Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disco bars and Night Clubs, why bother?

Options
  • 25-04-2011 3:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭

For the fellas, why bother?

Pro's. (1) There are often plenty of women so you never know, could be your night, ha, but lets be honest...
    (2)They might play a decent song? Ha, but lets be honest...and who gives a...

Cons - (1) Entry fees. All nightclubs have entry fees, majority 10euro. (2) The pints are well over priced. 5.60euro where I was last night, price range between 5euro and just over 6euro at times. Shot$ and cocktail$ are a joke. Explains those mornings you wake up wondering feeling like you're 20 short (3) Night clubs and some bars - Do any fellas listen to that shit the DJ pumps out in thier own free time? If so, whats wrong with you?!? (4) The loudness of the music. It feels like my ears are actually trickling blood at times (5) The getting in and out from the suburbs is quite the trek knowing that the odds of pulling by the looks of things are minimal, and the so called players shout "speak for yourself!". ok. (6) Trying to talk to a bird is near impossible at times, by now we should all be lip readers. (6) You have to dance like a dick.
    (7) Very, very few lads actually try it on. Of those very few pull. Most dance floors look like a school disco. Boys and girls dancing with their own mates. Then a bit of mixing but thats it. I've started to notice the amount of fellas and girls outside the bar/club, and inside, without another half when alls over. Of course theres a few pairing off but from my own sober point of view this is exceptional. Most women are rejecting or just walking away from lads who even show a slight interest which is totally fine!!!

So I guess ultimately I'm wondering is the whole ordeal worth the end result, whatever that may be for yourself - kebab and chips, a wear off some bird, a phone number, the scenic trip home in the taxi/nightlink.

Is there anything else to do on a Sat night I wonder?

For the women, all I'll say is dont leave things too late, the biology clock is ticking and when all is falling south no bloke will be there trying to pick you up.

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

guitarzero wrote: »
    For the women, all I'll say is dont leave things too late, the biology clock is ticking and when all is falling south no bloke will be there trying to pick you up.

Thanks for the advice....I'll certainly keep it in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I think you mean biological clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

More drink......

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

Cons - (1) Entry fees. All nightclubs have entry fees, majority 10euro.

I go out nearly once a week, in Galway city. I don't think I've paid in to a nightclub in over a year, and if I did it was no more than €3..

Looks like you're going to the wrong place..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

xo.mary wrote: »
    I go out nearly once a week, in Galway city. I don't think I've paid in to a nightclub in over a year, and if I did it was no more than €3..

Same with Waterford for the most part.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Chnandler Bong

Totally agree, I dont even go to nightclubs anymore and I'm 23, there a joke.

I just go to the pub earlier with 3 or 4 good friends around 7 and we have a good laugh and we are that pissed by 12:30 we dont bother with a club.

The dance-floor is full of teenagers half naked, I felt like a perv when I used to go. The drink is ****e and Nearly double the price of the pub.

I feel you're pain OP.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

I dont live in Galway. I've been to a few clubs there, one just off eyre square (feel free to correct my spelling folks), same shit, different city.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

People like dancing, people like bumping and grinding. The beer goggles makes you think every last person in there is a sexy bitch. Nothing wrong with the occasional nightclub and sure you might even get the ride.

People like dancing, people like bumping and grinding. The beer goggles makes you think every last person in there is a sexy bitch. Nothing wrong with the occasional nightclub and sure you might even get the ride.

If there were no birds at the club every disco would be dry or a gay bar. I know one lad who likes to dance, good for him:o. As for nightclubs I restate my opener.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

For the fellas, why bother?

Pro's. (1) There are often plenty of women so you never know,

yup, that's why.

• Advertisement

yup, that's why.

I was hoping my post wasnt that rhetorical but I simply cant argue.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Newsflash: Some people go out to have fun with their friends and not for the sole intention of scoring.

Don't get me wrong, I try as hard as any lad to score on nights out, but I don't regard the night as a "failure" or whatever if I don't pull :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

This song explains all, have a listen:pac:

Newsflash: Some people go out to have fun with their friends and not for the sole intention of scoring.

