Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Urgent technical problem needs solving...

• 25-04-2011 5:30am

This is frustrating the life out of me.

Had a HP laptop which packed it in a while back. The screen no longer comes on and would cost me 500 euro just to replace the screen. Add to that the adaptor is also broken.
    So I changed to MAC a year ago and all is good.

However, I was using Windows Mail on the Laptop and I urgently need to see the saved mail on that computer.

If someone can give me a straightforward way of being able to read that mail, I will bestow many blessings upon them!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Plug the laptop into an external monitor if it is just the screen. Borrow/buy an a/c adapter if necessary. If it is something more wrong with the laptop, the data is probably still OK on the hard disk so you could disassemble the laptop and plug the hard disk in to the Mac or another PC with a USB/IDE/SATA cable. This is straightforward if you are of a technical bent but maybe not otherwise. Probably best to use another PC as you may need Windows Mail to read the mail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Windows mail is primarily used for accessing hotmail accounts. Is it a hotmail/live account? If so is the email still not on the server? As in if you log onto hotmail or live with your details it maybe there?

Ah yes an external monitor. Problem is the adaptor has no power so I cant charge the thing, have gone through two batteries both dead as well. Sent it to a technician to get some power into it. He sent it back and charged me and of course it had no power in it when i got it back

Mail was just in windows mail I configured the account when I bought the laptop. Maybe it is on my mail hosters server I will ask them .

My other problem is being on a tropical island in a third world country which makes everything a lot more painful! But I have just dropped the hard drive into the computer store and they will try and extract for me.

Thanks for the help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Windows Mail is bascially just Outlook Express 2.0, lol.
    By default, any mail you pull down will be deleted from the mail hosters server.

Regarding recovering emails. There might be a way of going into the winmail program directory and copying some of the raw data files there
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-networking/how-do-i-transfer-email-from-windows-mail-to/1b6a88b3-bf7d-4052-86fb-237ccacd15a9
    Somewhat iffy though.

The only other option is to somehow get into your old system again. Throw your HDD into another HP lappy and pray it boots into windows? Then just run winmail as normal and use the export wizard. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Get an external case and pop the hard drive from the broken laptop into it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

norbert64 wrote: »
    Windows Mail is bascially just Outlook Express 2.0, lol.
    By default, any mail you pull down will be deleted from the mail hosters server.

This is not completely true. If it's a live or hotmail account added then it's added by a special url a bit like imap and therefore emails are left on the server. It all depends on the email accounts you added to windows live mail. Let us know how you get on anyway

Managed to get to a machine with win mail on it and use an external hard drive reader. Then had a blackout :D
    Today gona try and convert all the winmail to outlook and then to entourage to see if thats possible. 17,000 emails so somehow need to be able to read it on the MAC!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

It may be easier to install thunderbird on your mac and import them directly from the old laptop hard drive to thunderbird on the mac.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_and_exporting_your_mail

You can just use thunderbird then any time you need your old mails.

Keeps your current email client tidy and you dont have to do a load of importing / exporting.

Yep the shop are exporting now onto thunderbird and hopefully can transfer them tomorrow. Couldnt get it to work with Entourage. Glad to hear its gona work!

Advertisement