Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double yolked eggs

Options
  • 25-04-2011 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

All,

Does anyone know of anywhere (either city or wider county) selling double yolked chicken eggs.

Many thanks.

DC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

Bring your chicken in here and ask for "ovulation induction" and "assisted hatching":

http://www.galwayfertilityunit.ie/services.html

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭doctorchick

Bring your chicken in here and ask for "ovulation induction" and "assisted hatching"

Hmmm, may need some quality semen though - if I mail you out a tube can you supply ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

It's a rare genetic occurrence. Surely they don't know before they crack it open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭whatsyourquota

Ya im sure you cant buy them specifically they just happen..
    A farm near my house where we bought eggs it used to happen quite regularly and one time we even got a triple yolk! Dont think the likely hood of that is very high

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Young hens lay doubles. My brother's hens laid doubles the whole first year and are now laying singles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭doctorchick

It's a rare genetic occurrence. Surely they don't know before they crack it open?

It is true it is not common, but there are certain breeds of chickens when they get to a certain age lay more double yolked eggs. You can have a fairly good guess from the size and shape of the eggs that they are double yolkers - they usually weigh 85g+ and shells are misshapen. You can buy them in the hundreds in English Market in Cork, and I know of one supplier in Scotland that produces many thousands a day.

Not looking to eat them, but need the large egg shells for a research project. Think I may just have to go down to Cork and get them there as I know that is a guaranteed supply.

It is true it is not common, but there are certain breeds of chickens when they get to a certain age lay more double yolked eggs. You can have a fairly good guess from the size and shape of the eggs that they are double yolkers - they usually weigh 85g+ and shells are misshapen. You can buy them in the hundreds in English Market in Cork, and I know of one supplier in Scotland that produces many thousands a day.

Not looking to eat them, but need the large egg shells for a research project. Think I may just have to go down to Cork and get them there as I know that is a guaranteed supply.

Ooh, I think I might have a couple in my fridge, some big wobbly shaped shells in my last batch. You could contact the farm that does the Galway Free Range Eggs, I'm sure they'll at least tell you who could help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Das Kitty wrote: »
    You could contact the farm that does the Galway Free Range Eggs, I'm sure they'll at least tell you who could help you.
    That farm is at cregmore park golf club, if you are looking for it.

Here are the contact details

http://freerangeeggs.ie/contact.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I've bought eggs in Dunnes a few times where more than half had double-yolks.
    I was afraid that the hens were being fed hormones to make them ovulate more frequently so I threw the lot out. Didn't want to start growing boobs all of a sudden :pac:

In the US, the larger producers use a system where all the eggs travel down a large transparent conveyor system where a very bright light shines through. This enables the eggs to be sorted by quality and double-yolked eggs are identified & collected and boxed & sold seperately.

Not sure if they have a similar system here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

dilallio wrote: »
    I've bought eggs in Dunnes a few times where more than half had double-yolks.
    I was afraid that the hens were being fed hormones to make them ovulate more frequently so I threw the lot out. Didn't want to start growing boobs all of a sudden :pac:

They aren't allowed give animals hormones in the EU the way they can in the states, although I guess it could happen....
    In the US, the larger producers use a system where all the eggs travel down a large transparent conveyor system where a very bright light shines through. This enables the eggs to be sorted by quality and double-yolked eggs are identified & collected and boxed & sold seperately.

Not sure if they have a similar system here.

They do that to check if an egg is fertilised I think.

Advertisement