Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] 12 (Dualway) buses damaged in arson attack

Options
  • 25-04-2011 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0425/rathcoole.html
    At least 12 buses have been damaged in a fire at a coach-tour operators on the Naas Road in Dublin.

It is understood the fire may have been started deliberately.

The fire is believed to have started shortly after 5am at Dualway, a private coach tour operator based at an industrial park on the Naas Road in Rathcoole.

Former employee with a grudge?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭joegriffinjnr

Very sad news here, Dualway only took delivery of a new 2011 open top bus this week. Does anyone know what buses were damaged? Dualway have come a very long way and have built up a very good fleet of buses and coaches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Ste.phen wrote: »
    Insurance job? Accidental/faulty bus wiring? Busses have been known to catch fire even when not in use. Why would anyone suspect former staff were responsible instead of some local scumbag arsonists?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They've had worse problems with employees before:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0508/dublin.html

The are getting buses in and out today.

From their site:

Notice:

The Dualway Group advises all customers that there will be no disruption to its schedule this week. All operations will continue as normal. The company does not wish to make any further comment at this stage.

The Dualway Group would like to thank you for your custom, support & consideration.

I wish the Mc Conns the best of luck through this hard period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Insurance job?

Can we do this discussion without the libel please?

• Advertisement

A good few ex Dublin Bus deckers have been lost, what looks like a 96 wrights aswell.

Photo : http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0425/breaking4.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

According to the Herald some irreplaceable vintage busses were destroyed, dose anyone know what they were?

I assume they will be cross hiring from other companies to keep schedules to normal until they sort this out.

I hope they don't mean the routemasters... These are normally parked in the shed though.
    I assume they will be cross hiring from other companies to keep schedules to normal until they sort this out.

Yes this is what they are currently doing. I'm trying to find out what exactly has been lost. A Couple of Open Deckers and one single bus so far, is all I Know so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭ppdub73

This is awful. I use Dualway quite regularly and they provide a vital service. Thank God nobody was injured. I know they have a few Routemasters, in particular some ex-BEA/BA/LT RMA'S. The loss of these would be terrible as so few exist in preservation in their original form. Any update would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 TangoVictor 31

Just saw a short clip on the news, looks like the shed and contents suffered badly aswell as the buses in the yard. Very hard to make out from all the twisted and blackend metal but i thought i saw a routemaster in the shed damaged, hope i'm wrong it, was only a passing glimpse on camera

• Advertisement

I didn't know Dualway had bought RV500. I remember it running out of Clontarf for Dublin Bus not too long ago. Just saw RH132 last Saturday on tour duties.

Absolutely horrible, who and why?

I can sadly confirm that some routemasters are among the victims along with one of the modern low floor deckers and a couple of ex Dublin Bus RH/RA/RV types.

Just to update, latest is 16 buses have been totally destroyed.

Eirebus will provide extra coaches to Dualway. It will be worth keeping an eye out on the tours around town tomorrow to see what is been used. They did have more opendeckers than needed though so will wait and see.

I can sadly confirm that some routemasters are among the victims along with one of the modern low floor deckers and a couple of ex Dublin Bus RH/RA/RV types.

You don't know if any of the RMA's were damaged? I have people as far a field as the US asking me for an update. Thanks in advance.

Hi, sorry that's all I heard. Will not know anything else until tomorrow.

Might be worth your while checking here:
    http://irishtransport.yuku.com/directory

Thanks for that. I'll keep a watch out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

It wasn't too long ago when you would be tripping over those open back Routemasters on Oxford ST, there must be mountains of them lying about. I would guess any of them that were gutted could still be replaced. It would have been worse if an Ex Cie Leyland Titan or something similar got destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

From what I heard on the news it seems there was a break-in. Most likely someone came prepared and determined to cause some serious destruction. My guess is it was either garden variety scumbags or a criminal gang looking for an extortion racket.

Either way, I hope those responsible are caught and punished. Hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Friend of mine had booked Routemaster as part of her wedding celebrations. Dualway have just informed her that all vintage buses were destroyed in the fire. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

irlrobins wrote: »
    Friend of mine had booked Routemaster as part of her wedding celebrations. Dualway have just informed her that all vintage buses were destroyed in the fire. :(

very sad :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

-Chris- wrote: »
    Can we do this discussion without the libel please?

Maybe it was the work of the RPSI Crack Commando Unit.

A sandal was found at the scene.

She should explain her story to the Howth Transport M<useum, they may take pity and offer her a good deal on one of theirs.

Would they hire out a bus? Didn't think they would, they probably wouldn't be licensed/insured for passengers

Would they hire out a bus? Didn't think they would, they probably wouldn't be licensed/insured for passengers
    Worth a try, if they didn't they would know someone that would. I know they have used some of them as movie props.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

She should explain her story to the Howth Transport M<useum, they may take pity and offer her a good deal on one of theirs.

Howth's bus fleet don't have current PSV licences so they can't undertake any hire work. In any case, their Leyland Titans and Tigers and the AEC Regent predate by a considerable few years those Routemasters still in public service so they'd be rather shaky and old in comparison to a RM.

As it happens, if you contacted them they could well put your friend in touch with some of the gentlemen in Ireland that do have preserved buses with current PSV badges.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

There was a 1967 open topper on the green this morning, was your friend looking for an enclosed bus?

Enclosed. Friend is currenly researching possibilities. Thanks for the tips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Oweny

RMA 26 was lost in the fire which had been recently refurbished in the UK
    Also lost RML 2500 which was converted into a executive limo with its very own bar,leather seating and tables on the upper deck,a Mercedes party bus and a 11 month old open topper where also destroyed in the arson attack,Dualway lost 4 Routemasters in the fire RM2005 RMA26 RML 2500 RML---- unknown at this time.
    Hope this information is of some use

O.M.C.

Advertisement