 2

i hope you didnt buy that WD velociraptor yet? how much is that setting you back? an SSD is much better, and probably not alot more money than that overrated HDD.

why are you getting 8gb of ram? if you're only gaming, 4gb is more than enough.

EDIT: and forget about watercooling for now. its high maintenance and a bit of a nuisance. get the Noctua NH-D14. it performs very well compared to even the best WC rigs.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    and forget about watercooling for now. its high maintenance and a bit of a nuisance. get the Noctua NH-D14. it performs very well compared to even the best WC rigs.

I beg to differ. If he has the money for it, and is interested, WC will give him far better temps than any air cooler. Does your 4.0GHz 950 go above 38 under load? I bet it does.

It's also not high maintanance. If you do it right it's not that much more complicated than an air cooler - though that can be a little more expensive I'll admit. If you have €150 to spare, the Rasa RS240 kit from Specialtech is a great one for the price.

In all honesty though, Sandy Bridge processors don't need to be water-cooled. They just don't get hot enough to justify it. If you were planning on doing your GPU as well, that'd be a different story.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    going with a HD 5770 is daft at this stage. its very outdated and will struggle at 1080p gaming. the €126 HD5850 from pix in the bargain alert thread wipes the floor of the 5770, and is not much more expensive. you can have the best CPU in the world, and your games will still struggle to be smooth when you use that 5770.

benchmark comparison between the 2

i hope you didnt buy that WD velociraptor yet? how much is that setting you back? an SSD is much better, and probably not alot more money than that overrated HDD.

why are you getting 8gb of ram? if you're only gaming, 4gb is more than enough.

EDIT: and forget about watercooling for now. its high maintenance and a bit of a nuisance. get the Noctua NH-D14. it performs very well compared to even the best WC rigs.
    hi tea bag,i was planning on a second 5770 in crossfire and have bought the velociraptor months ago.i was going to use the raptor for system and games and another hard drive for storage.im mainly going to be on fsx and have an 32inch lcd.have two pb 23inch monitors also and may get 3rd for eyefinity.my head is wrecked with all the choices of hardware.

Advertisement