Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disco bars and Night Clubs, why bother?

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If there is a hell then it's probably inside a nightclub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I hate nightclubs with a passion. If i'm gonna try pick up some girl from a night of drinking it will be in a pub without loud music pumping or expensive drinks. You just need to go to the right areas. Some very good late pubs in areas outside the city center (Dublin). I prefer meeting girls when sober anyways. I don't know how many classes i've had very little interest in that i've took just to meet new women. They're an untapped resource.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

I guess it would depend on the nightclub, the night, the mood I'm in and the company I'm with. I used to really enjoy going with my friends because it'd be the whole lot of us just out for a laugh, but it's not really appealing anymore. I don't know how people can afford to do it every weekend, the prices are ridiculous! I can't get past thinking what better things I could spend all that money on and then the guilt just makes me enjoy my night less :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Tbh I hate the average nightclub too. But I do like having sex. Since I'm single at the moment and dont have the confidence, looks, charm or wherewithal to successfully chat up sober women in the "real" world, I have to get pissed and go to nightclubs. My record is not great but its better than zero. I dont grope, harass or thrust at girls, I just start conversations in smoking areas and hope for the best. Anyone who thinks they are somehow superior or less sleazy to me because they take some stupid class or course to meet women is deluded. We're all just looking for the ride at the end of the day, at least I'm honest about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

If there is a hell then it's probably inside a nightclub.
    Specifically Havana Brown's in Cork...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

guitarzero wrote: »
    WE'HEY! Heres me with my mates in Dandys! Look at us, having the laugh there, on the dance floor acting the lad!!! We dont need women to have a good night cuz we're just having the craic, getting locked, acting the ret-ard, etc....you get my point. I dont believe you.

Why ask people a question and then instantly dismiss their answers?

Is the possibility that people do different things for different reason really that scary to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭mike kelly

I love nightclubs with country and irish live music. lots of randy women looking for men with land

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

As a rule of thumb I find that if a pub or club has wooden floors it tends to be more fun as people there seem to be in a more relaxed friendly social mood. If there isn't a wooden floor I find people play the "lets act cool game" a lot more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

If there isn't a wooden floor I find people play the "lets act cool game" a lot more.
    Ones with carpeted floors? Like in a hotel?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Dudess wrote: »
    Ones with carpeted floors? Like in a hotel?

hmmm..... don't know about carpet. I'll find out next time I'm in a venue with carpeted floors.

I think in general though any night club that is really modern/flashy/shiny withs lots of laser beams and people gyrating on podiums in their underwear tends to have a bad atmosphere for enjoying yourself, I think people their are more likely to be concerned with how other people are perceiving them, so it's hard to let your hair down and enjoy yourself. Maybe the reason is that it's simply a more intimidating environment and people don't feel "good enough" in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

The last time I went out with the intention of pulling was when I pulled my current girlfriend. Only now can I actually say that I'd go out "with de ladz for de craic" and actually mean it (until we break up and the process has to start again).
    Having said that, I have a love hate relationship with modern clubbing (the only clubbing I know, I'm 19). The music is ****, but I can't complain because I have no power over it, so I force myself to enjoy it. The entry fee can be rediculous, but I'm a student so €5 would be good enough for me. And the gobsh1tes that photograph every movement of their night and go on about it on Facebook afterwards...... but I still appreciate if I'm in the picture!

Alternative night: In with a bong, some Dutch, and a good conversation over a low level iPod speaker (with music before the year 2000)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I never liked nightclubs. Even when I was in my late teens, early twenties, I didn't like them. I only went to those places when 'the group' was going and then just drank myself into a fuzzy stupor in an attempt to block out the stupidity. I do not and never have understood the attraction of these places. They're too loud, too dark, quite often too dirty, and too crowded.

Why anybody thinks it's a good idea to stand around with all the lights out, crap music blaring at ear-bleeding volumes with a bunch of drunken idiots is beyond me. I like good music, played at a volume that allows me to speak and more importantly, to hear what my friends are saying.

I suppose those places really are just for younger people. In fact, it's been a real long time since I've been in a nightclub. I would imagine that I'd find it pretty horrible if I were to go into one today. I'd be that guy; the weird creepy older guy who just looks out of place and kind of pervy. Yeah... I'd like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Not a great fan, too many of them have crap music, orange women and are way too crowded. I like to have a bit of space around me when I'm drinking, and at least the illusion of privacy when I meet a girl.

When I was hitching a lift home from Galway, the driver gave me a bit of advice on the way back that stuck with me ever since. If you really want a relationship, don't go to nightclubs - go to a sport or social group such as a martial arts group, book club, drama society, a library or something. You actually get to talk to them and figure out which ones are the one worth getting with rather than the ones that bore you to tears except for in bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I just wish no one would go anywhere for one year. I could do it. Could you? Stick to houses and friends?

I'm so sick of the fact that all through the boom, the vintners association held Government to ransom, "We'll cut off de drink!", more shocking to us Irish than the Arabs cutting off the oil, and now they feel above the recession, where boom prices prevail.

I decided to go for a mid-day pint recently, it was a warm day, I just collected my measley dole, and I can't remember the last time I just sat down on a nice day and had a quiet pint. 5.20 please. At 1.30pm on a Wednesday.

What exactly is the privalege I'm paying for here? HOW are these prices still being charged? We knew it was expensive when we were rolling in cash, but we didn't give a fu*k, because the bank just gave us a quarter mill for a one room bedsit (kitchen, bedroom and living room communal) out in Roscommon, so what's 6.50 for a pint in a club, or 5.50 for a pint in a pub...

I want 90% of the greedy pubs in this country to go out of business. I've barely set foot in one in months, and wont be for a while. Not until it's reasonable at least. I don't mind a fair price, just don't be so blatant about your greed and lack of giving a sh*t that we all know it, because, sadly, we still pay it.

The greedy will stay greedy. Vote with your feet people, have some respect for yourself and don't allow this blatant theft, don't fuel the pub greed, or at least reward the ones who make an effort to be reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭anto2

Ok i now live in Thailand ( full time for 3 years ) .Before i was marryied here i liked the fact that you could go to a bar and be guaranteed a shag,for lttle money .( money is not discussed before hand but you slip her the equivalent of 20 Euro in the morning .)
    I would not marry such a girl however ,and my Thai wife has her own business ( hairdresser shop ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'm quite softly spoken and I've a painful throat if I try to raise my voice/shout in a nightclub.

But isn't that the idea, shut up and drink says the owner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Dudess wrote: »
    Specifically Havana Brown's in Cork...

You've never been to blinkers in athlone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

[Jackass] wrote: »

You really, really wanted to fit that rant in, didn't you? :p

Not that I disagree of course, haven't gone to a pub/club for anything other than live music in months.

Advertisement