Don't get me wrong, I try as hard as any lad to score on nights out, but I don't regard the night as a "failure" or whatever if I don't pull :confused:

WE'HEY! Heres me with my mates in Dandys! Look at us, having the laugh there, on the dance floor acting the lad!!! We dont need women to have a good night cuz we're just having the craic, getting locked, acting the ret-ard, etc....you get my point. I dont believe you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If there were no birds at the club every disco would be dry or a gay bar. I know one lad who likes to dance, good for him:o. As for nightclubs I restate my opener.
    Eh, whats the point in saying "if there were no birds at the club?" There ARE birds at the club! Thats the whole point. Did you get shot down last night or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭johnboysligo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Horses for courses.

Went to clubs from 15 through 21 with the sole intention of having a laugh with the friends from college... Then I realised the only clubs worth going to are proper DJs or the less popular clubs that play great music..

DeBurgoes anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Yeah I don't bother with them usually...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

I like a club about once a month or so. Granted probably wouldnt enjoy it totally sober though...
    I generally prefer gaf sessions or locals playin pool/gigs etc. That said, sometimes I just want a dancefloor!

Oh, and I have never scored someone randomly in a club so that is really not the sole point for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Meeeooowwwwwww!!!!!! the claws are out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

WE'HEY! Heres me with my mates in Dandys! Look at us, having the laugh there, on the dance floor acting the lad!!! We dont need women to have a good night cuz we're just having the craic, getting locked, acting the ret-ard, etc....you get my point. I dont believe you.

Well...everyone's idea of fun is different so you can't just discard it because it's not what you like.

Anyway, for me, I enjoy clubbing with my friends. We make a whole evening out of it, getting ready etc, and just want to dance and have a laugh. I generally don't drink as much when I'm with them either, and come home with plenty of moola. All good:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Haven't been to a nightclub in years. A record I'm hoping to maintain.

Hate the ****holes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

SomeFool wrote: »
    More drink......

Oh wait, I have to go to the bathroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

I doubt he cares whether you believe him or not, do you really think he'd go to the trouble of making up a fictional scenario just to prove you wrong? :rolleyes: jaded isn't the right word for ya man...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Cons - (1) Entry fees. All nightclubs have entry fees, majority 10euro. (2) The pints are well over priced. 5.60euro where I was last night, price range between 5euro and just over 6euro at times. Shot$ and cocktail$ are a joke. Explains those mornings you wake up wondering feeling like you're 20 short (3) Night clubs and some bars - Do any fellas listen to that shit the DJ pumps out in thier own free time? If so, whats wrong with you?!? (4) The loudness of the music. It feels like my ears are actually trickling blood at times (5) The getting in and out from the suburbs is quite the trek knowing that the odds of pulling by the looks of things are minimal, and the so called players shout "speak for yourself!". ok. (6) Trying to talk to a bird is near impossible at times, by now we should all be lip readers. (6) You have to dance like a dick.
    (7) Very, very few lads actually try it on. Of those very few pull. Most dance floors look like a school disco. Boys and girls dancing with their own mates. Then a bit of mixing but thats it. I've started to notice the amount of fellas and girls outside the bar/club, and inside, without another half when alls over. Of course theres a few pairing off but from my own sober point of view this is exceptional. Most women are rejecting or just walking away from lads who even show a slight interest which is totally fine!!!

)

Have you noticed your friends' eyes glazing over on a regular basis lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

From the Guardian (Charlie Brooker):

I went to a fashionable London nightclub on Saturday. Not the sort of sentence I get to write very often, because I enjoy nightclubs less than I enjoy eating wool. But a glamorous friend of mine was there to "do a PA", and she'd invited me and some curious friends along because we wanted to see precisely what "doing a PA" consists of. Turns out doing a public appearance largely entails sitting around drinking free champagne and generally just "being there".
    Obviously, at 36, I was more than a decade older than almost everyone else, and subsequently may as well have been smeared head to toe with pus. People regarded me with a combination of pity and disgust. To complete the circuit, I spent the night wearing the expression of a man waking up to Christmas in a prison cell.

"I'm too old to enjoy this," I thought. And then remembered I've always felt this way about clubs. And I mean all clubs - from the cheesiest downmarket sickbucket to the coolest cutting-edge hark-at-us poncehole. I hated them when I was 19 and I hate them today. I just don't have to pretend any more.

I'm convinced no one actually likes clubs. It's a conspiracy. We've been told they're cool and fun; that only "saddoes" dislike them. And no one in our pathetic little pre-apocalyptic timebubble wants to be labelled "sad" - it's like being officially declared worthless by the state. So we muster a grin and go out on the town in our millions.

Clubs are despicable. Cramped, overpriced furnaces with sticky walls and the latest idiot theme tunes thumping through the humid air so loud you can't hold a conversation, just bellow inanities at megaphone-level. And since the smoking ban, the masking aroma of cigarette smoke has been replaced by the overbearing stench of crotch sweat and hair wax.

Clubs are such insufferable dungeons of misery, the inmates have to take mood-altering substances to make their ordeal seem halfway tolerable. This leads them to believe they "enjoy" clubbing. They don't. No one does. They just enjoy drugs.

Drugs render location meaningless. Neck enough ketamine and you could have the best night of your life squatting in a shed rolling corks across the floor. And no one's going to search you on the way in. Why bother with clubs?

"Because you might get a shag," is the usual response. Really? If that's the only way you can find a partner - preening and jigging about like a desperate animal - you shouldn't be attempting to breed in the first place. What's your next trick? Inventing fire? People like you are going to spin civilisation into reverse. You're a moron, and so is that haircut you're trying to impress. Any offspring you eventually blast out should be drowned in a pan before they can do any harm. Or open any more nightclubs.

Even if you somehow avoid reproducing, isn't it a lot of hard work for very little reward? Seven hours hopping about in a hellish, reverberating bunker in exchange for sharing 64 febrile, panting pelvic thrusts with someone who'll snore and dribble into your pillow till 11 o'clock in the morning, before waking up beside you with their hair in a mess, blinking like a dizzy cat and smelling vaguely like a ham baguette? Really, why bother? Why not just stay at home punching yourself in the face? Invite a few friends round and make a night of it. It'll be more fun than a club.

Anyway, back to Saturday night, and apart from the age gap, two other things stuck me. Firstly, everyone had clearly spent far too long perfecting their appearance. I used to feel intimidated by people like this; now I see them as walking insecurity beacons, slaves to the perceived judgment of others, trapped within a self- perpetuating circle of crushing status anxiety. I'd still secretly like to be them, of course, but at least these days I can temporarily erect a veneer of defensive, sneering superiority. I've progressed that far.

The second thing that struck me was frightening. They were all photographing themselves. In fact, that's all they seemed to be doing. Standing around in expensive clothes, snapping away with phones and cameras. One pose after another, as though they needed to prove their own existence, right there, in the moment. Crucially, this seemed to be the reason they were there in the first place. There was very little dancing. Just pouting and flashbulbs.

Surely this is a new development. Clubs have always been vapid and awful and boring and blah - but I can't remember clubbers documenting their every moment before. Not to this demented extent. It's not enough to pretend you're having fun in the club any more - you've got to pretend you're having fun in your Flickr gallery, and your friends' Flickr galleries. An unending exhibition in which a million terrified, try-too-hard imbeciles attempt to out-cool each other.

Mind you, since in about 20 years' time these same people will be standing waist-deep in skeletons, in an arid post-nuclear wasteland, clubbing each other to death in a fight for the last remaining glass of water, perhaps they're wise to enjoy these carefree moments while they last. Even if they're only pretending.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Eh, whats the point in saying "if there were no birds at the club?" There ARE birds at the club! Thats the whole point. Did you get shot down last night or something?
    Yup:

Also, you're advocating settling for someone you're not really into but who can be a sperm donor... yet that would then be deemed desperation/bunny-boiler carry-on...

Confuzzlin'...

Advertisement